MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old May 5th, 2020, 04:46 PM

Songs database Problem

HI there, I have my songs on different drives for backups one folder is on my C Drive one is on my E drive and one is on an external usb drive.
when I go to build database there is no drive information/ location as to where my songs are I don\'t see any drive letter its blank so I select the ADD folder I choose a folder and it goes through the checks to rebuild database you see that its come up with all the files and says there is zero files added and a message saying there is as many dups as there is songs. but the point is the is never a drive or location where the files its found are the box is blank.
On the old version there used to be a list of drives / locations where my files are and quite often I select a drive and folder where I know my files are and when I look in Hoster there are zero songs there. could you please help
Old May 6th, 2020, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Songs database Problem

You can only build your database from a single copy, any backup databases should not be included in the build database dialog.
Is your E drive an internal drive with just backup copies of your files or is it an extension of your database ?

If it contains backup copies of the database then you should add those folders to the Excluded folders list. this will prevent you getting as many duplicated database entries.

Once you have excluded any files from backup folders.

If the list of file paths is still empty press the rebuild database button this will rebuild an empty database and clear any old entries.
Now use the Add Folders Button or If your sure your not adding Duplicated folders from other drives Add folders/Subfolders button.

Now check that it retains the list of file paths after closing and restarting.

Check that the Indexed folders button is highlighted when viewing the file path list.
Attached Images
File Type: png Build database.png (48.7 KB, 8 views)
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old May 6th, 2020, 07:18 AM

I have my list of song in 3 different places First is on my C,: drive the second is on my E:drive which both are on my pc and a third on my external USB drive.
So at the moment if I go into build database there are no drives or folders indicated in the big white box under the selection buttons. All I have is the new songs with 3084 in it. So now If I try to Add folder I go to desktop which is where my folder is on my C drive open the folder it then goes off to build my database doesn\'t come up with any errors and says 0 songs added into songs database 3084 duplicate BookIds found I can understand the why it says this because all my backups on all my drives/folders all have the same files in them .what I dont understand is why I dont have a list of my drives / folders in the box below that I have added a folder. It used to have a list of all my drives and folder where my songs were after I added the folder.At the moment it is totally blank.
Old May 6th, 2020, 08:58 AM

High there Roy thank you for your assistance I have just noticed that I went to play a track when it said It was on my USB drive which I have not connected so My question is how do I change to a drive which is on my pc that has the songs on. that\'s what I meant earlier do I need to delete the database file in the MTU directory then do a fresh rebuild database using my drive on my pc or is there another way, I just wanted to Use my USB drive as a backup incase of failure. How easy is it If I have a failure on my drive with my songs on to use my backup USB drive and how would I do this. I hope this is much easier to understand than the last comment I made.
Old May 6th, 2020, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

If as you say the file path list shows as a blank list, not as shown in my previous attachment.
While it is showing blank press the rebuild database button and it should very quickly come up with something like no songs in database, which will mean it has created an empty database. This is a good thing at this point because when you start the next procedure it wont be creating duplicate entries.

Once it reports no songs in database Use the ADD songs button and brows to a folder containing your songs on your C drive, make sure to go right into the folder so that it shows a list of the songs then press select. It should then add all the songs in that folder to the list and Database.
After that it should show that folder path in the List of folders. if not something else is wrong.
Assuming that folder listed OK either add each folder one at a time or use the Add Folders/Subfolders button to auto Add all folders in the in the tree below that starting folder. it should build the database as each folder is indexed.

Now regarding your E drive providing that contains unique songs that are not copies or backup files continue to add those folders.
If the files on the E Drive are just Backup files then do not index them.

Regarding quickly changing to a backup drive.
All your songs would have to be on a single drive
it would be best to only load your songs onto your E drive only.
Build your database to your E drive only no songs on C.

Then copy the files on the E Drive to Your USB drive making it an exact replica of the E drive so that the file paths are the same Except for the starting volume letter.

Now in the event of a failure of your E drive you could go into Disc management and Change the File path Of your E Drive To anything else available, then Plug in your USB drive and go back into Disc management and set that to E drive, that would then act the same as your E Drive.

Alternately you can Just plug the USB drive in, Open Hoster Edit dialog and select My drive has changed and choose the drive letter of your USB.
I have not used this lst method not sure if it rebuilds database or works instantly but know others who have used it so know it works.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.