MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old February 18th, 2010, 08:32 PM

Micro Studio Upgrade

I have a new computer on order to arrive about 10 of March. It has Windows 7 with 64 bit. I have release 2.613 on my present computer which is Windows XP. Are there any plans to make Micro Studio compatible with 64 bit? If not what can I do to get my songs off my hard drive to the hard drive of the new computer?

Bill
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by william burditt View Post
I have a new computer on order to arrive about 10 of March. It has Windows 7 with 64 bit. I have release 2.613 on my present computer which is Windows XP. Are there any plans to make Micro Studio compatible with 64 bit?
Yes they are going to have to try to make it 64 bit compatible. When this will be acomplished is the question. The problem is 64 bit operating systems handle the CD/DVD drives differently for the write function from the 32 bit systems. MTU has not been able to figure out how to make it work and Microsoft has been no help with this either. Right now they are working on Hoster trying to get the next release out.
The current version you have (2.613) is not setup for Vista or Windows 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by william burditt View Post
If not what can I do to get my songs off my hard drive to the hard drive of the new computer?
Bill
If you are networked then you can transfer the files via your network. Otherwise you will have to use a flash drive or an external hard drive to copy the files to and transfer them.

If you decide to go ahead and upgrade to the latest version of Microstudio, your existing files will play but you will not be able to write them to a CD (regardless of what version you put on the new computer.) and you may or may not be able to add any new ones from CD.
Also if you upgrade and copy your files over to the new computer the extension of the filenames for the songs will change from CDG to BIN. This is a change from the older versions, but does not effect the file itself, and it plays just fine. The reason for the change was to stop using CDG because it is overused and could be mistaken for a different type of file.
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:27 AM

64 bit machine

Thanks, Doug. That is an interesting reply. I am debating whether to upgrade to 4.22 Microstudio or to buy Hoster lite. I only use my Karaoke for home use. We are planning an eightieth birthday party in August at my house, and I want to use my computer as the player. I have access to an amplifier and speakers. It sounds like I might be better off to go to Hoster Lite for the long term. I just don't want to buy something that won't work for the party. I will be able to network the computers to copy the songs off one computer to the other if that is all that I need to do to use my songs on my present computer.
I really appreciate your help! Appreciate any suggestions.

Bill
Old February 19th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

If you go with Hoster Lite you will have to import those song files before you can use them. Hoster doesn't work quite the same as Microstudio.
As I said you should not have any problems with Microstudio as long as you are not trying to burn the files to CDs. As far as playing the existing songs that should work just fine and if your new computer has a video card that supports dual monitors you can switch the lyrics screen to a secondary monitor or TV (with the right cables) with the upgrade to 4.22.
If you go to Hoster lite which I feel would be much better for what you want it gives you a little better control over running karaoke for your party.
Old February 19th, 2010, 06:06 PM

Upgrade

Dale, thanks for the information. I have about 1200 songs on my hard drive, 1500 counting all the duplicates, and to redo all those would be too much for me. Without a conversion program to do it in a reasonable time frame, I think the best approach would be to stick with the Microstudio upgrade to 4.22. The Hoster Lite would be nice, but I don't want to spend the time to import all those songs just for this party. It would be easier and better, but that would take up just too much time.

Thanks again. You have been a tremendous help!

Bill