MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:57 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithent View Post
4. Three cables to do the job of one - Logic and Murphy's law go hand-in-hand for this one. How many times do you plug and unplug from a mixer or a USB port or an amp in the course of a month? I would guess an average would be about a dozen or more for each. Now here's logic behind this. What is cheaper to replace or repair a USB port on a computer or a USB patch cable, an XLR or TRS connection on a mixer or a short piece of cable? The point here is that the more you use it the shorter its gonna live. So for the items that must be connected and disconnected for every show I put in permanent cables at each end and use a patch in between. This way if any piece of cable fails I already have backups and I'm only out a few bucks to replace a piece of cable and there is little to no wear on the expensive components.
Nice, can I keep this one?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:25 AM
VIP

I have all discs & players at my shows so if any computer related issues come up I can fall back in a split second while I get my computer rebooted or backup hooked up. Never any down time - even while rebooting. A song may drop, but that's it! And yes it's saved my butt several times even if it was for only a few minutes!

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM

i always bring my back-up laptop to my show, i also have 2 of everything, i never unplugged anything connected to my laptops ( ext. hhd, mouse ), i have a custom built roadcase for my show and back-up laptops, and every usb cables are routed a certain way, all the power cords are plugged in a power conditioner in a certain way too, and my board is also in a case with my wireless mics receiver, the only thing i unplugged from the board are the speaker cables, takes me about 15 min.to unload,i unload all my gears in just 1 trip &15min. to set-up..
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:08 AM

Its nice to see there's so much interest in this. Even with it having only been a couple of days.

AAA has helped me a few times over the years. No stories nearly as good as yours but they've definitely been there for me.

I only carry the baby MP3 player and its cable in with me. Most of the other items stay in the truck. I figure I'd lose roughly 3 minutes of my night to go get the backup karaoke discs or drives and shutdown pull and restart or plug in (depending on situation) and DJ music is playing the whole time (most people dont even realize I've done anything). Only takes about 30 seconds to plug in and start a song and its usually easy to tell when a computer is screwing up.

I think I maybe should have put a cable tester in here too for those of us that repair/make our own cables. Not really something I need to take with me but that 20 bucks saves me tons on buying new cables and banging my head on a desk trying to figure out what's wrong.

Anyone else. Let your shame-filled, embarrassing, children disown you failures help the rest of us. Or at least give us a good laugh.

Monolith Entertainment
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
i always bring my back-up laptop to my show, i also have 2 of everything, i never unplugged anything connected to my laptops ( ext. hhd, mouse ), i have a custom built roadcase for my show and back-up laptops, and every usb cables are routed a certain way, all the power cords are plugged in a power conditioner in a certain way too, and my board is also in a case with my wireless mics receiver, the only thing i unplugged from the board are the speaker cables, takes me about 15 min.to unload,i unload all my gears in just 1 trip &15min. to set-up..

Sounds like a well engineered set-up and I send you my compliments on it.

Monolith Entertainment
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithent View Post
Sounds like a well engineered set-up and I send you my compliments on it.

thank you, im always trying to find ways on how to make things easier, i've been into many karaoke bars here is in my area and most of the kj's out here takes forever to set up and only a few of them starts on time, and some of them have lousy gears , i won't get caught dead with it..but anyway thank you.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:31 PM

i have been advising people at the forum not to upgrade the show and the back-up laptop at the same time,and not to upgrade a day before a show., since a lot of them still do and sometimes they ended up losing or cancelling a show caused of the upgraded hoster didnt work right, i usually wait a week ,and do all my updates first then do the upgrade and i'll do a mock up show ..this way i could get myself familiar to the new version..and thank God i never had a problem running hoster everytime i do an upgrade..
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Frequent Member

I use a small formfactor Hp dc5750 which i mount in my roadcase, with everything built into case.
and i carry a laptop for backup, never had a problem. Bob
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
Nice, can I keep this one?
Of course. This is for anyone to use and I hope it helps.

Monolith Entertainment