MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: Are You A Numberless/Paperless KJ?
I Am A Numberless/Paperless KJ 20 40.82%
I Use Numbers And Paper 29 59.18%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 9th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Red face Numberless/Paperless

I use penn and paper as when i started Karaoke I was using Laser Discs and still using the mpeg conversions with the same disc and track number,when Hoster 4.10 is released and searching and importing video is avalable i may re think this. My book format is First name alphabet by song or singer or band. I find that many people may not remember after a few beers who sung what or what was that song sung by that band, so they tend to ask then ask if you've got, takes up too much time. Alot of people already know the versions they are used to singing so having all the info for them to read makes life easy for me by not searching for the version there used to singing.
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM

I wrote my own hosting program and database. I do use the disk/track number as an index and I do still include them in my books. The only reason is so people can see the version of a song. I have slips available for those that absolutely want to use them but I do not provide pens/pencils. When people come up, they tell me what they want and I add their song while they watch if they want. Some of the people with the slips like to turn in several songs at one time. And that is fine with me. My program not only keeps track of the history of a singer, it also keeps track of songs for a night. So we can que up as many as they like. It's also handy for the drunk that swears they haven't already sung the same song that night.. LOL

I do like the white board idea. But I may go a step further and use a second PC networked to my primary PC instead of a white board. I can write a stripped down version and allow singers to sit right behind me and search/add their own songs which will show up in my list. My program already shows the rotation on the TV monitors between songs and their is always at least one monitor pointing to the crowd.

As it is now, I do a lot of running around finding out who is singing what ahead of the rotation and that part is getting old. If I go to this, I'll pass by singers who have not come to me or added their own song before their turn comes.

I do adjust my rotation some so a straight white board wouldn't work for me. new singers can come in before me or at the end, period. And each singer can only sing once a rotation, period. But the next rotation if two singers are in different places in the rotation but want to sing a duet, I will move the lower singer up to the first singer so the next rotation they sing solo and back to back.
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:42 PM

You know its kinda funny, but I never really thought of myself as an environmentalist. So I guess I'll have to use slips again....LOL
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Wink

No Numbers, No Paper, I use one of my old PCs for remote SignUp. I also have my regulars at one of my bars that's not so busy just come and tell me what they want to sing. Both systems work well in their environments. Although the remote lets me concentrate on making my singers sounds the best they can.
Old August 15th, 2009, 12:32 PM

I have been experimenting with Twitter and text msg

I have been experimenting with Twitter, Facebook and text messaging from the crowd to take requests. I still anounce when they make requests so there is still interactions but I am hoping that it will free me up a bit to keep the mix good and tunes flying.

A really cool feature would be to have the text messages automatically added to a request list so I could scale this up for greater usage. What do you say guys any idea?
Old August 17th, 2009, 06:41 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRinaldi View Post
I have been experimenting with Twitter, Facebook and text messaging from the crowd to take requests. I still anounce when they make requests so there is still interactions but I am hoping that it will free me up a bit to keep the mix good and tunes flying.

A really cool feature would be to have the text messages automatically added to a request list so I could scale this up for greater usage. What do you say guys any idea?
Night clubs out in the midwest and west already have SMS text messaging where the msgs get filtered and enter on the big screen. Kids love it for requests and meeting people too. The program is very very very expensive and you must have a GMS (T-mobile or AT&T) cellular system to operate.

The phone attaches thru to the usb cable in the computer.

Old August 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Night clubs out in the midwest and west already have SMS text messaging where the msgs get filtered and enter on the big screen. Kids love it for requests and meeting people too. The program is very very very expensive and you must have a GMS (T-mobile or AT&T) cellular system to operate.

