MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microeditor Software > Microeditor Help - Versions 5.0-5.5

Microeditor Help - Versions 5.0-5.5 Discussions for Microeditor versions that use Krystal DSP Engine audio card

Old June 2nd, 2003, 07:11 PM

medit 5.5 on xp pro

hey,

when i try to install medit on xp pro, it tells me to write a line into my system ini [something likeake sure to add line device=ms???] i tried to to this but still no luck.any clues would help a lot.thanks.frank
Old June 3rd, 2003, 07:30 PM

my mistake,sorry .I was trying to put 5.4 on xp pro.
all is well,works fine.
BEEFS:
the redraw is so slow ......get with the 90s....

how come you cant import wav files?

the effect processing is so slow compared to many other prgs.
frank
Old June 9th, 2003, 01:08 PM

so far

hi guys:
We've got a bit off the beaten track with our threads here, but just like to add a few observations having covered bits of it in variious threads, may give some of you a bit of a lift.
Now using: P4/2gig on Intel D845GBN X86 (Cmos as supplied)
256 megs ram.. Ati Radion VDDR 64 megs
Buss speed is 400 and the ram speed 256
XP PRO

Having soaked this system now since I upgraded a good few months back, working basically 24 hours a day.
a. Initially Krystal went in NO PROBS. Amazing considering the earlier systems and this is a new op system etc. Pleased!
b. Same moans as before - Disk size indicator (remaining) does not update. EVER, but not a problem with whopping great things we have in there these days
c. Redraw is still slowish and still the flickers when you hit record or stop recording, making you think something is wrong, but it is ok.
d. Size of wave files causes a hang sometimes, but hardly a worry and hardly noticeable. Besides if it hangs at the end of 'save as', invariably the .wave file is intact .. all ok.
e. EQ section has a mind of its own. You select a segment, and hit "bypass" it does it once, next time it might not. Seems to get it's pants in a twist. Hit "processed" it will also give you the correct result once maybe, then same, gets itself in a twist. If you process at that time, the results are very unpredictable, with often terrible screaming sound as a segment. UNDO and start again and then it's all ok. It is like the processor doesnt catch up with what you are telling it to do, when you flick between "bypass" and "processed" for listening purposes.
f. Very very rarely, we switch on and 'NO DSP" found. This happend on older systems and a reboot fixes it.
g. Playing segs in a mix/project is fine, but right click on the mouse is not as fast as it used to be. See C. above. maybe they are related. But all is ok.. it is working fine and doesnt really cause a problem.
h. Number of overlapped segments playing without rendering is getting quite stunning, nice one!
i. They system DOES seem to slow down from time to time. I defrag the disk, but think that is NOT the problem, because I have NEVER had an underrun yet. After defrag and reboot, system is sort of back to normal again.
j. We have crashed the odd time when we are using external effects on segments, such as Sound Forge (in our case). This is a very hard to master process. The interface is confusing, I dont think we get the full benefits of what is available, when trying to process a segment with say Sound Forge, while it is in a project. I suspect it would be the same with any other background direct X facility. Again.. really not a problem. Save seg as a wave, process it externally and bring it back in. All sweet.
k. I have NO word clock syncing Krystal to DA30 (no facility to). using an O2R ver 2, All our audio is very 'essy' always has been. Even professional voices coming from distant studios via ISDN, once inside MTU, esses etc are pronounced. I have absolutely NO idea if this is the Tascam DA30 D-A converters or Krystal. slightly misaligned. (we use the DA30 as an D-A converter to the amps) . Would love comments on this. Of course MTU is the PErFECT system for de-essing, if you take the time to just go through the segments and Amp down the fine Ess bits.. Lovely!
Rather than a dedicated device which if not set finely, muddies the whole shibang.
I. On that note.. we are using the NEW Yamaha MSP10M's, and they are simply WONDERFUL. They shoudl up everything and thump!
j. Best of all, we are actually using the on-board sound card with this system. We have a couple of Creative dopey speakers, but they work.. Krystal couldnt care less.. This is a major advance.
I have NO idea if any IRQ's are sharing now.. Nothing seems to bother this beast nowadays.

Bottom line: WE ARE EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH THIS 5.5 Version of Microsound. Stable when abused like we do. Love it! Shame shame shame Dave cant see a way to develop it further, but understood.

In the main studio we are using the Yamaha DM2000, same as the Geezer really. What an incredible beast. Megga complicated, but simply wondeful too. Shame we have to go to Cubase or one the multitude of 24 track hard disk systems to interface to its 96 channels. (I bought it last year, probably one of the first, but only set it up last week.. no money, no time, but now it's singing) ..
Good luck all... Geg
Old June 9th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Frequent Member

The "essy" thing, etc.

....I have personally never experienced the "essy" thing as being connected to 02R V2... except in clock error situations. Essiness always seems to appear with poor clocking.

