MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old February 11th, 2009, 02:08 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
Again, I know i'll catch flak for this, but this is great for the "professional entertainer". They draw the crowds that pay the tab to keep clubs open. "Sometimes, but not always; and, many times crowds just won't go out regardless of whose playing:".They will also play when all others have been tried and failed. "More amateurs will also play then too."Clubs will see this and make the choice to draw crowds. "Some clubs will see it, and many may not."Get the best equipment you can for a quality show. When all else fails, at least you will have something to sell, and not that ole $99 karaoke machine. Just keep on hacking, it'll happen
muzicman

Old February 11th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
I think this is typical of most VFW and legion posts, at least around here anyway.
I have to say I agree with you, and I am the First Vice commander of my post. Well its back to finding gigs at small restaurants and the Moose.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
I have to say I agree with you, and I am the First Vice commander of my post. Well its back to finding gigs at small restaurants and the Moose.
there are a bunch of VFW's out here in So. Fl. and i have a few friends that doe's them..from what i heard from my friends ,they wanted diff. players ( kj ) every fri and sat.and they pay went down from $150 t0 $125, and from what my friends are telling me they ( my friends ) are forced to bring out a tip jar to compensate for the difference.

Last edited by billyo; February 11th, 2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Out here in Northern VA, the various clubs are trying to undercut the KJs out here by hiring at a 100-150 dollar Rate. (4hrs) Hard to deal with the cost of doing business especially if you are constantly adding songs and replacing old equipment, and not getting paid for it.

Good thing I have my daytime job. I hate to see how some of my competitors are doing. Some just are not...
System #1
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old February 11th, 2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Out here in Northern VA, the various clubs are trying to undercut the KJs out here by hiring at a 100-150 dollar Rate. (4hrs) Hard to deal with the cost of doing business especially if you are constantly adding songs and replacing old equipment, and not getting paid for it.

Good thing I have my daytime job. I hate to see how some of my competitors are doing. Some just are not...

yup i'm with you on that ,i just sold all my pa system and my dj gears half of what i paid for it ( over or under $12,000) and just got a new mackie sr1521 z active speakers for $1,700 a new mini laptop for $349 and a cdmix2 for $269 and all brand new cables, + tax, about 2 months ago, i was gonna used it last week, but i got under cut by a beginner..most of us will never recover our investments, i'm just glad that kjing and djing is not my main source of income, i too have a day job...
Old February 11th, 2009, 08:49 PM
VIP

Quote:
That really sux.

Old February 12th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Well Its happening all over, what is one man's poison.....you know the rest.

I will at least keep one rig for now, and sell my old Pyle 1600 Amp and my Yamaha BR15s. Keep the Lexicon unit and my Mackie mixers... Go with two laptops a show and spend the spare time updating my songbooks. Won't let the time go idly by....
System #1
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Well Its happening all over, what is one man's poison.....you know the rest.

I will at least keep one rig for now, and sell my old Pyle 1600 Amp and my Yamaha BR15s. Keep the Lexicon unit and my Mackie mixers... Go with two laptops a show and spend the spare time updating my songbooks. Won't let the time go idly by....

i haven't been buying new cdg's lately,since i'm not doing any karaoke shows, and probably wont be doing it for a while, but i've been buying ( downloading )songs from itunes to keep up with the latest songs,which i always do every month anyway.. i make more money doing 1 dj gig than doing karaoke for a month and in so. fla . theres always a company picnic, company functions, like this sat. ( feb. 14 valentines day) i got 1 gig to do
Old February 16th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Talking so far so good here!