The phone attaches thru to the usb cable in the computer.
i'm trying to figure out how this works, i have the latest Blackberry 8900 from T-mobile and i have it sync with my pc/laptops at home i could get my email ,text msg.im etc. thru my phone from what i was told by t-mobile tech.you can only use 10mb ,max. out of the memory and your phone will start slowing down receiving msg.( any smart phone starting july you'll need to get the GMS option) but anyway wont that kinda screw up the singers screen if it start showing up on the screen itself, i have my phone hook-up to my pc and i could download a limited amount of tunes..
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:44 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
i'm trying to figure out how this works, i have the latest Blackberry 8900 from T-mobile and i have it sync with my pc/laptops at home i could get my email ,text msg.im etc. thru my phone from what i was told by t-mobile tech.you can only use 10mb ,max. out of the memory and your phone will start slowing down receiving msg.( any smart phone starting july you'll need to get the GMS option) but anyway wont that kinda screw up the singers screen if it start showing up on the screen itself, i have my phone hook-up to my pc and i could download a limited amount of tunes..
During a karaoke show you would have to use another laptop/computer hooked to another large screen, or perhaps even show the SMS text screen when hoster is in between songs. A little tricky though. The systens SMS are originally designed for trade shows where customers text in, meet each other, etc. and the SMS'er gets to collect all the numbers for his advertising purpose. Also included are polls, trivia, number drawings, raffles, etc. Some big night clubs with many screens and a full pledged video DJ probably gets involved in this. My prob is I don't have a T-mobile or ATandT phone with a GMS carrier. Some programs only take certain motorola compatible phones too.

Old August 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM

Not interested, but I would like a touch-screen setup that allows users to input their song, search a database of our karaoke (and separately DJ music on those gigs where I'm not doing karaoke).
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Not interested, but I would like a touch-screen setup that allows users to input their song, search a database of our karaoke (and separately DJ music on those gigs where I'm not doing karaoke).
you can get pcdj to run your dj music if you're not doing a show, i used it,i have hercules mk2 . pcdj and mixmeister dj programs that i used if i'm not doing a karaoke show ..
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
During a karaoke show you would have to use another laptop/computer hooked to another large screen, or perhaps even show the SMS text screen when hoster is in between songs. A little tricky though. The systens SMS are originally designed for trade shows where customers text in, meet each other, etc. and the SMS'er gets to collect all the numbers for his advertising purpose. Also included are polls, trivia, number drawings, raffles, etc. Some big night clubs with many screens and a full pledged video DJ probably gets involved in this. My prob is I don't have a T-mobile or ATandT phone with a GMS carrier. Some programs only take certain motorola compatible phones too.

oh ok, i dont think i'll do it, the fact that i have to have another laptop and to have it hooked-up to another screen would be too much for me.
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
you can get pcdj to run your dj music if you're not doing a show, i used it,i have hercules mk2 . pcdj and mixmeister dj programs that i used if i'm not doing a karaoke show ..

I use OtsAV for DJing. I just want a a separate computer for folks to enter their own songs instead of the dry erase board. People try to cheat alot and I think that having a touchscreen computer just for entering karaoke songs would solve that.
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I use OtsAV for DJing. I just want a a separate computer for folks to enter their own songs instead of the dry erase board. People try to cheat alot and I think that having a touchscreen computer just for entering karaoke songs would solve that.
if my memory serves me right, but someone in the forum is already using that touchscreen method..
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
if my memory serves me right, but someone in the forum is already using that touchscreen method..
Hoping that person posts with some helpful tips ...hint...hint
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Hoping that person posts with some helpful tips ...hint...hint
It is against forum rules to post a link to any software that may be concidered competition.

Do a web search for - "electronic songbook" software - hint...hint.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old August 18th, 2009, 03:35 AM

When did MTU create a searchable request program that is in fear of competition?
Old August 18th, 2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
When did MTU create a searchable request program that is in fear of competition?

"Competive product links or discussions will be deleted. MTU is the sole determiner of what violates this rule. We are a commercial, ethical company who run this Forum to support our customers and provide an exchange of ideas about our products and the Karaoke industry in general. We pay for this Forum to exist, and invest our time to support our customers."

It is a Songbook program, which Hoster provides.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old August 18th, 2009, 03:46 AM

Not looking for a songbook program. Looking for a request program, which MTU DOESN'T supply.
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

It is a very fine line Vinny and posts of that nature have been deleted before mainly because they were trying to push their own creatations on MTU's forums. Your best bet is to search the internet for products of this nature. I know there are at least a couple out there that can use touchscreen or laptop.
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Not looking for a songbook program. Looking for a request program, which MTU DOESN'T supply.
I'm sorry that my suggestion was of no help to you.

Jim

Closed Thread