If you are coming in digitally from Krystal to 02R D1-D3, you obviously have to clock the 02R from Krystal to be able to trust your monitoring unless you have already gone into record from the 02R to Krystal once, and even then it is not trustworthy.

The lack of a word clock input on Krystal is a big shortcoming in the modern digital studio.....On my old system with Microsync, I can seemingly sync Krystal to Video which is derived from my central word clock and work around this problem, but Microsync seems out of the question with a P4, etc.....The only other solution for this monitoring problem (since the Krystal analog output is too noisy for quality monitoring at high bit rates) seems to be an expensive, dedicated D-A converter....and this still requires channel swapping during record. Arf...

....In any case, my 02Rs are gone and I seem to have the DM2000 semi- permanently after having some issues with the 02R96. The DM2000 is powerful enough to keep my brain power tied up for awhile while I learn to use it. It seems to be all the mixer I'm going to need for quite a long time to come. What a monster...

Last edited by geezer; June 9th, 2003 at 05:55 PM.
Old June 9th, 2003, 06:56 PM

very essy

I'll try and keep this short but..... What a gem this board is sometimes! What a gleen Geezer. I have always connected my Krystal to a patch bay and to the DA30 for direct mastering, I just never thought of monitoring through the 2TRKDigital ins of the 02R V2.. A megga wiring session about to take place. Now I can still route the 2 Track D ins on the 02R back to the patch bay, should I still want to master to DAT? (I think)

Rather than question Krystal's clocking: Old boys remember about 10 or more years ago, I raved about procuring the very last ever AKAI digital patch bay from Washington Music. 8 in 8 out. 5 x AES/EBU, 3 optical. (brilliant for its age and a God send), but it has no word clock. To my knowledge, AES/EBU does not derive its clock from the source unlike SPDIF????? It just takes and and chucks out what it gets. Could this be the problem??
For example: The device is supperb.. I can keep on patching through it. Say: ISDN D out link to MTU and Minidisk (for recording), same time, my TC Gold Channel D out to D in of ISDN (my voice going back up the line), then the MTU D out to the DA30 for monitoring. All at the same time. What is recorded on the MTU or Minidisk is identical, but again essy.. .... Now the guys I am using in the states and UK have serious kit and I doubt they are chucking essy stuff out, so it must be me.

I spoke with Studio Spares last week, asking if they new of any updated device.. I could have been speaking a foreign language as they had no idea what I was talking about. I want one with word clock.. nobody seems to make them... anyone know??
Fostex do a 96khz optical one with 2 coax in/outs.. I have that too, but not workable when I am working in AES/EBU all the time.

Last Question: I will of course be looking for a master word clock device to run my DM2000 or use the DM2000 as the master clock whichever; but I wonder how Krystal will take that? Also, I am in a dilemma as to what I use with the DM2000 as a recording device. I am looking at the Mackie HDR24/96 and the Tascam MX2424. But I DO NOT need the A/D - D/A elements do I? I let the DM2000 do all that, so I thought maybe the Alesis 24 track thing. Or, and help me out guys.. 3 x MOTU devices with light pipe out and I get 3 cards for my DM2000, then record into Cubase or something. Failing that.. pro tools. I just dont know which route to take, but I have the bread and waiting to move. I have also ordered the new Yamaha cards, 2 x MY16 AES/EBU.. cuz I like to work AES/EBU. OK some of you might not have the DM2000, but you probably got other similar setups... Comments welcome, direct or otherwise if no one finds this interesting..
Geggyboy
Old June 10th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Frequent Member

The whole word clock thing....

....To begin with, you have to, have to, have to start clocking everything from one central point as much as possible as soon as you start mixing multiple digital sources.....All the old stereo digital devices will clock to their input, but the mixer will need to have all its inputs (digital) clocking to the same clock or will start producing subtle and not-so-subtle garbage in the audio. Digital is great for its stability, but is only stable when everything is clocking together.

I worked without a central wordclock (clocking the mixer to the digital recorders or vice versa) for a long time and worked with it, but really needed the central wordclock when I started getting into bigger track counts. The sound changes when you get the central clock, and may take a day or so to get used to, but is definitely more stable and solid.

I'm using the Rosendahl Nanosyncs, which seems to have the largest number of features for the price(video sync, 2x and 256x outputs, 6 wordclock outputs, 4 video outputs). The Aardvark clocks are considered very good, and, for a simple clock, Lucid makes a very good box for cheap with 4 or 6 outputs.

Clock stability has a significant effect on how any D-A converters you have will sound, too. This, in fact, seems to be the single largest factor in the quality of a D-A converter, which means it is the single largest factor in your ability to hear in the studio.

Do you need the A-D/D-A on the hard disk recorders? It depends on how you work, but I do. The converters on the MX2424 are considered very high quality and are inexpensive per channel. I do a lot of live recording and tend to bang mic pres right into the MX and then mix from the digital outs, so they are great for me and give me a lot of other options for interfacing to analog gear......Converters are generally good enough these days that the quality arguments are more subtle. The converters on the DM2000 are way better than the ones on the 02R, and are definitely eminently usable. Some folks consider them a little "grainy", but, like I said, converter quality is way up these days.
Old June 10th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Frequent Member

....a couple of more points.

