MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 20th, 2009, 02:42 PM

Bose L1 System

Kicking around the idea of buying a Bose L1 system. Are there any KJ's using this type of sound system? If so I would like to know what you think of it, and was it worth the investment.
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Reid View Post
Kicking around the idea of buying a Bose L1 system. Are there any KJ's using this type of sound system? If so I would like to know what you think of it, and was it worth the investment.
If your club is small, it may work. I tried it out in my current club (2 sticks & one sub module - would've retailed $3400), very bass lacking & not a very full sound. Used it as a monitor on stage (original intent of the system) & it worked great, however it was pretty pricey just for a monitor.
It was no comparision to my regular PA & for that price you can get a REALLY nice PA system.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old March 20th, 2009, 05:29 PM

Bose L1

Quote:
Some of the old guard are very reluctant to acknowledge the Bose L1 system as a great system. I recommend the L2 with double bass module, and the little tone engine mixer does a fantastic job with quality effects. I had the L1, sold it, but bought two L2 w/double bass. I plug my computer via usb, no mini plugs to mess with. Single bass units DO NOT do the job. I have played in venues seating 4-600 using one single L2, double bass, played 1000 seat venue using two L2 systems. Great even sound that fills a room without pushing to get sound to the back. One well known R&R singer joined me one night and couldn't believe what he was hearing.
As i said, old guard does not want to accept it, but, i have used it for two years up and down the east coast without fail. Buy it without fear. Someone said it was pricey, Hell, i have had mixers that cost that much alone. i thought $3,400 was a great deal compared with what my other stuff cost, and only weighs 65lbs in the back seat of a car, replacing a fourteen foot trailer full of gear! Give me a break. Now i did keep my pro system for pro concert work when needed, but i haven't met anyone who uses the Bose system that would change back.
muzicman
Old March 21st, 2009, 05:17 PM
VIP

Question Bose Monitors?

Quote:
Not just for monitors anymore!

I have been using the Bose L1 original with 2 bass modules, a little over 5 yrs now! Not one glitch! ( I replaced one of the cables for the base modules )

I can play a large room, or a house party, and not have any complaints. Most of my regulars report their complaints about other KJ systems, and I just smile. I know by checking out different shows, when I get the chance, that there are better sounding systems, but as Muzicman mentioned, you don't carry that kind of gear around in the back seat, and that was one of the criteria I weighed when I was looking to replace my original speaker/power amp configuration. Did I mention I weighed the advantages? That's exactly why I purchased the Bose unit! It breaks down to 3 pieces that are light enough that your betterhalf can carry it around ( My Roadie / My girlfriend is 59ish), and won't warp your back trying to push it up on a stand!

Sounds great... you can talk in front of the setup, while it's in operation.... It's now more versatile if you purchase the L2 ( Get the full system with effects mixer, and double base module! as per Muzicman's recommendation! ) which is a little lighter, and compact than the original L1. That will be where my next purchase upgrade would be, knowing what the newer model can do! Kick the tires! Go down and check it out at a Guitar Center Store, listen to it, tear it down, and check out the return/free trial offer that Bose allows, play a couple of practice sessions with it, and see if it doesn't blow you away!

Great investment in my opinion!

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
Some of the old guard are very reluctant to acknowledge the Bose L1 system as a great system. I recommend the L2 with double bass module, and the little tone engine mixer does a fantastic job with quality effects. I had the L1, sold it, but bought two L2 w/double bass. I plug my computer via usb, no mini plugs to mess with. Single bass units DO NOT do the job. I have played in venues seating 4-600 using one single L2, double bass, played 1000 seat venue using two L2 systems. Great even sound that fills a room without pushing to get sound to the back. One well known R&R singer joined me one night and couldn't believe what he was hearing.
As i said, old guard does not want to accept it, but, i have used it for two years up and down the east coast without fail. Buy it without fear. Someone said it was pricey, Hell, i have had mixers that cost that much alone. i thought $3,400 was a great deal compared with what my other stuff cost, and only weighs 65lbs in the back seat of a car, replacing a fourteen foot trailer full of gear! Give me a break. Now i did keep my pro system for pro concert work when needed, but i haven't met anyone who uses the Bose system that would change back.
muzicman
One of my competitors has an L1 system, and I have to admit it sound great when adjusted properly. She has the single subwoofer unit. she's also a senior, so the less weight the better...Go for it!
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:42 PM

Bose l1

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
One of my competitors has an L1 system, and I have to admit it sound great when adjusted properly. She has the single subwoofer unit. she's also a senior, so the less weight the better...Go for it!
The single sub just doesn't cut it. The difference between the L1 and the L2 is night and day. I sold the L1 w/2subs and bought the L2 w/subs. The sound adjustment is just like any mixer i have ever used, requires no additional knowledge. Wouldn't trade it for anything up to 600 seat venue, two L2's for up to 1000 seat capacity without losing sound quality that i'll match with anyone. And, i don't call $3400 cheap for a quality sound system. As i have said, i have had mixers that cost more than that alone.
muzicman
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:45 AM
VIP

