MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old August 13th, 2007, 01:49 AM

MTU Certified Internal Burner

Just got it this week. I was expecting a Plextor but got an Optiarc AD-7170A. Research shows that Optiarc is a joint venture of Sony Nec but it is a weird drive and no other programs recognize it so I can only use it with Microstudio so even though it should burn DVDs I can't because my DVD burning software package won't recognize it. It wasn't until after I printed my bill that I saw the words "for the drive to work, you will need Microstudio or Hoster software from MTU. Too late to cancel at that point so I hoped that must meant for karaoke, not that it wouldn't work with anything else.

So.....if you need a drive for things in addition to MTU products don't get this drive. Find a used plextor or one of the more common name brand drives that will also work with MTU programs. This was an expensive lesson for me cause even if they take it back (which I have requested) I will be out postage both ways and a 20% restock fee for a total of about $41. I would much rather have spent that money on program upgrades.
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

MTU changed from Plextor because they (Plextor) are no longer certifying their drives as being CDG capable. Most of the major producers have switched to NEC drives which is why MTU chose to do so. No where in the text on the website does it say that you will get a Plextor drive.
As I understand it MTU is only certifying that the drives they sell works with MTU programs, meaning the drive reads and writes CDG format. I doubt they test it on any other programs, but I agree they should work with other programs as well though that isn't an MTU responsiblity.
Have you tried checking with NEC to see if there are any firmware updates?
Quote:
"for the drive to work, you will need Microstudio or Hoster software from MTU."
You have taken this partial statement out of context. What they are saying is that they are only certifying it for MTU karaoke software and no other karaoke software. This means they have tested the drive only with their programs. Any DVD burner should be able to perform all of the rest of the functions with Roxio, Nero or any conventional CD/DVD burner software.
Just because you got a bad drive does not mean all the rest will only work with MTU software. Try sending a Support ticket with your problem and see if they will replace it.
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:32 AM

DORANSDOME,

Here's the exact quote from the CDG BURNERS page of the PRODUCTS section of the website. Quite explicit.

"MTU burners are certified to read and write the Karaoke CD+G format when used with Microstudio software or Hoster software (order separately). Other software may not work with MTU burners and should be tested separately."

Don't know what "other software" you are using, but instead of dumping a good burner, you might want to consider upgrading to the MTU products. No doubt at all that Microstudio is definately a superior product over any other CDG burning software out there, and Hoster so far outclasses any other PC related KJ software on the market, there's no comparison.

You wouldn't hurt yourself to re-evaluate your course of action. Your choice, of course.

No, I do not work for MTU.

Erectile dysfunction treatment

Last edited by George; August 13th, 2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:14 PM

MTU Certified External Drive

Upon receipt and inability to get full function I did review the sales comments and I realize I had been out of the loop for awhile and didn't realize before ordering that MTU was not using plextor anymore. That was my bad. I posted just to make others aware that they were unlikely to get the DVD portion to work. As for karaoke I do use only MTU products.

I did look into the idea of updating the firmware but they caution that if the drive is OEM not to use their firmware updates as it could permanently damage the drive. There is a caution to get updates only from the dealer where you bought the drive. The main problem seems to be that this is not really a NEC drive, nor a Sony drive but is a hybrid manufactured by a joint venture company called Optiarc and I have not found this company or the drive id (AD-7170A) on any drive lists for DVD burning software and it does not work with my NTI software.

I also tried to do a support ticket and have a web-mail instead because when I go to the support ticket site and click what support I want the NEXT nothing happens. It does not go to the next screen so I can describe the problem I am having. I hope to get an answer on that problem soon.

Again, I have no problem with this drive on MTU products, just unhappy that it can't serve all my needs as my old deceased Plextor did. Besides music I am big into pictures and DVD burning. I can't go out and purchase all the available DVD burning programs to test it but if anyone already knows of a program that works I would be willing to buy it and use this drive.

Any solutions will be gladly appreciated, and I thank both Dale and George for writing.
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

My feeling on this is you happened to get a bad drive (DVD portion). I have one of the first ones they sold and have not had any problem with any burning. I am using Roxio 7, because I am too cheap to upgrade.
If you sent the Webmail then they should be answering soon.
Old August 13th, 2007, 03:37 PM

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=197284

This forum info indicated thad NERO will burn that drive.

Erectile dysfunction treatment

Last edited by George; August 13th, 2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:19 PM

This drive I know works fine with Roxio Media Creator 7, and I personally use Nero 7 with it. I have also used CloneDVD and Alcohol, for DVD's and never had any problems. Make sure you have the latest updates to the NTI Software, or try one of the above mentioned programs, as they will work with the drive.
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Bryan,
Since there is no direct way for owners to get any firmware updates for this drive (NEC doesn't list the model) is there any way that could be posted on MTU site when one is available?
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doransdome View Post
Just got it this week. I was expecting a Plextor but got an Optiarc AD-7170A. Research shows that Optiarc is a joint venture of Sony Nec but it is a weird drive and no other programs recognize it so I can only use it with Microstudio so even though it should burn DVDs I can't because my DVD burning software package won't recognize it. It wasn't until after I printed my bill that I saw the words "for the drive to work, you will need Microstudio or Hoster software from MTU. Too late to cancel at that point so I hoped that must meant for karaoke, not that it wouldn't work with anything else.

So.....if you need a drive for things in addition to MTU products don't get this drive. Find a used plextor or one of the more common name brand drives that will also work with MTU programs. This was an expensive lesson for me cause even if they take it back (which I have requested) I will be out postage both ways and a 20% restock fee for a total of about $41. I would much rather have spent that money on program upgrades.
Is this the one that MTU has on the front page titled IDE DVD+R Burner, Internal Mount? Just wondering if you bought this from MTU and this is the model of drive they sent to you.

I found the Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7170A for like $35.00 new at Zip Zoom Fly. I don't think it is the same as the one MTU offers, because of the price difference. MTU is sowing a price of $79.95 on their front page.

Old October 18th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasN View Post
Is this the one that MTU has on the front page titled IDE DVD+R Burner, Internal Mount? Just wondering if you bought this from MTU and this is the model of drive they sent to you.

I found the Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7170A for like $35.00 new at Zip Zoom Fly. I don't think it is the same as the one MTU offers, because of the price difference. MTU is sowing a price of $79.95 on their front page.
Just as with the Plextor drives that MTU used to sell these drives are tested and certified to read and write CDG files. That is part of the difference in the price. The rest you can chalk up to low overhead costs (no store to lease) for online sellers. You can buy the cheaper one and take your chances or buy a certified one from MTU and be guaranteed it will work.