I like working AES as well, but it is definitely more expensive. I currently have 3 of the MY16 ADAT cards, one of the 96k SRC AES cards (not so impressed with the SRC so far, by the way) and a couple of other cheapo 8 channel cards....Glad to see that the double-wire AES cards are now available.....I am slowly abandoning TDIF.

The dilemmas I see are: 1) I am planning for working at 96K all-digital soon, and some of the patching and interface issues are still a little confusing (this, by the way, is another reason to have those converters on your hard disk recorders) 2)Have to decide on a new digital electronic patch bay. The 2 contenders seem to be Z-Sys, which has the big rep, and Friend-Chip, which seems to cost less and still seems to have the quality. There are some very inexpensive light pipe options out there now.....I am curious about anyone else's recommendations....You have to make sure that whatever you get can handle 96k in the way that want to (double wire or double speed) without any problems.

How does Krystal like the DM2000? Fine, as far as I can tell. If you have a MicroSync card in play, you can sync to video from the Nanosyncs and it will be relating to the wordclock. Otherwise, you have to run it independently and it will sync to incoming digital.....As I related in the other thread, I have found that a 24bit project (at 44.1, obviously) turned into a CD in MicroCD sounds significantly better than supposedly high quality dithering to a 16 bit project... Krystal will stay as my CD mastering device, it seems.....Krystal will, of course, never do 88.2 or 96k.

I haven't really started to work at the higher sampling rates, but expect to very soon, and see the market going that way for some, but not all, projects. The SACD thing will work with the higher sampling rates, but you are being asked to mix through an analog mixer when you do that these days, and I am guessing that the new Genex dual system PCM/DSD hard disk recorder is going to change that picture anyway, but the DM2000 is high enough quality to make the transition, in my opinion.

The Alesis hard disk recorders are supposed to be just fine, by the way, if a little limited. I have been considering getting a pair for backup and to work with some clients. I don't think they are as flexible in terms of slapping the hard drive into your computer (the MX is great for this), but I don't have the full picture yet. They are supposed to sound good and be very easy to use. Also very cheap and use cheap hard drives (the MXs are SCSI only, but the price has dropped there as well).....The Alesis decks are light pipe. The MXs can have digital cards of any flavor....I don't know that much about the Mackie system.

Last edited by geezer; June 10th, 2003 at 08:44 AM.
Old June 10th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Frequent Member

....the other DAW thing.

....As you know, I also have a Nuendo setup, which I haven't really used with the DM2000 yet, but which is supposed to work well with it.

As far as the digital multitrack thing, I would recommend heavily that you get a dedicated hard disk recorder for recording. It just seems so much simpler and more transparent to me. My brother just spent a month tracking his album into Nuendo and Samplitude, and I think he would have saved himself a lot of grief by using a dedicated hard disk recorder.....I just tracked an album in an analog studio using my MXs and everybody was raving about how the tracks sounded....This studio has RADAR, too, by the way, which is another very popular option. Everyone in Nashville has gone to RADAR.....RADAR, again, does not seem to have the file transfer thing as together as the MX.

Once you've done the tracking, you can slap the drive into the native DAW and work on things if you want, then either mix internally using the DM2000 as a controller, or externally to the DM2000, or pop the drive back into the hd recorder and mix on the DM2000. ....You'll have to see what you like based on your addiction to plug-ins and editing tools. Both the Mackie and MX have decent editing capabilities internally, though the MX requires an external computer, sort of....You do have to be careful about maintaining file formats and bit depth going in and out of these native DAW programs, and they can alter the sound with their intenal math.

There are a lot of options. I made my choices (MX for tracking, Nuendo for some fixes and post work, mixing all music stuff from the MX to the DM2000, CD and radio and some fix and post work with Krystal) based on some heavy personal bias on how I like to work and the need for file and EDL transfer capability. I am sure I will add more to the hardware and software rig later, but I feel like I have all the bases covered at the moment.

The only real advantage to Pro Tools that I can see is that it is hardware-based, so you never have any latency or setup issues like with the native systems. My feeling is that it is not really easier to use than Nuendo, but I have always had a bias against Digidesign, even though they seem to have solved most of their early quality problems. It is certainly MASSIVELY more expensive to get a ProTools system together with the quality of one of the native systems available......The support from Nuendo is not good, but the forum is helpful. The support from Samplitude is supposed to be awesome, and Samplitude apparently sounds better than any other native system, but is not as flexible or intuitive as Nuendo. ...I am not much of a midi guy, so any midi needs will have to be researched on your own.....Cubase is supposed to be better for that than Nuendo, I know....The support/forum for the MX is consistently very good.