MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old August 27th, 2016, 06:41 PM

How do I delete a complete database?

I'm wanting to delete the complete database, so I can start from scratch. I need to get rid of the external drive and work solely from a file on my computer. Is this possible and how do I go about chaging that without having a bunch of missing files when searching for songs.
I'm running windows 10

Last edited by monikascott; August 27th, 2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old August 28th, 2016, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Re: How do I delete a complete database?

The most reliable way is to partition your internal hard drive which is what I did, I created a partition and gave it a volume letter that matched my external drive E.
Then it was just a matter of copying all the relevant files from the external into the new partition, then when I start Hoster it runs exactly as before, no rebuilding paths or anything plus I can easily sync all the files to my second computer that does still run off an external.
In my case it was a brand new computer with a 1TB drive but it would only allow me to shrink the C/ drive to about 50% leaving the other 50% for my E drive but that was still plenty for my music collection. If you need more room than it will allow you would probably need to use some partitioning software.

You can move all music from your external drive to your C/drive but I'm not sure if The singers database will still work afterwards.

If that's the way you want to go then my first tip is use the Tools/Backup/Restore feature first presuming your version supports that.
Copy all your music files from the external to the C/drive, if they are in a parent folder place them with that parent folder, that way there's more chance your singers database will be able to find them.

Now start Hoster go to the Build database dialog. The bottom section is a list of paths to the music files, you need to remove all these first, you should be able to do that by selecting them all with the CTRL+Left click function then Remove Folder button.
When that list is empty I would rebuild database which will build an empty database so clearing out all traces of the existing. If after that you see a message box stating you have no songs with two options, select Not Now and stay with the rebuild dialog.
Now use the Add Folder or if all your files are in a parent folder use the AddFolder/Subfolders button and brows to the new location of the files. it will rebuild the song database as each folder loads.

If you do have files missing I can only think you must have overlooked a folder or subfolder when adding them to the list.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old August 28th, 2016, 11:07 PM

Thanks for the reply.. sounds to complicated for me to even try. I just keep my external drive. How do I delete the database though, so I can re-scan? I have doubles and triples..all the same song and I don't really want to go through all of them to delete them individually.
Old August 29th, 2016, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Rescanning or Rebuilding the database won't remove duplicates.
I'm afraid you would have to go through them yourself and delete them.

If you want to remove duplicated songs from the printed songbook then there is a tick box in the songbook dialog to "Include only one entry for songs with same Artist name & Title"
Depending which version of Hoster you have.

After looking into the singers database I believe it will still work after moving from external to C/ drive as it appears to work from either Disc id or Book ID not from the file path.

It's not really that difficult or time consuming just to move to the C\ Drive.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.

Last edited by Roy Dennis; August 29th, 2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old August 29th, 2016, 12:49 PM

The duplicates are from me re-scanning. I screwed up when I first installed. So it duplicated all the songs and I have two of them on my drive with two different numbers. I probably have to un-install and re-install Hoster and just start out that way?
Old August 29th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Re installing on it's own won't help you.

Which version of Hoster are you running ?

To clear out the database it's much like I already told you.
Open the Build database dialog and The bottom section is a list of paths to the music files, you need to remove all these first, you should be able to do that by selecting them all with the CTRL+Left click function then Remove Folder button.
When that list is empty I would rebuild database which will build an empty database so clearing out all traces of the existing. If after that you see a message box stating you have no songs with two options, select Not Now and stay with the rebuild dialog.
Now use the Add Folder or if all your files are in a parent folder use the AddFolder/Subfolders button and brows to the location of the folders and select. it will rebuild the song database as each folder loads.
Old August 29th, 2016, 09:10 PM

Thank you, i will try and start working on this tomorrow. I feel computer illiterate when it comes to this, even though I'm really not. I may ask for more help tomorrow..lol.
Old September 1st, 2016, 06:38 PM
VIP

Here is what I did for a friend. He wanted to do away with his external drive and have all of his files on his computer (C drive). I copied all the files from the external drive to the C drive. (For this to work you have to have a working external that is presently setup with Hoster). Make sure when coping the files to the C drive you have them in identical folders as you do on the external drive. For example on my setup I have the karaoke songs in a folder called "Karaoke Songs" on my external drive. If you have yours in a similar way just copy that entire folder to the C drive. After you have done this open the edit page in the tools menu at the top of the main Hoster page. When you open the edit page, at the top you will see "My drive has changed". Hopefully you have a later version of Hoster and this is present. Click on "My Drive Has Changed" and give it a few seconds. A box will open asking you what drive letters you want changed. Example the external drive is E and you want the new drive to be C. Click on this and let it do it's thing. When completed you will have your exact setup you had except everything will be on the C drive. Make sure you backup Hoster under the "help" menu before you do this and ALSO make sure you have enough room on your C drive before you attempt this. The general rule of thumb is you should keep about 25% of your drive clear, give or take. This worked fine for me and it was easy and straight forward.

Toshiba Qosmio Laptop; Windows 10, Intel I7, 32GB Ram, Graphics: 3GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M
With Optimus Technology, Optical Drive: Blue-ray Disc Rewriteable (BD-RE) / DVD SuperMultic Drive, Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 2x2 AC Plus Bluetooth 4.0, LED Backlit Keyboard, 512 GB Samsung Solid State Drive and 4.0 TB and 1.5 TB Hard Drives, 4 USB 3.0 Ports. Breakaway Audio Enhancer

Toshiba Satellite Laptop; Windows 10, Intel I7, 6GB Ram, Intel HD Graphics 3000, 256 GB Solid State Drive, Breakaway Audio Enhancer. 3 TB External WD Caviar Green Hard Drive.