MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: Did You Get Additional Pay For News Years Eve At Your Show?
Yes My Club Took Reservations And Charged A Fee 2 28.57%
No 3 42.86%
Have in the Past But Not This Year 1 14.29%
Didn't Work New Years Eve 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 31st, 2011, 04:39 PM

New Years Eve Pay

Did you recieve addtional pay for New Years Eve at your karaoke show?
Old January 1st, 2012, 03:03 PM
VIP

Re: New Years Eve Pay

Nope. It falls on my regular night.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:19 PM
VIP

Lonny,
I thought every night was your regular night?

I, like Lonny, didn't charge extra for this years show, because it fell on Sat. night, and my regular gig booked me in April...

If I don't book with my regular gig, on their regular night, then I will advertise, and usually charge a little extra...

It depends on the size of the venue, and what the contract calls for... usually a $50 increase... but I have gotten much more prior to the economy taking a dump... now it's trying to stay afloat, and keeping those regular gigs, and specialty dates booked as far ahead as possible!

Next year falls on a Monday, and I will let my 3 venues compete for my services, since I don't have a regular gig on Monday nights at this time!

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:31 PM
VIP

No extra/priemum pay as it was on a regular night.

Our regular time is 6 - 10 sometimes 11 depending on the size of the crowd.

We started at 6 and carried till 1230. So we ended up with 2 1/2 extra hours beyond the norm and because this was the first time for the venue to do this (limited crowd) we didn't charge any more than our standard hourly rate.

Test & Show Computer:
Dell Laptop XPS L701X
Operating System - Windows 7 Pro, 64 Bit, SP1
CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q740 @ 1.73GHz, 1734Mhz, 4 Core(s) (1st Generation with no onboard Graphics)
Ram - 8.00GB
Hard Drive 1 Operating System: OCZ Vertex 4 (256gb)
Hard Drive 2 Music & Videos: Segate 1tb
Virtural Memory - 15.9GB
Video Card - NVidia GeForce GT 445M,,3GB Ram, Dedicated
Video Driver - NVidia 306.97
K-Lite Codec MEGA Pack installed (v9.4)
MS Office 2010 installed
IE 9, Google Chrome
Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:11 PM

Around these parts, we look forward to new years eve, no matter what night it falls on. This is our big payday here. Our club charged $25 a head, $40 a couple, included dinner, favors, and a drink ticket. I started playing dinner music at 5PM, and was still doing karaoke at 2AM. So for 9 hours of work, i got paid double $400. Hoster worked flawlessly non stop for 9 straight hours.

Our crowd was a little down this year however. I have an older crowd it's a VFW club. These folks are just afraid of the new drinking laws. The sheriff and state police had check lanes sat up, and pulled you over randomly. The limit here is .08, however, they said if you blow a .05, they will arrest you and jail you for "Impaired", you're going to jail. 2 or 3 drinks, you're all done. So, it's taking it's toll. It's scaring my crowd away. The older folks told me it's safer to bring in the new year at home....
Old January 4th, 2012, 01:46 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman51 View Post
Around these parts, we look forward to new years eve, no matter what night it falls on. This is our big payday here. Our club charged $25 a head, $40 a couple, included dinner, favors, and a drink ticket. I started playing dinner music at 5PM, and was still doing karaoke at 2AM. So for 9 hours of work, i got paid double $400. Hoster worked flawlessly non stop for 9 straight hours.

Our crowd was a little down this year however. I have an older crowd it's a VFW club. These folks are just afraid of the new drinking laws. The sheriff and state police had check lanes sat up, and pulled you over randomly. The limit here is .08, however, they said if you blow a .05, they will arrest you and jail you for "Impaired", you're going to jail. 2 or 3 drinks, you're all done. So, it's taking it's toll. It's scaring my crowd away. The older folks told me it's safer to bring in the new year at home....
Places we played at (Suzy and I) got paid $400 each. However, there was no cover charge or reservations. Everyone makes more on New Years Eve, so should the DJ's and KJ's and Bands. We played a half hour more than a regular night. We do vfw's too.

Old January 4th, 2012, 02:52 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman51 View Post
If I had started at 5 and ran 9 hours, then yes that would have been an extra charge - 4 extra hours would be equal to an extra night as far as pay goes.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:13 AM

Actually the length of time i'm there has nothing to do with my pay. A couple of years ago we had such a bad snow storm we had about 10 people in our VFW club, stopped karaoke just after midnight, i still got double pay. I do more freebies then anyone else on the planet....lol I visit nursing homes almost weekly, and do sing-a-longs with the old folks. I also help my church out by doing a jail ministry, and supplying the sound system. I supply all music around here for special events, including fourth of july, also fund raisers for our volunteer fire dept, and organize benefits for the families around here that fall on hard times. Such as those who have lost love ones with no life insurance, and families who have lost their homes by being burned out.

Just recently i had a very nice couple, who sing at my show fall on hard times, by both getting laid off. Their son was getting married and they couldn't afford entertainment for the wedding reception. I of course did the wedding free of charge, also my boss and i went in together and paid for the hall rental. The ladies of the club made all the food. God has blessed me, so i try to pass it along by helping others. I think if i had to do karaoke shows for a living, i'd rather be a hobo. Anyways...thats the kind of community i live in.