Hi there my name is Gloria and I do kj/dj shows in Northern Wisconsin. I have been wondering if the bad economy would be hitting me, but so far so good. I play thursdays and fridays at one bar. thursdays usually bring in about 40 people and fridays about 70 to 80. The bar owner says it evens out my pay that way. i charge 175 and 225. My saturdays ( 250} are also booked at different bars in the area. I keep my saturdays open for just this reason. Private parties, graduations, picnics. During the winter it is slower (i only do about about 10 shows a month) but than when summer comes I am busy 3 or 4 nights a week.
I quit doing weddings because that is where I have found the rudest people who do not respect myself or my equipment. There are a number of kj/dj's in my area. I can count about 6 on the top of my head, but the reason I am busy is because...>>>>I made out a survey and passed them around for a couple of months, This is the feedback I got>>>
1) I DO NOT DRINK while I am doing a show I will have 2 soda's and switch to water. (This is the one of the top reasons with the bar owners)
2) I will play 5 hours sometimes even 6 hours (private parties only for the 6 hours but than i charge 300 bucks for a private party) for one price. If the customers are having fun they drink more and dance more so if they stay longer the bar gets more money in the till and I consider it a freebie hour for them,
3) My music both dj and kj will be up to date with the latest songs. I add new karaoke music every two weeks. I have people driving 20+ miles to follow me.
4) I have an huge outgoing personality and can relate to every age. Yeah I am crazy, fun, I also can sing when needed. This was one of the top reasons people come out to visit with me. I do not have favortism with just a few ( you would not believe how many kj do this) everyone is my #1!!!
5) I have 5 WIRELESS mics and hook up to the bars tv's so you can dance around the bar as you sing (or ON the bar) customers love not having to share microphones
6) I have props. wigs, tamborines, handclappers, hats, beads, maracas, guitars, saxaphones and many sound effects. bingo, twister, sassy dice games. Yeah they get
broken or even brought home but oh well
7) This is my only job! I LOVE my job (AND IT SHOWS}
8) My sound system is better than the other kj's in the area.
9) i have a light show. fog machine, cams and 7 other lighting props.

I am not saying that I am the best, but I sure do everything and anything to make everyone feel like they are number one when they come up to sing.
I am 51 years young and this is the most fun I have ever had at a job. IT is also the HARDEST job I have ever had.
visit me at www.myspace.com/glorioke_dj_karaoke and look at some of the crazy pics
Old February 16th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaokeG View Post
Hi there my name is Gloria and I do kj/dj shows in Northern Wisconsin. I have been wondering if the bad economy would be hitting me, but so far so good. I play thursdays and fridays at one bar. thursdays usually bring in about 40 people and fridays about 70 to 80. The bar owner says it evens out my pay that way. i charge 175 and 225. My saturdays ( 250} are also booked at different bars in the area. I keep my saturdays open for just this reason. Private parties, graduations, picnics. During the winter it is slower (i only do about about 10 shows a month) but than when summer comes I am busy 3 or 4 nights a week.
I quit doing weddings because that is where I have found the rudest people who do not respect myself or my equipment. There are a number of kj/dj's in my area. I can count about 6 on the top of my head, but the reason I am busy is because...>>>>I made out a survey and passed them around for a couple of months, This is the feedback I got>>>
1) I DO NOT DRINK while I am doing a show I will have 2 soda's and switch to water. (This is the one of the top reasons with the bar owners)
2) I will play 5 hours sometimes even 6 hours (private parties only for the 6 hours but than i charge 300 bucks for a private party) for one price. If the customers are having fun they drink more and dance more so if they stay longer the bar gets more money in the till and I consider it a freebie hour for them,
3) My music both dj and kj will be up to date with the latest songs. I add new karaoke music every two weeks. I have people driving 20+ miles to follow me.
4) I have an huge outgoing personality and can relate to every age. Yeah I am crazy, fun, I also can sing when needed. This was one of the top reasons people come out to visit with me. I do not have favortism with just a few ( you would not believe how many kj do this) everyone is my #1!!!
5) I have 5 WIRELESS mics and hook up to the bars tv's so you can dance around the bar as you sing (or ON the bar) customers love not having to share microphones
6) I have props. wigs, tamborines, handclappers, hats, beads, maracas, guitars, saxaphones and many sound effects. bingo, twister, sassy dice games. Yeah they get
broken or even brought home but oh well
7) This is my only job! I LOVE my job (AND IT SHOWS}
8) My sound system is better than the other kj's in the area.
9) i have a light show. fog machine, cams and 7 other lighting props.

I am not saying that I am the best, but I sure do everything and anything to make everyone feel like they are number one when they come up to sing.
I am 51 years young and this is the most fun I have ever had at a job. IT is also the HARDEST job I have ever had.
visit me at www.myspace.com/glorioke_dj_karaoke and look at some of the crazy pics

i'm not sure if i can do what youre doing, i dont remember doing a gig whether i'm djing or kjing without having some liquid courage, most of the time people will buy or bring me drinks, especially when i get them to dance all night..i too quit doing weddings, it's very easy to do, easy money. i just don't like programs, i dont like it when they give you a list of songs that they wanted and change it after you have all the songs on your playlist ready... i have a big truss lighting system but i only use them on big venues, thats a lot of setting up and tear down, hope you have someone helping you, and i hope you don't bring 'em to all the karaoke shows that you do, thats a lot of set up and tear down..i never thought of bringing or using any props...
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Smile yes i do it alone

