MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old July 5th, 2014, 03:47 PM

Compact Portable setup?

If you were going to say do a few performance gigs in an old folks home where a big, loud system is overkill (loud not allowed anyhow), what would be a good unit to look at?

I was thinking something that is a compact, all-in-one setup like VocoPro has or similar setup.

Since I've got music on the laptop, it would have to allow for being able to interact with that... and I guess it should have a way to pug in a flat screen for the lyrics and maybe a monitor.

Any suggestions on where to look for something like this?
Old July 5th, 2014, 05:00 PM

Re: Compact Portable setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
If you were going to say do a few performance gigs in an old folks home where a big, loud system is overkill (loud not allowed anyhow), what would be a good unit to look at?

I was thinking something that is a compact, all-in-one setup like VocoPro has or similar setup.

Since I've got music on the laptop, it would have to allow for being able to interact with that... and I guess it should have a way to pug in a flat screen for the lyrics and maybe a monitor.

Any suggestions on where to look for something like this?
I have two Powerwerkz PV 50 (50 watt) powered speakers that I use for a small setup. You can hook your laptop directly to them or use a small mixing board for more flexibility. You can daisy chain them together if you need more sound. They weigh ~12 lbs. each.

You also can hook a microphone directly to them. They have an awesome sound.

They will mount on a standard speaker stand, but you can buy some microphone stand mounts for them (that's what I use). However, I use a tripod microphone stand only as they tend to be a little top heavy!

I purchased them on eBay for $100 each as a pair ($200 total). (I also use them for monitors)
Old July 5th, 2014, 05:41 PM

Well, that sounds OK but I was hoping to find a single box that isn't that heavy that contains the speaker, mixing board and have line out to be able to use a laptop as the music source.

I know VocoPro has some stuff like this but I was wanting to know which unit provides good quality. It wouldn't need to be really powerful cause high volume is not going to be needed like it would be in a bar or nightclub.
Old July 5th, 2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
Well, that sounds OK but I was hoping to find a single box that isn't that heavy that contains the speaker, mixing board and have line out to be able to use a laptop as the music source.

I know VocoPro has some stuff like this but I was wanting to know which unit provides good quality. It wouldn't need to be really powerful cause high volume is not going to be needed like it would be in a bar or nightclub.
I understand...

However, I purchased a VocoPro Jam Cube and was not satisfied with it. It was too heavy and did not give me the sound I wanted.

Good luck!
Old July 5th, 2014, 10:02 PM

I've hear similar things... are there any other like products out there?
Old July 6th, 2014, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

I have no experience with these products but have a look at the Behringer range of ultra portable systems:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Category...ms.aspx?s=L200

The EPA 300 or 150 might suit your needs.

The flat screen connection would normally be straight from your computers HDMI socket or whatever other video output you use.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.