MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Vogone & Vogone Easy Software > Vogone Help

Vogone Help Post Vogone questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old August 25th, 2008, 03:23 PM

What do you folks use to pull CD tracks?

I seem to always have problems getting the vocals completely removed. No doubt its my inexperience with this particular product.

I have read that you need a .wav file recorded at 44.1 khz. What do you folks use to get a CD track over to a .wav file? I have a piece of shareware called mp3converter but wondering if there is something better. For instance if I start with a high-quality wma file and convert that to wav will that do the trick?

Incidentally, I have tried removing vocals from several CD tracks but I never have luck (ie I never have that "perfect" recording with no vocals). So I'd like to know what you folks use. I am generally pulling Pop/Rock 1980-90's with cneter-panned vocals. These typically have a lot of reverb as well. I have gotten to the point where I am left with reverb decay that I just can't get rid of....not enough tweakage left on the slider.

Thanks in advance.
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Best way I know of to get file to wav format is to set WMP to rip the song to that format.
As for reverb that is the biggest problem with trying to get the vocals out. I have never had any luck with it either. About the best you can do when reverb is there is get the vocals down to as low as you can.
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:01 PM

Thanks. So when using WMP to rip do you use "Lossless" mode? And also on the bit rate, if I select lossless, its 1411.2 Kbps. Will that work ok for Vogone? The guide says it must be 44,100Hz but I dont know how to get that if I let WMP rip to wav format.
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Should be able to change the bit rate too. I'll have to see if I can find it.
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

That is the ripping bit rate (how fast it rips) not the bit rate of the music itself. They should be right. Try one and see, bt if I remember the last time I did one that is how I imported the music.
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
That is the ripping bit rate (how fast it rips) not the bit rate of the music itself. They should be right. Try one and see, bt if I remember the last time I did one that is how I imported the music.
So I guess my dumb question is...how do I verify that the bit rate of the wav file is what I need? Does that show up in properties on the summary tab. I am guessing the "Audio Sample Rate".

Last edited by Kuurus; August 26th, 2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Yes and that is what needs to be 44KHz. It really depends on the rate that the music was converted from analog to digital originally. That is the audio sample rate.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:33 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuurus View Post
I seem to always have problems getting the vocals completely removed. No doubt its my inexperience with this particular product.

I have read that you need a .wav file recorded at 44.1 khz. What do you folks use to get a CD track over to a .wav file? I have a piece of shareware called mp3converter but wondering if there is something better. For instance if I start with a high-quality wma file and convert that to wav will that do the trick?

Incidentally, I have tried removing vocals from several CD tracks but I never have luck (ie I never have that "perfect" recording with no vocals). So I'd like to know what you folks use. I am generally pulling Pop/Rock 1980-90's with cneter-panned vocals. These typically have a lot of reverb as well. I have gotten to the point where I am left with reverb decay that I just can't get rid of....not enough tweakage left on the slider.

Thanks in advance.
To the best of my knowledge reverb is nearly impossible to get tid of. The whole idea of reverb is to make it sound like it's in different kinds of rooms, which means hearing reflections off of different walls. To get this illusion the reverb cannot be center panned, It does a lot of bouncing from one side to the other.
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM

years ago when i started to used cdg's a friend of mine who was in japan at that time sent me a cdg player, and this one was able to removed vocals i think it was called "samurai" i think it was made by aiwa..and this one could removed vocals from a regular ( red cd's )...i ended up trading it with a tapco ( which is now a mackie ) mixing board.. when i started to used laptops..
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Billy the discussion is about permanently removing vocals from CD tracks not CDG tracks.
Old October 21st, 2008, 10:08 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
years ago when i started to used cdg's a friend of mine who was in japan at that time sent me a cdg player, and this one was able to removed vocals i think it was called "samurai" i think it was made by aiwa..and this one could removed vocals from a regular ( red cd's )...i ended up trading it with a tapco ( which is now a mackie ) mixing board.. when i started to used laptops..
I have a Panasonic 525 (525 - I think) that does a decent job of removing vocals. Back when I used it at shows there was a time or two I used that feature for singers who wanted to use their personal CD. As I recall it just removed the center panned audio, no other tweaking was available like it would be with Vogone.

Sam
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Billy the discussion is about permanently removing vocals from CD tracks not CDG tracks.

i understand, i was just saying that i had a cdg player that can removed the vocals on a regular cd's ( we call regular cd's " red cd's ) and the friend that sent me that player is a musician and was playing in japan at that time and he use to used one of those to get the vocals out and he plays over the tracks....( sings and plays keyboards/piano & guitar )