MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM

Economics 2009

Sounds great Jim. Quality is always in demand no matter what profession. I'm truely sorry to hear some of the hard times. I hope things get better for all during these times. Fortunately, I have had the best first few months of a long career. But, I travel to Florida and entertain the snowbirds and work 5-6 nights a week for 6 months. But my regular road work is holding up, so, i won't see much change due to economics. Been playing a regular circuit for years thank goodness.
I have noticed the better KJ's are staying busy while those less talented or i should say, those less prepared, are struggleing to find one night. Its tough, but, it should show those that need to get better either do it, or get out.
Muzicman
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:05 AM

I to hate to hear that folks are having a hard time too. Like you I'm getting plenty of work on the weekends playing guitar and singing. Only Wendesdays have been mushy and I still got a bunch of plubicity PLUS GOT PAID! What I'm tryin to say in a round about way is that everything is working out even though I'm having to make some changes.

IT'S ALL GOOD!

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Economics 2009

Jim, This is why most professionals work hard at every job. The results allow you to do exactly as you are doing. Choose what, when, and how much. Its great to be in charge and not at the mercy of some who don't care. Congratulations to you, enjoy "date night".
By The Way, talked to Billy Joe the other day, he's great except his eyesight is no good. Interestingly, He said he cannot sing to tracks as his timing is so bad he has to have a band that will "double clutch" him back in time. He is certaingly a nice guy.
Muzicman
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
By The Way, talked to Billy Joe the other day, he's great except his eyesight is no good. Interestingly, He said he cannot sing to tracks as his timing is so bad he has to have a band that will "double clutch" him back in time. He is certaingly a nice guy.
Billy is a true entertainer. I'll bet he keeps on performing until he just can't do it anymore. While getting ready to do the show with him. we talked and I really enjoyed hearing his stories. The one about Elvis's band complaining was so real.

I'm glad to hear he's doing okay and that you are getting plenty of work.

Have a great day!

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:38 PM
VIP

Quote:
I have noticed the better KJ's are staying busy while those less talented or i should say, those less prepared, are struggleing to find one night. Its tough, but, it should show those that need to get better either do it, or get out.
Muzicman
Yeah, up here in Maine, I've lost a few gigs to the really "lousy" DJ's because they charge a lot less and the bar owners will take the lower price so THEY can make more. The patrons complain to me about "What are doing, why are they treatin' you like this, what are they, Stupid?? They complain to the bar owner too, but up here even the really lousy KJ's will work if they charge less.

Old March 13th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

If those owners get enough complaints and people stop coming in they will get the message. You get what you pay for.
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:46 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
If those owners get enough complaints and people stop coming in they will get the message. You get what you pay for.
yeah, you're right. But it's different here than in the "big" states. You'll see a "****" DJ come in and play for nuttin', the house is still packed, people will complain to me about it and say "I'm not coming next week if you're not her", but they still come regardless. I think that's because MOST people in Maine do not pay there own bills, it comes from other taxpayers like us, and we're talking MOST people, not just a small percentage. However, I'm not complaining, just keep rollin'. I still have five gigs a week, my wife has two, and we both have full-time jobs, and a house payment of 225 a month that was paid upo 15 years ago.

Old March 16th, 2009, 09:56 AM

things are getting rough here in so.fla. i've been hearing form other kj's that there's a lot of new kj's sprouting out, and they're are going around bars/ retaurants trying to undercut seasoned kj's, i've been getting offers from diff.places and i've been turning it down, i've been giving it to other kj's, that make their living doing karaoke.( most of them are friends of mine ) and i know that they need it more than me. ( it's just a hobby for me ) i only do private parties for now, just like Jim siad it gives me more time to spend my idled time with my 3 yr. old daughter.who can't get enough singing and watching Hanna Montana shows on tv

Last edited by billyo; March 16th, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:00 PM

We have been seeing a downturn in restaurant businesses. So alot of places that had Karaoke, are out of business now or business is bad that they have to cut the karaoke part out... The other part about newer KJ's undercutting the more seasoned and experienced KJ's is also true.... Some are doing a gig for almost nothing...If you're going to do it for almost nothing than you are hurting everyone, to include your own clients....Certainly a sad state indeed.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:16 PM

