MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:59 PM

Thumbs up 4.005 won't run on Vista Business - Microstudio 4.006 fixes problem

Hi !

I searched the forum, but did not find this issue.

I just purchased and installed 4.005 on my laptop running

Vista Business
2GHz Duo
2GB ram
ATI Mobility Radeon x2300 with 64 dedicated RAM, 800+MBram available
DIrectX10

Microstudio installed with out issues, but when I launch it, it never comes up on my desktop. I can see the process running at about 45% cpu, but never shows.

EDIT: to add, the task does not show in applications list, but only in processes.

I have .Net Framework 2.0 and ran windows updates.

I am now at a road block on what to try next.

Any ideas?

Thanks !
Brent
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

When you ran the Windows Update, did you use the Auto Update or the Express Update from their website?
If so you need to run the Custom Update to get other updates that Microsoft does not consider as critical.
The other thing I can think of right now is to look at the Microstudio folder with Windows Explorer. At the top of the window you will see a button labeled Compatability Files. You need to turn this on.
Last I would say try uninstalling it, restart the computer, then re-install and restart it again. It may just be that a component of it didn't install correctly.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:16 PM

Thanks Dale.

Might be worse then I thought. I do not see a "Compatibility Files" button ??? Is there an option to make that button available?

I did a custom all available updates.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know about that. It should be there if it hasn't been set before and the default for Vista is to not have it set. Did you try reloading the program?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:00 PM

Did the demo program work?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM

I stripped out the program, and installed again. No Change.

I stripped out the program, and installed the demo. Same ting.

I launch it, and get the hourglass for a couple of seconds. The application initializes in the task mamanger, but not in the applications list. The app is not froze as I can watch CPU and memory usages chnages constantly. Over time, the memory usage will keep climbing.

I also removed all .net Framework and patches , and reinstalled.

Really at a loss here.

I should have tried the demo before paying for the product
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

There is one thing else you can try. That would be turning the UAC (User Account Control) off. This is Vista's major change in the way that the user accounts security works.
You can also set the Microstudio.exe program file to run in Administrator mode and that may let it come up.
Try checking your applications event log and see if there are any entries concerning Microstudio in there that might give us a hint, why it won't run.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
There is one thing else you can try. That would be turning the UAC (User Account Control) off. This is Vista's major change in the way that the user accounts security works.
You can also set the Microstudio.exe program file to run in Administrator mode and that may let it come up.
Try checking your applications event log and see if there are any entries concerning Microstudio in there that might give us a hint, why it won't run.
I had tried the Run as admin earlier, no good.

Also Disables UAC, no change.

I have also been through the event logs looking for some kind of a clue.

I even removed all my MS Visual Studio, and SQL server tools. I have stripped down this laptop , and nothing seems to phase it !

I appreciate your replies !
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

The main difference here with your setup is Vista Business. I don't believe anyone else has tried to use it. Most have either Vista Home or Vista Ultimate. I have no clue what the difference is, but can't believe that Microsoft would totally prevent any program from running.
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrodb View Post
I
I also removed all .net Framework and patches , and reinstalled.
If you don't reinstall .NET FRAMEWORK, any further efforts to solve the problem will be fruitless, as it is a requirement.

Just curious. Have you tried opening the program direct from Microstudio.exe in the Microstudio folder?

c:\Program files\Micro Technology Unlimited\Microstudio\Microstudio.exe

Just wondering if there's a glitch in the shortcut...probably not, would be too simple, but who knows.

Erectile dysfunction treatment

Last edited by George; January 24th, 2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
If you don't reinstall .NET FRAMEWORK, any further efforts to solve the problem will be fruitless, as it is a requirement.

I did

thanks!
Old January 24th, 2008, 06:44 PM

i had problems with vista

try to right click on the icon or micro studio run as admin worked for me could not access compatible either or acu would not solve had to run as admin in vista home premium hope this helps
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray ray View Post
try to right click on the icon or micro studio run as admin worked for me could not access compatible either or acu would not solve had to run as admin in vista home premium hope this helps
Did all those too !

I am now trying to decide

1. Install XP pro on my laptop
2. Format and reinstall VISTA BIZ
3. Install on my desktop, not my first choice
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrodb View Post
Did all those too !

I am now trying to decide

1. Install XP pro on my laptop
2. Format and reinstall VISTA BIZ
3. Install on my desktop, not my first choice
Norrob, we have another option for you!

It is clear from your posts, and those helping you, that something in Microstudio 4.005 doesn't display the screen in Vista Business. We are right now preparing 4.006 Beta 1, and to help all of us diagnose what is happening on your Vista Business system, we are adding trace commands that will save their events into a log file.