I do all the set up and tearing down on my own and haul it into my trailer. But I do admit some of my Glorioke Groupies will come early (kudos to Krytal) and help me unload my trailer. I do not need liquid courage. haha i can belt out a tune anywhere anytime with or withour music hahahaha. Oh and yes I do bring my lights most the time. I do not bring them when i do a day party outside no sense in that! IT is a pain, My trailer is long enough that I just leave some lights on my bar than i have a big industrial wrap to put around them.So far that is working out pretty good. I have been thinking of relocating because these winters up here in the nort woods are pretty long and cold. But after what I have been reading lately maybe I should just stick around here. I am thankful that I do have a job. Good Luck everyone!!!!
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaokeG View Post
I do all the set up and tearing down on my own and haul it into my trailer. But I do admit some of my Glorioke Groupies will come early (kudos to Krytal) and help me unload my trailer. I do not need liquid courage. haha i can belt out a tune anywhere anytime with or withour music hahahaha. Oh and yes I do bring my lights most the time. I do not bring them when i do a day party outside no sense in that! IT is a pain, My trailer is long enough that I just leave some lights on my bar than i have a big industrial wrap to put around them.So far that is working out pretty good. I have been thinking of relocating because these winters up here in the nort woods are pretty long and cold. But after what I have been reading lately maybe I should just stick around here. I am thankful that I do have a job. Good Luck everyone!!!!
wow! you probably go to your gigs about 2 hrs. early, if your setting up everything you have, it takes me about 1/2 hr. to set up and tear down my gears, most of my stuff are in a custom built case, all i have to do is set up my speakers and plug them into my board..im in so. fla, it gets cold ( in my opinion anyway )about 2 weeks out of the year
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:57 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
wow! you probably go to your gigs about 2 hrs. early, if your setting up everything you have, it takes me about 1/2 hr. to set up and tear down my gears, most of my stuff are in a custom built case, all i have to do is set up my speakers and plug them into my board..im in so. fla, it gets cold ( in my opinion anyway )about 2 weeks out of the year
Sheesh, All my gigs are within a mile radius of each other and less than a mile from my home, have 5 this week, at three of them the equipment is permanently installed and use their microphones, too.

The other two have my equipment there on a regular basis and no one else plays on stage except us. I usually arrive 15 minutes before the show, sometimes walk from home, and start 5 minutes early, and am home by 12:30 or 1 am. Usually make between 150 and 200 a night in Central Maine where you can get a rent for 300 a month and still buy a beer for less than a dollar. We feel we're sort of lucky too. And we both have regular jobs that pay good salaries and pay all our insurances (medical, dental, vision, etc). We believe Hoster made this all possible for us.

Old February 17th, 2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Sheesh, All my gigs are within a mile radius of each other and less than a mile from my home, have 5 this week, at three of them the equipment is permanently installed and use their microphones, too.

The other two have my equipment there on a regular basis and no one else plays on stage except us. I usually arrive 15 minutes before the show, sometimes walk from home, and start 5 minutes early, and am home by 12:30 or 1 am. Usually make between 150 and 200 a night in Central Maine where you can get a rent for 300 a month and still buy a beer for less than a dollar. We feel we're sort of lucky too. And we both have regular jobs that pay good salaries and pay all our insurances (medical, dental, vision, etc). We believe Hoster made this all possible for us.

it takes me 10 minutes to get where i used to play, i never leave my gears anywhere, i knew a kj who used to leave his gears where he used to play and one night when he went to play, ( he used to play 1 night a week someone came and asked him who he was when he told them that he's the kj, they said not anymore and when he's about to tear down his gears, he was told that the gears where part of the sale of the place, ( apparently he was talking to the new owner ) the place was sold and the old owner didnt tell him..took him months to get his equipments back and all the while the new owner was letting someone using it..

Last edited by billyo; February 17th, 2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: bad idea to leave your gears
Old February 18th, 2009, 02:21 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
it takes me 10 minutes to get where i used to play, i never leave my gears anywhere, i knew a kj who used to leave his gears where he used to play and one night when he went to play, ( he used to play 1 night a week someone came and asked him who he was when he told them that he's the kj, they said not anymore and when he's about to tear down his gears, he was told that the gears where part of the sale of the place, ( apparently he was talking to the new owner ) the place was sold and the old owner didnt tell him..took him months to get his equipments back and all the while the new owner was letting someone using it..
He did get it back though, and that stuff doesn't happen in maine. Everyone knows everyone, and as soon as something different comes about (like the sale of a place) everyone knows it, even before the owner. And, I can literally see all this stuff from my bedroom window.