The worst part is those idiots buying pre-installed hard drives with 50 or 60 thousand illegal songs on them. I had one guy tell me he had to do that to compete. I told him that I would rather not do karaoke than to have to compete that way.
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:28 PM

economics 2009

Although i don't do KJ work myself, instead i do one man shows using tracks, piano, and guitar, i feel it is unfair to list all new kj in the same book. Some are starting out just as the rest of you did, legitimate, and trying to get a start. We all know that to get started you have to get in the door. Usually a lower price will do that. They are doing what they have to do to get started. I read where many of you that are seasoned are continuing to upgrade your equipment. Some of the newer kj's may not have all the bells and whistles you do, but, maybe the same economics we all face dictate what they buy or use.
I'm just saying it isn't fair to lump "all the Newcomer's" in the same bag. Economics may also be forcing them to start a kj business for various reasons. Irregardless, the cream will rise to the top.
This is just an opinion derived from reading this topic, and, an opinion only!
muzicman
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Although i don't do KJ work myself, instead i do one man shows using tracks, piano, and guitar, i feel it is unfair to list all new kj in the same book. Some are starting out just as the rest of you did, legitimate, and trying to get a start. We all know that to get started you have to get in the door. Usually a lower price will do that. They are doing what they have to do to get started. I read where many of you that are seasoned are continuing to upgrade your equipment. Some of the newer kj's may not have all the bells and whistles you do, but, maybe the same economics we all face dictate what they buy or use.
I'm just saying it isn't fair to lump "all the Newcomer's" in the same bag. Economics may also be forcing them to start a kj business for various reasons. Irregardless, the cream will rise to the top.
muzicman
That is why this is a forum. For everyone in the biz or getting into the biz to talk about the state affairs in the biz...Hows it in the Richmond area?
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM
VIP

Quote:
. Irregardless, the cream will rise to the top.
muzicman
Unfortunately, and so does the scum.

Old March 16th, 2009, 02:12 PM

Economics 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Unfortunately, and so does the scum.
You seem a little bitter. I have yet to see "scum" continue to work or get work once they are known as "Scum"!!!
muzicman
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Economics 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
That is why this is a forum. For everyone in the biz or getting into the biz to talk about the state affairs in the biz...Hows it in the Richmond area?
Capt'n Vic, I play in So. Florida during the winter, and am now based in So. Florida. Here i play 4-6 nights a week and am turning down work. I travel up the east coast the rest of the year from Myrtle Beach to Richmond. Have been playing this circuit for 6 years now. I haven't notice any drop-off in my work YET, but have noticed alot of the (just say, lessor of the kj's) kj's are having trouble getting or keeping work. The better seem to be playing about the same. I'll be in Billyo's territory in a few weeks, but by invite, not over there soliciting work, haven't done that in twenty years.
Good luck to you, played the moose in your area several years ago.
muzicman
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Capt'n Vic, I play in So. Florida during the winter, and am now based in So. Florida. Here i play 4-6 nights a week and am turning down work. I travel up the east coast the rest of the year from Myrtle Beach to Richmond. Have been playing this circuit for 6 years now. I haven't notice any drop-off in my work YET, but have noticed alot of the (just say, lessor of the kj's) kj's are having trouble getting or keeping work. The better seem to be playing about the same. I'll be in Billyo's territory in a few weeks, but by invite, not over there soliciting work, haven't done that in twenty years.
Good luck to you, played the moose in your area several years ago.
muzicman
where in so. fla will you be..
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
muzicman

i myself dont have problems on new kj's trying to get gigs, the only problem i have is when they come in with an attitude that they can do the shows better and having just a few hundreds of songs and gears that i wouldnt even used in my garage, i've seen a new kj in a place where he's using a player ( still ) and just a few georgia brown and supercore disc, and people had to used the back side of paper menus to write down their names and songs..in my opinion if you're starting out and undercutting seasoned kj's,at least they should get a descent gear..and for the establishmnet owners i guessed it's true what they say " you get what you paid for "

Last edited by billyo; March 16th, 2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

If these people are just starting out because of today's economics then they are going to have a very tough road ahead of them. The minimum outlay to get a system (even player type instead of computer) is at least 2 -3 thousand and I doubt many of them have that much just laying around. My opinion is they won't last very long without a decent sound system and a fair selection of music.
I don't go out soliciting shows and don't have a need to. I play one location (a VFW that is open to anyone) on Friday and Saturday night. Currently we are not looking for any other locations even though the only other place in the local area has asked us several times if we would consider playing there we have refused because of the way they operate. I wouldn't play in that place unless they built us a cage to protect my equipment.
We are pretty isolated out here in the sticks so don't really have any competition. There are a couple others that play in the area but the VFW has already seen how they run their shows and rejected them, so I think we are pretty secure in that location.
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:26 PM

i have a friend that used to play at a Moose Lodge, they already cut her pay, someone still went in there and undercut her, she lost that job the new people ( man & wife team ) has a few hundred songs and a home type gears...the funny thing was these people comes to her show every friday at the Moose when she used to play there, and from what she told me these people are a friend of the bartender
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:44 PM

Smile Economics 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
where in so. fla will you be..
W. Palm Beach, Some type of Shriner's Shindig
muzicman