MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old October 10th, 2007, 08:08 PM

Cool what kind of mixer do you use

i have a Mackie Mixer with Crown or QSC amp, EV speakers & JBL, that i love.
wanting to build a second system, because i DJ a lot as well. Need tup update from low end Behringer mixer. What type of mixers are you all using? Does anyone use the vocopro mixers? or what is the best out there?

thanks,
randy
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:35 PM

I use an older VocoPro mixer (7000 model). I have had it for years, works well. I am in the process of looking for somthing newer myself. I was looking at the newer Vocopro models, but I have had a hell of a time trying to get in touch with VocoPro to ask questions. I would be interested in others KJ/DJ responces too.

Good luck Randy.....

Cableguy
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:25 AM
VIP

Wouldn't use Vocopro if they paid me & gave me their products to demo. I use Mackie mixers personally.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Behringer Xenyx 2222FX Mixer run through a Kustom amp.
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:48 AM
VIP

Behringer 1404FX, nice clean effects and sound fed to two JB Eon 15 powered amps, also really clean sound.
Make a great, light, compact, arrangement for any venue. Always get compliments on sound as compared to the 1/2 dozen other guys in Central Maine.

Old October 11th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Hey Lonman what model do you use with Makie?

I have a Vocopro, it is one of the first they made, I am looking for a new one. I do hear Mackie one of the top line manunaftures. Any suggestions on models? Something that would work well with Karaoke...

Cableguy
Old October 11th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Kind of mixer

I have been playing for thirty years, had Mackie, Tapco, Behringer, Peavey, EV, Shure, Etc.. I now use a Yamaha Mg12 with built in effects. So easy to use, i like the slide volume control versus the knob. Built in effects are great. I have used this mixer with an array of EV SX300 with subs and now with Bose L1 Systems. Best, cleanest sound i have ever used or heard. Mackie would be my second choice, but the knobs makes volume fine tuning on the go a little tougher.

muzicman
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:24 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
Hey Lonman what model do you use with Makie?

I have a Vocopro, it is one of the first they made, I am looking for a new one. I do hear Mackie one of the top line manunaftures. Any suggestions on models? Something that would work well with Karaoke...

Cableguy
Right now I use a CFX12 but have a 1642-VLZiii on order. But really if you are doing both dj & karaoke I would keep 2 separate mixers - 1 for dj & 1 for karaoke - 2 different forms of entertainment & other than an Allen & Heath Xone 464 that is virtually a great dj board & a KILLER 4 channel live mixer as well (but for a $1500 price), I have never seen a really good combo mixer that I personally thought sounded good, just my opinion, but I am very picky about the sound.
The little Yamaha mentioned is pretty good as well.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:58 PM

I was noticing Yamaha had a nice looking mixer that you could directly plug via usb your computer directly into it. Is anyone doing that yet?? I use Echo I DJ card, and great, but maybe overkill, is nice i can run DJ software and Hoster from PC and two independent sound ports, through one set of RCA cords to 1/4" into mixer, looking to add second laptop and KJ to business though, so ideas are great.

Thanks,
Randy
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Frequent Member

i have peavy, mackie, behringer, pioneer.
but i like my vocopro 7000 best.
sweet little board, high gain on mic channels, and all the video on board.
they work great. add a good eq and your set. Bob
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:24 AM

i use all mackie booards. dfx12, cfx12 nd a dfx6 and a pair powered srm 450's..i also have (2) 3 way jbl sound factor speakers (2 ) 2 way jbl sound factor speakers ( 2 )peavey sp118 sub and (2 )rbs peavey sub ( has 2 18" basket per cabinet ) 2 crown amps ce1000 and ce2000 and 4 older type peavey amps ( don't use them anymore )1 numark cdmix2 ( dual tray ) 1 stanton dual cd tray mixer , 2 krk 6" studio monitor with 10" sub 2 yamaha stage monitor and a racks of efx and a bunch of road ready rack cases( I used to dj big venues )anyone wants to buy

Last edited by billyo; October 13th, 2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncall View Post
i have a Mackie Mixer with Crown or QSC amp, EV speakers & JBL, that i love.
wanting to build a second system, because i DJ a lot as well. Need tup update from low end Behringer mixer. What type of mixers are you all using? Does anyone use the vocopro mixers? or what is the best out there?

thanks,
randy
i wouldn't touch a vocopro or a behringer mixer i had a behringer i bought it caused it was not that expensive( i only had it for a month and used it 2x ) and just to try it , i can't remember the model but it's was a digital board with all the efx..i sold it less that i paid for it to a friend who was just starting a karaoke business..
Old October 13th, 2007, 02:56 PM

I guess it depends on what Behringer you have and what amp and speakers you are using. I l have gotten many compliments on my sound and the reverb effects for the Microphones from quite a few band singers. I believe the one Bryant is using is about the same as the one I have. Hey, as long as the singers are happy, thats what its all about. I have checked out some of the competition around here and most don't even have a monitor speaker on stage. My singers like to be able to hear themselves.
Old October 14th, 2007, 01:25 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
i wouldn't touch a vocopro or a behringer mixer i had a behringer i bought it caused it was not that expensive( i only had it for a month and used it 2x ) and just to try it , i can't remember the model but it's was a digital board with all the efx..i sold it less that i paid for it to a friend who was just starting a karaoke business..
What model behringer?

Old October 14th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Cool Mixers

Just my opinion, but, you can take just about any type mixer and get a good sound if you have the speakers to match up. We can argue the pros and cons of all mixers and never agree. The best mixer won't get good sound without quality speakers, but a cheap mixer can get good sound with high quality speakers. Each mixer has its own little things we like and dislike. Sometimes we buy the name, "Allen & Heath, Mackie", Etc., but that doesn't guarantee you will get good sound. It is a combination of Mixer, effects, sound processors and quality speakers and you must add a person with a little sound knowledge to the mix.
Just an opinion
muzicman
Old October 14th, 2007, 03:24 PM

what do you mean by sound processor? I am not new to singing, but am new to running sound!
thanks
Old October 14th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Frequent Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
Just my opinion, but, you can take just about any type mixer and get a good sound if you have the speakers to match up. We can argue the pros and cons of all mixers and never agree. The best mixer won't get good sound without quality speakers, but a cheap mixer can get good sound with high quality speakers. Each mixer has its own little things we like and dislike. Sometimes we buy the name, "Allen & Heath, Mackie", Etc., but that doesn't guarantee you will get good sound. It is a combination of Mixer, effects, sound processors and quality speakers and you must add a person with a little sound knowledge to the mix.
Just an opinion
muzicman
I agree 100%
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates
Old October 14th, 2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncall View Post
what do you mean by sound processor? I am not new to singing, but am new to running sound!
thanks
sound processors are an outboard equipments that can recreate or restores audio to theire original sounds..
Old October 14th, 2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Just an opinion
muzicman

i kinda agree and dis-agree with you.. i have tried a few boards outhere..and im kinda partial to mackies i've used behringer for a few days and plugged in my mackie powered speakers.the sound quality is not not that great.even with my processors plugged in ( BBE sound maximixer , 266 DBX compressor /gate, MPX Lexicon 100 dual channel proc. and an Aphex Aural Exciter ) i've tried the Boise tower speakers in which in my opinion is great for playbacks not for vocals..but anyway its just my opinion, and i agree with you , you have to have a bit of knowledge to do a mix..
Old October 14th, 2007, 07:29 PM
VIP

Quote:
It is a combination of Mixer, effects, sound processors and quality speakers and you must add a person with a little sound knowledge to the mix.
Just an opinion
muzicman

I think we all know that.