MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old September 7th, 2008, 03:44 PM

Angry WHat steams you the most!!!

When dealing with patrons I know we all have to deal alot of idiots and we have to set rules for singers. The one thing that gets me when a new singer comes into our place they are told the rules they are posted in the books and reminded several times a night.
The one thing that kills me is when these new people decide hey these rules aren't for me I am just going to do what I want. Mind you I almost never have to say anything to anybody but Last night I had this girl come up to me (DRUNK).Figure that ha-ha. Well she totally disrespected the other regular singers by grabbing the Mic, bringing her drink around the equipment(MY BIGGEST PET PEEV) and demanding that I let her sing.
For one when a person is this drunk I cut them off and tell them to come back another night. The next thing she says to me was well when so and so is here he would get me up as many times as I want. Well I told her so and so is not here and this is not so and so's show if you prefer to sing with him then I suggest you come when he is here. I run a fair and profesional show and I do a fair rotation so everybody can sing and have fun I don't expect my other singers to have to deal with somebody trying to hog the limelight because they are so drunk they expect to be the center of attention.Have any of you ever had to deal with Drunks like this if so how have you handled it. I finially had to get the Bouncer to come over and tell her to leave and I hate doing it but I had to draw the line somewhere. AND I GUESS This would qualify for a BAD NIGHT. When running a 30-40+ rotation people like this are hard to deal with. One more Question do you think I am wrong to cut off a singer who is to intoxicated and tripping over other patrons, grabbing the mic, and being disrespectful..... any good advice would be great.
XP Home 5.1.2600 SP 3 Build 2600 TOSHIBA Satellite L25 System Type X86-based PC Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel 1496 Mhz TOSHIBA V1.50 SMBIOS Version 2.34 PM 256.00 MB VM 2.00 GB 250GB ex hd ATI
Old September 7th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Honor Roll

The battle for a fair rotation is probably the biggest challenge all of us face. When dealing with people who think they need to sing more often, I try to explain to them that there is 40 other people who would like to sing next also, but I can only have one at a time. I try to be absolutely fair and can't risk my integrity just to let you sing more often. If that doesn't work, I just grab them by the hand and ask them to go with me and explain to the other people who are patiently waiting for their turn how much more important she she is than they are. If she could get everyone on the list to agree that she is in fact more important than them, I will gladly let her sing next. If not, then sit down and shut the hell up and wait for your turn like everyone else. If that doesn't work, I will embarrass them on the microphone and tell a joke at her expense. A good crowd reaction will usually shut them up. If you can't think of a joke, just announce over the mic that "Sandy here thinks she deserves to jump in front of everyone because she was never told no by her Daddy, what do you all think?" You might try to find an ally in the group she came with to help control her. Unfortunately, this is part of the job. Each person needs to develop their own style, and this is part of it. If you are comfortable with the crowd, use that to your advantage. I would try to not use the bouncer for this type of person unless they turn violent. They are just drunk and stupid, treat them like you would any mentally deficient person.
Old September 7th, 2008, 06:50 PM

Wink love this

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
. They are just drunk and stupid, treat them like you would any mentally deficient person.

Love how you put this To be honest I wasn't worried about her getting violent I was worried that one of the other people who were singing would have clocked her up there around my equipment, to be honest I was getting close myself ((LOL)) but I have learned alot of patients with this job. After telling her several times to be seated and to leave the Dj booth is when I had our bouncer gently remove her from the stage area. You have to treat drunk women like babies or they turn ugly fast!!! Don't care much for the Hair pulling myself better safe than sorry.
XP Home 5.1.2600 SP 3 Build 2600 TOSHIBA Satellite L25 System Type X86-based PC Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel 1496 Mhz TOSHIBA V1.50 SMBIOS Version 2.34 PM 256.00 MB VM 2.00 GB 250GB ex hd ATI
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:18 PM

drunks

drunks should be asked to leave by the bar or club and you are right if there drunk and cant talk how are they going to sing a song lol . what i do when someone grabs the mic to sing is i shut the mic off and then tell them its not your turn and if you have a song in i will call you when you are up till then please sit down.
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraokeDj38030 View Post
Don't care much for the Hair pulling myself better safe than sorry.
Have you thought about going with the Sinead O'Connor look?[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23016_lg.jpg (18.3 KB, 15 views)
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:07 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraokeDj38030 View Post
Question do you think I am wrong to cut off a singer who is to intoxicated and tripping over other patrons, grabbing the mic, and being disrespectful..... any good advice would be great.
Answer
Cut 'em right off; turn off their mic; or whatever, act all pissed off and put the fear to God to 'em.

The part about explaining to that drunk lady all the stuff about running a fair show and stuff like that, she never heard a word you said, I can guarantee that.

There just like kids at that stage and you need to say "NO", and when you need to say NO the second time, then ignore them entirely.

Old September 7th, 2008, 10:55 PM
VIP

I have in my rules & a sign posted on the wall
Lonman Productions reserves the right to refuse service to anyone. If you are too drunk & stumbling, no way are you singing again.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:46 PM

sings drunk

yup yup and yup lol.
dont have rules in the book that they never read just like rotation rules they dont read them anyway.But it will be run the way i want it to be ran and if the bar or club owner needs to talk to me and ask why I will tell him.
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:57 PM

Thumbs up ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
Have you thought about going with the Sinead O'Connor look
Don't think I would look right with the O'Connor look.... Ha Ha Ha you guys are awesome and thanks for all suggestions been doing this for ten years I guess it just really bothered me that she Didn't understand Plain english guess next time I will have to try DRUNKIN PIG LATIAN.
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:03 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
yup yup and yup lol.
dont have rules in the book that they never read just like rotation rules they dont read them anyway.But it will be run the way i want it to be ran and if the bar or club owner needs to talk to me and ask why I will tell him.
Exactly, ppl are there to drink and sing, not to read rules about what to do correctly, they dont see themselves at a formal event where they need to follow a set of ethics, therefore, they will attempt anything. And get away with what they can. Don't expect them to read rules in a book, or listen to instructions, and remember anything you said 5 minutes ago. That would ruin their fun, and they would go somewhere else for fun.