Again, I tried out the system, it did not fit my club. They want LOUD with BASS THUMPIN sound, the Bose did not fit that bill. We run live band sound levels & they want to FEEL the bass!
I can see it fitting clubs that huge volume is not an issue and pumping bass response.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old March 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Bose L1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Again, I tried out the system, it did not fit my club. They want LOUD with BASS THUMPIN sound, the Bose did not fit that bill. We run live band sound levels & they want to FEEL the bass!
I can see it fitting clubs that huge volume is not an issue and pumping bass response.
You stated you tried the L1 with one sub. That don't cut it. The L2 with 2Subs do cut it and if you want more you can use 4subs. Currently when i play clubs that want the pumping bass, i can make the stage vibrate. I have played with top pro equipment, complete band. I KNOW sound. I have played 1000 seat clubs and have never used over half the volume on this system.
I can appreciate your opinion as to what you have used, but the Bose L2 with 2 or more subs is the real deal. Volume, pumping bass, quality sound, its there or you can bet your last dollar i certainly wouldn't be using it OR talking about it.
muzicman
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:36 PM
VIP

Quote:
You stated you tried the L1 with one sub. That don't cut it. The L2 with 2Subs do cut it and if you want more you can use 4subs. Currently when i play clubs that want the pumping bass, i can make the stage vibrate. I have played with top pro equipment, complete band. I KNOW sound. I have played 1000 seat clubs and have never used over half the volume on this system.
I can appreciate your opinion as to what you have used, but the Bose L2 with 2 or more subs is the real deal. Volume, pumping bass, quality sound, its there or you can bet your last dollar i certainly wouldn't be using it OR talking about it.
muzicman
The point is for me, I can't see spending the money on the system. I know if I need more bass I can add more subs, but for the price that I would need to spend, a really nice PA system can be purchased that I won't need to keep adding more subs to get the sound I want.
For a compact standpoint, they sound ok, I really wasn't impressed personally - again this was based on the L1 system - 2 sticks & 1 sub and was not using the processor as they (music store) did not have it in stock yet, but assured me it wouldn't be needed with the front end I already had on the PA.
Now granted I have not tried or heard the L2 model.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old March 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
The single sub just doesn't cut it. The difference between the L1 and the L2 is night and day. I sold the L1 w/2subs and bought the L2 w/subs. The sound adjustment is just like any mixer i have ever used, requires no additional knowledge. Wouldn't trade it for anything up to 600 seat venue, two L2's for up to 1000 seat capacity without losing sound quality that i'll match with anyone. And, i don't call $3400 cheap for a quality sound system. As i have said, i have had mixers that cost more than that alone.
muzicman
My competitor friend plays mostly small venues (small bars, clubs, where seating cap is less than 75....
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Honor Roll

With a good quality sub, I prefer a couple dozen of these

Old March 26th, 2009, 04:33 PM

Add a couple of these and your sytem will ROCK!

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Honor Roll

If you want it to REALLY rock
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Bored are we guys???
Wouldn't it be great to be able to add one of these to your system too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4113.jpg (17.5 KB, 18 views)
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Honor Roll

I already have these

Old March 26th, 2009, 06:15 PM
VIP

Harry,

These testers are getting bored because Hoster 4.08 is running without any new complaints to troubleshoot! Please consider what idle minds ( good ones at that -- in most cases! Ha!) must do to entertain themselves! LOL

I went over to the Bose forum and plucked out this photo!

This guy has an awesome setup for DJ'ing, and he didn't even have the T1 (mixer / effects) included yet!

This is a little overboard... but if you need pro sound bass, this would have the windows rattling a bit!

Even with the Classic L1 system, with 2 bass modules that I run presently, I can clean out the cobwebs from the rafters!

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7180.JPG (113.1 KB, 26 views)
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKI TIKKI View Post
I went over to the Bose forum and plucked out this photo!

This guy has an awesome setup for DJ'ing
Just think of how unimpressive that would be without the hat!!!
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
I already have these

Do you keep them in a box?

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
Just think of how unimpressive that would be without the hat!!!

Gee Mark, you're right!

Jim

Old March 27th, 2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKI TIKKI View Post
Harry,

These testers are getting bored because Hoster 4.08 is running without any new complaints to troubleshoot! Please consider what idle minds must do to entertain themselves! LOL
Harry,
Rikki is right but all that has changed. We just got the latest Micostudio beta to test. Now we can focus on testing and leave you guys alone.

Quote:
( good ones at that -- in most cases! Ha!)
Rikki,
Thanks for pointing me out!

Jim

Last edited by madjim- with the Lord; March 27th, 2009 at 03:54 AM.