MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 31st, 2003, 04:06 PM

That singer is still singing to someelses creation!

Quote:
{i]Originally posted by Gduns[/]A song, is a song, is a song. By copyright laws change a line, or a lyric, it is not the same song.

If you recorded someone singing a song from a chartbuster disk.

the words will not appear. therefore it is not an illegal copy of their product.

since words do not appear, why can you not sell a recording of the singers work. There will be nothing on the disk referencing any brand, of Mfg.

anyone have an answer on this thought.
Now we are really taking the cake, beginning tomorrow morning, I am going to go into the music business.

Let’s see, I’ll start by changing a few words on Beethoven’s 9th and then I’ll call it Addams 1st. They I'll do a few Wagner’s and just for the heck of it and because I like popular music, let’s change a few Sinatra’s, Celine Dions and a few others.

With all the music out there, I doubt I’d ever have to do any thinking to become a musical genius, just change a word here and there, replace a chord now and then and BINGO, here is a brand new song. Could you guys imagine the possibilities? Why bother with buying CDGs? Why not just record the tracks put our words and sell them away?

It cannot be done., legally that is. When someone puts notes of paper whether these notes make sense or not, it’s consider an original work and as such it’s protected by the copyright laws for the life of its author plus 70 years after death.

There are certain exceptions on copyright and its called “fair use,” fair use does not mean we can lift anything we want and use it someplace else. There is a big different if you lift a few pages of the Encyclopedia Britannica or if you lift four lines of a six lines poem.

If you hummm a song on a motion picture or television soundtrack. Not words, no band, just humming a song. You STILL have to pay royalty for that use.

Here is the bottom line: If you want to charge singers to sing at your karaoke show, then do the decent thing and pay the royalty that the original author so rightfully deserve.

Sincerely,

Jon
Old January 3rd, 2004, 06:02 PM

what about DJS AND KJS THAT USE THier COPies
for the other shows keep the org.. at home there is alot of them.
?????
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:05 AM

a kj around here used to offer the service of recording a performance to cd-r. she may still offer it, dunno, haven't asked in a couple of years.

she seemed to have done a bit of research, and the fee was paid for the blank media and the time spent recording the songs to the media (she was very specific that the fee was not in any way associated with the purchase of music). you could get all of your turns burned onto the disc, and i think the amount was $10-15.

Shaun
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Shaun, it still is not legal. The only way you can do it is if they bring their own karaoke CD and sing to that. They then have the purchaser's right to do so. You can not record them from your songs as only you have that right. It would be the same as if you made a copy of your karaoke songs (or any music you own) and gave it to them. That is piracy.
What your local isor was doing is illegal, regardless of how she states it.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:42 AM

I'm not making an opinion statement regarding anything. Just providing a bit of info as to how I've seen things done in the past.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsides View Post
I'm not making an opinion statement regarding anything. Just providing a bit of info as to how I've seen things done in the past.
I didn't think you were. Just don't want anybody reading this to think that is a good idea.