MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old February 24th, 2003, 11:38 AM

Question New/Info- File Types

Hello! I am new to all this ripping/burning etc. with CD's. I enjoy karaoke and while browsing on the subject; I came across this website. It has gotten my interest up in the area of making my own Karaoke CD's for home use only. I read somewhere (a different site), that .cdg files do not have text but that .bin files DO.
My question is: Which type of file is the correct type file for making CDG's that will work in CDG players like the stereo type that ppl use at clubs ?? - Not the kind of karaoke players on the PC's (example: midiKaraoke).

Thanks for any help in advance!
Old February 24th, 2003, 11:52 AM

Kellassy,
This can be correct for both file types you are referring to. The .bin file is the exact same as our .cdg extension. There are some other companies that now use the .cdg for only the graphics or r-w code and not the audio. Our .cdg files that we use are the Audio and Graphics combined together in one file, that you can then write to a new disc and play in any Karaoke Player.

Hope this helps you out. You would need a Plextor CD-R drive to beable to read and write the Karaoke formats to a blank CD-R, to play in the players.
Old February 24th, 2003, 12:17 PM

Plextor question

Thanks for the quick reply...... but now I have another question... (I told ya I was new to all this.. LOL).

Question: Is Plextor a TYPE of CD Writer or Is it a Brand? Basically... what is a Plextor. From what I was reading.. seems like a specific type of writer/burner.

Thanks again!
Old February 25th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Plextor...

Is a manufacturer. We sell these drives after we bring them in, test them, upgrade the flash BIOS, and certify they read and write CDG discs. Some drives are manufactured a year and a half ago and won't work with recent Windows version without being upgraded. When you purchase from MTU we also provide you support if needed.

A bit more info on the file types:

1. MTU developed and was the first to use the .cdg file extenison. As MTUSUPPORT states, our .cdg files contain the exact same file image as is on your CDG Karaoke disc. There are other companies who took our .cdg extension and use it for only the graphics/lyrics r-w codes, but without the audio. These files are intended for illegal distribution of copyrighted material.

2. The .bin file was first defined and used by GoldenHawk with their CDRWIN software. The problem is they use this extension for every file type they import. For example, they use it for:
A. Disc images that are 700MBytes insize , and duplicte the entire disc.
B. Track images that are 30MB-60MB in size that are a single track file.
C. Karaoke CDG song tracks (audio+CDG codes), CDROM data tracks, Audio CD song tracks (audio only)

So, you can see that the MTU .cdg file is exactly what you need for a complete Karaoke CDG song. It is never used BY MTU... for any other file type.