MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: Are You A Numberless/Paperless KJ?
I Am A Numberless/Paperless KJ 20 40.82%
I Use Numbers And Paper 29 59.18%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 18th, 2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
It is a very fine line Vinny and posts of that nature have been deleted before mainly because they were trying to push their own creatations on MTU's forums. Your best bet is to search the internet for products of this nature. I know there are at least a couple out there that can use touchscreen or laptop.

I respectfully disagree that any line was crossed or even drawn. I was hoping to get some suggestions for software and hardware others may have used to do something that Hoster does not do and as far a I know, has no immediate plans to do such. So therefore, I'm not asking for competing software. But if people continue PMing with info, then I can get what I want and you can get what you want and then everyone is happy.
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:13 AM

Text message requests

Ok well I was the one who brought the text message request idea up so here is what I am doing.

I post my facebook or my Twitter link to my regulars pre show using the internet. They either become a fan of my facebook site or follow me on twitter. Once this is done they can message me during the show through either service from their blackberry, iPhone or other web enabled handheld device and I receive the messages through my blackberry or through an internet browser window on my laptop. I then announce that I have received a request and who it was from and add it to the Singer Karaoke requests or Digital DJ playlist. They can see their Karaoke request appear on the Hoster upcoming singers list on a second TV or projector screen that is facing the audience. The kids go wild and the older folks wonder what happen and sometimes ask the kids what they just did to get their request in.

This frees me up a bit from having people rush my KJ/DJ area with requests and by announcing that I have received their request I still have interaction with the crowd. I am still getting used to this but I think if I could scale it up past my regulars than it could save me time so I could run an even smoother show.

The feature that I thought would be great for a new Hoster feature is to connect to the incoming text message and automatically add it to the request list. Twitter has a program interface that allows key words to be searched on incoming messages i.e. "Request: Crazy, Patsy Cline" and then add this to a database look up and return and automated message like "Request Received you are the 5th singer in line"

Well there it is I would be interested in what others think.

Thanks,
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRinaldi View Post
Ok well I was the one who brought the text message request idea up so here is what I am doing.

I post my facebook or my Twitter link to my regulars pre show using the internet. They either become a fan of my facebook site or follow me on twitter. Once this is done they can message me during the show through either service from their blackberry, iPhone or other web enabled handheld device and I receive the messages through my blackberry or through an internet browser window on my laptop. I then announce that I have received a request and who it was from and add it to the Singer Karaoke requests or Digital DJ playlist. They can see their Karaoke request appear on the Hoster upcoming singers list on a second TV or projector screen that is facing the audience. The kids go wild and the older folks wonder what happen and sometimes ask the kids what they just did to get their request in.

This frees me up a bit from having people rush my KJ/DJ area with requests and by announcing that I have received their request I still have interaction with the crowd. I am still getting used to this but I think if I could scale it up past my regulars than it could save me time so I could run an even smoother show.

The feature that I thought would be great for a new Hoster feature is to connect to the incoming text message and automatically add it to the request list. Twitter has a program interface that allows key words to be searched on incoming messages i.e. "Request: Crazy, Patsy Cline" and then add this to a database look up and return and automated message like "Request Received you are the 5th singer in line"

Well there it is I would be interested in what others think.

Thanks,
does this mean that you have to have 2 laptops/pc's open, like Bryant said? 1 screen for Hoster and 1 for the singers song request..that would be kinda interesting to see your ( singers ) audience on their c/phone text msging you, and also you have to have unlimitted text msg. on your c/phone plan , if i were your singer i would just rather hand you a song slip request and also they have to have your # in order to send you a msg. right? would you give your # to a stranger? ( one time cust. ) and also you ( in my opinion ) would have a devided time between paying att. to your gears and looking at the singers song request screen. correct me if i'm wrong

Last edited by billyo; August 19th, 2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:47 PM

Singer song list

The singer songlist is a feature in hoster that allows the upcoming singers to be displayed under the Karaoke lyrics. So this is done through one computer. This also means that the lyrics when playing are also displayed to the audience as well as the singer by using two monitors one facing the singer and one facing the audience. I take the output from one monitor and feed the second one.

As far as the text messages go, they are handled through the Twitter or Facebook services from the internet and are accessed from a mobile version of the applications on your blackberry or iPhone. This way you don't give your phone number out, only the Twitter or Facebook links which I keep separate from my personal accounts.

To do this through your blackberry or iPhone does require you to have an unlimited data plan that is different than unlimited text messages.

I appreciate the dialogue feedback please keep it coming.
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM

i do have the 8900 Blackberry and i also have all the unlimited time/nights& weekends/data/text msg. plan..that's someting i have to think about,