MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM

Video DJing / And Weddings Info

I am expanding my business into the DJ/Wedding world and have been subcontracting under another DJ for a few weddings as I build up my schedule. I am fairly good on a computer and learn new software fairly quick. I am wanting to know what anyone uses for video projection equipment, what some good projectors are at a decent price (entry). Also, I have noticed that there is some money to be made by putting picture slide shows together with music and wondered if anyone out here had some experience in that field that they would share.
Old October 18th, 2006, 06:06 PM
VIP

Add another 75- 100 bucks to the wedding cost for about 70 supplied pictures. Then make them a cd or dvd with background music and play at the wedding. You'll be a hit, too, and get more gigs right there; as I do.

Video projectos are too expensive goto ebay and get good second hand one or use a backup laptop for the
slide shows, I use both at Karaoke shows. I do 5 shows a week now and charge the most in town. My town is in a depressed area in Central Maine. I still get 175 and thats during the week for a 3-4 hour show.

I started at 100 offering the same thing everyone else does "John , you're next", good job. Much more interaction and excitement now.
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:00 PM

I was planning on looking on ebay, but there are soooooooooo many different projectors. I was wanting to find out the specs that I should be looking for, as far as lumens, etc. Thanks for the reply and ideas. I appreciate it.
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:17 AM
VIP

One thing I'd investigate before commiting to a specific model is the price of replacement lamps. They vary quite a bit in price depending on the projector they are designed for. You'll be much better off paying more for a projector that uses cheap lamps (relatively speaking since none of them are cheap), than the other way around. Also check out whether those lamps are available locally (at a competetive price) or if you'll have to order from the net which can mean a 7 - 10 day wait. Always carry a backup!

Sam
Old October 20th, 2006, 07:49 PM
VIP

I would also check out the VJ forum at DJCHAT.com

Sam
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:32 PM

Put a 34 inch tv into a wheeled cart. Add a camera card reader, take pics during the event have at least 3 camera cards keep on rotating the cards for your video slide show. Sell them a cd with all their pics of the event, plus a custom lable depicting their event. Bride, Groom first dance, their wedding photo ect. It works well and gives you more business.
Old December 14th, 2006, 04:44 PM

You will want a minimum of 2000 lumens for any projector. TigerDirect.com has some graet prices. Pros: With a projector are you can get HUGE screens. I use a 100" which makes for a nice big room effect. Cons: You need about 10 - 15 feet between the projector and the screen to get the proper effect which means you better have the room available and you need to keep people out from the beam.

Another option for a nice presentation for smaller rooms, for about the same amount of money, you can now buy a 48" LCD monitor which can be used for many applications. However, you need a save way to transport it.