Old February 18th, 2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
He did get it back though, and that stuff doesn't happen in maine. Everyone knows everyone, and as soon as something different comes about (like the sale of a place) everyone knows it, even before the owner. And, I can literally see all this stuff from my bedroom window.

yup he got it back, but not for a while and he wasnt able to do any gig , till he got his stuff back, can't imagine how much money he lost.So. Fla. is kinda big county and there are i believed 385 bars/restaurants around, we're about 45 minutes away from Ft. Lauderdale so we get a bunch of people coming up our way and most of the times bars changed hands...
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM

I'm still at the same place that I started. The bar turned over ownership the last time and I started shortly after that. The location had problems making it in the past and had several owners in a two year stretch but we instantly got things going on the weekends. We now do four nights a week. To help with their cost, the house purchased a PA but I provide the Karaoke equipment, mics and songs. I reduced my weekend price from 175 to 150 as I do not have to ever set up or tear down. The bar has an option for an additional hour for 25 on the weekends and rarely doesn't use it. I have three guys that work for me. I take Wednesday and Friday, I have one person who does both Karaoke and Rock band on Thursdays, and another who usually takes Saturdays. Fridays gets way crazy so I usually split that night with the last guy. I hand trained all of them to do things the way I want (most times LOL) so people can have just as good of a time no matter who is working. The great thing is, we can sub for each other if needed. The owners love us because they know the location would not have made it without us and business has never been better.
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo View Post
Quote:
I'm still at the same place that I started. The bar turned over ownership the last time and I started shortly after that. The location had problems making it in the past and had several owners in a two year stretch but we instantly got things going on the weekends. We now do four nights a week. To help with their cost, the house purchased a PA but I provide the Karaoke equipment, mics and songs. I reduced my weekend price from 175 to 150 as I do not have to ever set up or tear down. The bar has an option for an additional hour for 25 on the weekends and rarely doesn't use it. I have three guys that work for me. I take Wednesday and Friday, I have one person who does both Karaoke and Rock band on Thursdays, and another who usually takes Saturdays. Fridays gets way crazy so I usually split that night with the last guy. I hand trained all of them to do things the way I want (most times LOL) so people can have just as good of a time no matter who is working. The great thing is, we can sub for each other if needed. The owners love us because they know the location would not have made it without us and business has never been better.

thats not much of a profit ( for you ) if you make $150 a night and have 3 guys working for you..
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:45 PM

Well, I get $100 myself for Wed. I get $175 most times on one Friday and $85 the other. If I can cover the costs of my equipment, CDs and tab, I'm happy. It is a hobby for me..
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:34 AM

Now................The Rest Of The Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
Where are you located and how are the present economic changes effecting your Karaoke business at the start of 2009?

I host karaoke in South Georgia USA. At one place where I hosted karaoke for over two years I had to stop. Their lunch business fell off and I acquired a large group of water drinkers that helped kill the karaoke. Here is the thread on the water drinkers:

http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=10633

I started working a bigger room but there was very little business. It's been a slow start but the karaoke is picking up nicely. At one club where I work weekly there has been little change other than having to close an hour earlier. At another place we are getting a later crowd.

I've also been putting off buying some new songs. My belt is pulled up tight but I'm still breathing.

I'm very thankful for the opportunity to entertain for a living and I'm not complaining but I feel I can safely say that this turn of events was set in motion by The United State's sluggish economy. Some of us may have to make adjustments and some may not but either way I know GOD has it under control and will keep us going no matter the economic changes.

I'm just curious, how are things in your back yard or across the pond? Anybody else seeing changes in their business?

Jim
I just lost the "bigger room" but made enough money last weekend playing guitar and singing to place an order for some new CD+G discs.

Before this gig went down, the club owner made me the most well know Karaoke host in town by advertising my show on the radio. Now folks who don't go in the bars know about Mad Jim's Karaoke. We even did two, two hour live broadcasts giving away $93 (93.9 FM) the second week. (Has anybody ever broadcast karaoke or heard karaoke on the radio before?)

I lost a gig but I paid off one credit card before it went down so I don't need as much income to keep things going. Also I now have my Wednesday nights off to spend with my wife who I love dearly. Wednesdays might become date night. All things around here aren't booming but they haven't stopped either. The other two places I host karaoke are very busy. GOD's keeping me going.

Two places are waiting to hear from me if something opens up, which it just did but man.......date nights sure are alot of fun!

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200

Last edited by madjim- with the Lord; March 13th, 2009 at 04:41 AM.