MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:16 AM

Well said, Lauraine.

He thinks the regulars are the ones in a rut, but it looks like it's just the opposite. It's him and the "crowd" that are stuck hearing just what they want to hear and have little real appreciation for music in the broad sense. Sounds like they do just what they can't toletate in others, same old, same old, same old, so long as it's the same old they want to hear.

If anyone tried to change what I wanted to sing, I'd hand him the mike and tell him to sing it himself, head for the door and take as many of the regulars with me as I could. They've probably developed a relationship and would band together.

Wonder how the owner of the establishment would like that.

George
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:50 PM

Lauraine

As it happens I am an "old gal", and I can tell you that if a presenter decided to "play karaoke roulette" with me I would be MOST displeased and would probably walk out.

George.
He thinks the regulars are the ones in a rut, but it looks like it's just the opposite. It's him and the "crowd" that are

The "rut" I refer to is when a lot of people start out they will be
into a sorrow thing like a recent breakup and are just getting back to the single life, my old gal is a real sweet lady that got dumped after 32 yrs of marriage. She is now a crowd pleaser, when she first started all she sang was all of the old lost love songs, cheating songs. I started going to the place she went most often and would ask her to do duets with me, and she did. She has a new boyfriend and is singing some of the most modern stuff we have and at 60+ she is a happy camper.

First, thing is I was responding to the starter of the thread, second when in a early show and you have regulars that you know and you do a karaoke ruelette with them most are not offended if you know them, and give them the opportunity to turn it down. The crowd I hang with don't have a problem with the regulars anyway. Some get a little tippy and exceed the fun limit from time to time and want to sing more when the rotation gets larger, Lauraine if you knew me you would like me, George you would too, I was trying to make a suggestion to the presenter with a problem that he wanted to address and was asking for help in this forum. I do hope I have not offended anyone by the suggestions I made. I am the old guy in my crowd anyway at 58 I don't really do a lot of new songs, but I have my moments with the likes of the Big Bopper and Chantilly Lace, which I try get people to remember the oldies as well as the new stuff. My lady is into the new stuff and we get a good mix. I make a lot of mistakes but always try to learn from them. Take care and thanks for the replies. Swany
Old March 6th, 2004, 08:49 AM

Hello All,
Don't know how I missed this thread originally, but thanks to all involved, I've sat at the computer and had a really good belly laugh, I'm even still smirking writing this reply at the things said.
I have been singing karaoke for about 15 years, when I was a kid we had movies with a dancing ball to sing-a-long with such classics as "Two lovely Black Eyes"
I am 68 so a considerably old OLD FART.
Last night I sang a cracking up tempo SGB version of Sinatra's
"Fly Me To the Moon",
"I Love this Bar" Toby Keith's recent Country No1.
Dierk Bentley's amusing "What Was I Thinking"
Matt Monro's beautiful ballad "Portrait of My Love"
and Travis Tritt's version of T-RO-U-B-L-E
We are all used to hearing the same people trotting out the exact same songs, week in, week out.
We are all aware of the "Young Ones" who don't know anything if it wasn't written last week and yes there are old farts who are somehow lost in 1963.
Lauraine and George have it right a good song has a melody and
strong, clever lyrics, the writers of the 20's and 30's were near genuis's when it came to writing rhyming, singable, memorable songs.
But there are still writers out there today, writing good tunes, which is one of the reasons I like country
Regards from across the pond
Garry
Old March 6th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Lauraine Graham- with the Lord Lauraine Graham- with the Lord is offline

Nice reply Garry

Don't get me wrong, people. Whilst I totally agree with Garry, George and others in that there are a LOT of very good songs written before the sixties but don't let us lose sight of the brilliant songs of today. Of course there is a load of cr** out at the moment, but there was an awful lot written much earlier on than today.

I have written lyrics to songs but I never could manage more than a couple of bars of a tune. I bow very low (well as low as my bad knee will allow) to those talented enough to write a good tune. I will listen to anything, and decide whether I like it or not onit's own merits. However, just because I don't like it doesn't make it rubbish, well that's the theory anyway. More power to the composers (lyrical and musical) I say.

best wishes
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:43 AM

Keep it simple stupid. If they don't pay ,they don't play. Believe it or not they will understand. As to setting a mood, try using uptempo bumper music between singers, hopefully dance tunes of which you have karaoke versions. This has worked for me since 1988. Good luck