I will email you a link to get the 4.006 Beta 1 Installation file. All you will need to do is install it, then run it, then locate the log file (we'll tell you where it will be) and post it in this Thread so all the terrific helpers here can see the progress.

Expect an email later today from MTU. We are in North Carolina on Eastern Standard Time zone. You can do this when you have time, posting your results as soon as you can. We'll be watching for your post.

Version 4.006 Beta 1 will NOT be able to Import Tracks. This is a major overhaul we are doing, and it is currently broken. However, to diagnose how to make Microstudio, and our other programs work with Vista Business is worth getting this Beta 1 out today. We want to remove this problem before we release 4.006.

If all goes well, we expect to release 4006 Monday, February 4th, depending on what we find from your log results and our other ongoing work.
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Norrob, we have another option for you!

Cool ! You caught me just in time. I was going to format my laptop after lunch !

I eagerly await the Beta, and will help with the debug tracing.

I am in EST as well !

Thanks !
Brent
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Administrator

norrobd, we are hoping you can run our 4.006 Beta 1 version I sent you the link to, with a special debug logging feature, and then post your results and the .log file in this Thread.

We want to work on this problem first thing Monday (tomorrow) morning. If we don't get your log file, we'll have to displace this until later in the week to keep moving forward.
Old January 28th, 2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
norrobd, we are hoping you can run our 4.006 Beta 1 version I sent you the link to, with a special debug logging feature, and then post your results and the .log file in this Thread.

We want to work on this problem first thing Monday (tomorrow) morning. If we don't get your log file, we'll have to displace this until later in the week to keep moving forward.

Thanks for the link. Looks like I won't be of much help.

I installed the Beta, and the application runs fine !

So then I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled 4005. It now runs fine too :() I have not done anything with my laptop since we first started. I was in Atlanta, and flew back to Pittsburgh, so my laptop has been sitting all weekend.

This is the order of things.

Installed 4005 - not working
Fully Updated Windows 4005 not working.
Removed .Net Framework and reinstalled. No change
Removed 4005
Installed Demo version. - Same reults.
Uninstalled demo
Installed Beta - It ran fine.
For grins, uninstalled Beta, reinstalled 4005 and it works fine !

Not sure what to tell you now except doesn't look like VISTA BIZ edition is an issue? Of course my UAC is still disabled.

I really appreciate your efforts.
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

I forgot to mention this change we made in 4.006 Beta 1:

FIXED Windows Vista Compatibility - Vista does not allow editing or changing any files saved in the \Program File\ path. Version 4.006 detects Windows VISTA on installation. If updating a prior Microstudio version (including 4.005), existing working files are automatically moved from the C:\Program Files\... folder to a new C:\Documents and Settings\[User]\Local Settings\Application Data\MTU\Microstudio\ folder. For new installations the working files are created in this new folder.

This would explain why 4.006 worked, and 4.005 also worked after installing 4.006. The working files that we use and EDIT, that Vista doesn't like being in C:\Program Files\ path are now moved. That would totally explain what you saw.

Thus, this has been an excellent test and verification that our changes are working.

We are moving on with 4.006 Beta 2, which has a major overhaul of our Import Tracks code to automatically retry when any error remains after the first read from the disc track.

Watch for its release. It'll be a free upgrade for you from 4.005.

Thanks again for your feedback.
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Awesome support guys

Quote:
I forgot to mention this change we made in 4.006 Beta 1:

FIXED Windows Vista Compatibility - Vista does not allow editing or changing any files saved in the \Program File\ path. Version 4.006 detects Windows VISTA on installation. If updating a prior Microstudio version (including 4.005), existing working files are automatically moved from the C:\Program Files\... folder to a new C:\Documents and Settings\[User]\Local Settings\Application Data\MTU\Microstudio\ folder. For new installations the working files are created in this new folder.

This would explain why 4.006 worked, and 4.005 also worked after installing 4.006. The working files that we use and EDIT, that Vista doesn't like being in C:\Program Files\ path are now moved. That would totally explain what you saw.

Thus, this has been an excellent test and verification that our changes are working.

We are moving on with 4.006 Beta 2, which has a major overhaul of our Import Tracks code to automatically retry when any error remains after the first read from the disc track.

Watch for its release. It'll be a free upgrade for you from 4.005.

Thanks again for your feedback.
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Administrator

We try!

Thanks for noticing. Whenever we find a problem with any product that is a real "nasty", we do everything we can to remove it quickly.