MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microeditor Software > Microeditor Help - Versions 5.0-5.5

Microeditor Help - Versions 5.0-5.5 Discussions for Microeditor versions that use Krystal DSP Engine audio card

Old December 5th, 2003, 10:51 PM

Question Upgrading from Win98 to WinXP

A few months ago I wrestled with upgrading an Athlon XP 1600+ system (which has been running Win98SE and MicroEditor 5.4 successfully for a many months). I have 512 Meg of RAM installed. I'm using a Krystal 2400 board purchased many years ago (1997, I think).

I never succeeded, but I think I've found some of the reasons why.

For example, I was trying to run in 32-bit color mode and I see from another post that 16-bit will work better.

What I would LIKE to do, if I can, is upgrade this system to WinXP using an upgrade version of WinXP (Home) since that's what I have.

So, here are at least some of my questions (I'll post more as I think of them):

1. Has anyone ever successfully upgraded a MicroSound workstation of any kind from Win98SE to WinXP Home, using the "uprade OS" method?

2. Do I have to uninstall MicroEditor 5.4 before I do this upgrade? (And if so, is there a .vxd or .dll file I have to delete from the Windows or Windows/System folder? Any other changes that I need to make to system.ini, etc. before I start?

3. Is anyone using Krystal, MicroEditor 5.5 and WinXP (Pro or Home) with an Athlon XP system?

Thanks in advance!
Bob Souer Productions
Charlotte, NC
704-560-2749 (ph.)
413-723-1899 (fx.)
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:59 AM

Bob,
I would not recommend doing any type of upgrade from 98SE. The only thing I recommend is a full clean install. The other problems are that I have not had any type of Motherboard that was working under 98SE to work under XP.

The only motherboards that will work under XP that I know of are the Intel D845GEBV2.

You will also need Microeditor 5.5 for it to work under XP or Windows 2000.
Old December 10th, 2003, 11:49 AM

Bryan,

Thanks for the reply. I purchased an upgrade to 5.5 last year, so I'm all set there.

If I understand you correctly then, the main reason I couldn't get MicroEditor 5.5 to work with my Athlon XP 1600+ system is because MicroEditor doesn't work on Athlon systems? Or any other motherboards aside from that specific Intel model you mentioned? (Even though I was told at the time that I upgraded to 5.5 that it would?)

I really don't want to spend hours installing WinXP clean (which I can do, even with my upgrade copy of the OS) if it's not going to work. I've already invested many hours in a fruitless attempt a few months go.

Thank in advance for your help.

Bob Souer