MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old November 7th, 2006, 10:49 AM
VIP

Sound card Problem

I have a 5160 Dell that every copule of songs the sound really crackles bad then both speakers have no sound.
If I unplug and reinsert the headphone jack it corrects itself with really clear sound for about two more songs, then the crackling returns.

I have tried different wires, different adaptors to the 1/4" channel inputs, different mixer, etc.

I have used my other backup Dell with the exact same equipment with no problem at all in sound.

Here's the catch, this is really WEIRD:
When I plug the other end of the headphone jack
into the RCA input of the mixer (it is a CD/Tape input),
the sound is strong and clear all night. So it only occurs when I use a 1/4" adaptor into one of the channel inputs.

Remember, I have another Dell that uses this same equipment fine. And I have another identical mixer
that also produces the crackling when the headphones to 1/4" is used with the bad sound card computer.

Can anyone tell me what is happening?
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Bryant,
Check the last post in this thread http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=8043
If you have a Soundblaster card in that laptop they may have an update for the driver to fix the crackling.
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:25 PM
VIP

I se. Thanx. Although I can't seem to remember the name of the card, I am sure it was not soundblaster.
I did check the updates and it was one that referred to some other fix that didn't apply to mine.

What still really gets me is that it works fine when attached to rca inputs but not 1/4" inputs?
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Could be your 1/4 jack on the mixer is dirty or the adapter you are using could be dirty. Get some contact cleaner from Radio Shack, open up the mixer (power off and unplugged), find the jack contacts and spray some on it, then use your adapter to plug in & out of it quickly a few times to work the stuff in. Let it air dry for a few minutes before you test it.
This will work for the 1/8" headphone jack too, if you can get the spray down in the jack or know how to open up the laptop (don't try if you are unsure). Again be sure the power is off and let the spray evaporate before you turn it back on. If you just spray down into the jack, leave power off for a good half hour. You don't want to short out something!

1/4" jacks like this use a mechanical movement to open and close contacts for the connection, where RCA and XLR are straight in contacts with no movement involved. That is why you get a better connection through them. I won't even use jacks for my microphone sets if I have another option like XLR.

Last edited by ddouglass; November 7th, 2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:50 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Could be your 1/4 jack on the mixer is dirty or the adapter you are using could be dirty. .
I see. But what gets me is that I have used another computer on these same jacks, wires, and mixer and get a perfect connection all the time. Also, I have an identical brand new mixer of the same model and the problem exists on that one too.

What's really strange is that it clears up fine when I momentarily pull out and reinsert the jack at the laptop end (1/8" mini). But then after several minutes the problem returns. Added to the fact that it works great all the time with the rca inputs.
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

That would make me suspect the laptop's headphone jack. They are open holes that suck in air because the fan is exhausting air to remove heat. The air contains dust, pollen etc. that can get trapped between the contacts. Pulling it out and re-inserting it semi-cleans the contacts.
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Frequent Member

Check the output settings on your laptop sound card.
i had this proplem with a dell 6000 sound max built in card and i changd the settings to headphones. that fixed it also is your 1/4 plug mono or stereo i use mono. Bob
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:09 PM
VIP