MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:17 PM

Re: Songs?

Never counted how many songs i have, no need to....thats crazy i don't really care how many songs i or others have. But i'd estimate around oh..counting my video disc and all..i'd be lucky if i hit 6,000 or so. And that includes all my dupes. If a singer request a current song out on the radio right now, or one thats really popular like "Red Solo Cup", i'll pick it up. Other wise, here's the book, find a song, sing it, or move outta the way for the next singer please. I never see just how many singers i can get up at any given time. All my customers get a chance to sing, most at least twice...it works
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:03 PM

I have slowed down buying disks and begun buying individual songs from places like Karaoke-Version.com They are pretty good quality and only $3 a song. It is rare these days that I can find a $20 disk with more than 2 songs I want.
Old March 25th, 2012, 04:11 PM

I currently have 18,875 songs (from Hoster create song book). Yes, there are many duplicates but my "book" does not have a single duplicate (unless it is by a different artist). My book is a 3" D ring binder and I have my songs listed as Artist and Song. I use Kinko to print my books and I take 8 of them to my shows. I OWN every single song in my show and I have a code that I live by: I will not offer a song to be played unless I own it. Sure this is expensive but then this is a business as well. I report every dime I get to the IRS so I don't have to "look over my shoulder" ever. I too have had people "give" me the original disks and then I consider them mine. There are cut-rate KJ's that have so many "hot" songs who are killing the KJ business. I have a great time doing shows and really enjoy singing. (I have a rule that if there are more than 5 singers in the rotation then I do not sing.) On slow days I have a blast.
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:42 AM

tkelley3...... you sound like my kinda host. Good luck on all your shows. I just know with your wonderful attitude and honesty you will have great success in your endeavors. Be sure to check out all the other wonderful software that MTU offers. You can create custom disc, that no other kj will have. During this political season, i have made several parody cdg's for my friends on both sides of the isle. It's fun, entertaining, and get's the word out, that you are a great host. MTU products are the industry state of the art....period. Best of luck
Old March 26th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Honor Roll

According to kjpro.com online database, there are 413,905 songs in their database, as of March 2012. This includes duplicates, but chances are if its available in a karaoke format, it is listed in their database. They seem to be pretty accurate whenever I need to check to see if a song is available on Karaoke. The free online database is a great tool when I'm shopping for new songs.
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:01 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipeoke View Post
According to kjpro.com online database, there are 413,905 songs in their database, as of March 2012. This includes duplicates, but chances are if its available in a karaoke format, it is listed in their database. They seem to be pretty accurate whenever I need to check to see if a song is available on Karaoke. The free online database is a great tool when I'm shopping for new songs.
That don't even include sites like SBI or Karaoke-Version that are download only (or custom disc).

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:44 PM
VIP

Quote:
Flipe, Can you check to see if you can locate a song by Billy Joe Royal called Burns Like A Rocket. One of my followers said that the guy down the street was able to download it "legally" on site for her. I saw a youtube view of a karaoke show where a couple of guys were singing it and I assume they were reading the words in the singer's monitor. I tried taking out the vocals from my mp3 file of that song and couldn't do that either.

Old March 26th, 2012, 11:49 PM
VIP

Bryant,

I don't have the most up to date database from KJ Pro ( Maybe 6-10 months old ), but my search didn't turn up any matches!

Rick

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old March 27th, 2012, 05:06 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Flipe, Can you check to see if you can locate a song by Billy Joe Royal called Burns Like A Rocket. One of my followers said that the guy down the street was able to download it "legally" on site for her. I saw a youtube view of a karaoke show where a couple of guys were singing it and I assume they were reading the words in the singer's monitor. I tried taking out the vocals from my mp3 file of that song and couldn't do that either.
I've looked in all my sources both karaoke & instrumental tracks and didn't find a match. Is it on RockBand at all, I know some that create their own with those tracks.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old March 27th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have Sunfly hits disc each month, the last one being SF313, the last one showing on their database is 310 at least 3 months out of date.
When I imported the disc into Hoster within one week after it's release it came up using the on line database in the Hoster import screen. Admitted I had to change them to last name first name but still helps.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:06 AM

What in the world would one person do with 100,000 songs at a karaoke show? beyond me. Even if you hurd them through like cattle every night, like some host do. You'd still not have a legitimate reason to actually have that many songs on a hard drive, legal or not. If they actually do have that many, then they, and the slep gestapo deserve each other....
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:50 AM
VIP

100K songs, no clue. Figure the same 500 songs are going to be done within a years time. A successful show could be run on no more than 1000 tracks IMO - provided you knew exactly which ones to list. There is a show in New Orleans that has a 500 song menu only - they only use upbeat songs & change throughtout the year to reflect what is being requested & currently on the radio. They actually state on the menu, if we don't have a song you want, it probably sucks!
SC don't even have more than 12K individual tracks in their own library from everything they've done both discontinued & active, at least of 5 years ago. CB have approx the same amount actively.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old March 30th, 2012, 06:04 AM

I agree 100% on that for sure.....
Old March 30th, 2012, 08:45 AM
VIP

I think one reason to have many songs is to be able to have that one song someone request's. I have about 13000 songs (10000) non-duplicated. I always get request for songs I don't have but usually just a few. I played a strange gig about 2 weeks ago and I had 15 request for songs I didn't have. That was the most I have ever had in one sitting. This gig was way too much work. Nobody wanted to use the songbook, they just wanted to come up when it was their turn and ask for a song and have me produce it. Normally I wouldn't allow this unless it was really slow but in this case I was filling in for the regular KJ and didn't want to go against his routine. Big mistake. I made it clear after the show that if they wanted me back in the future, it would be the book or singers disk but no more on the spot request. I see more and more KJ's that have so many songs (probably illegal) that they won't print books anymore and just encourage the singers to ask for the song and they most likely have it. It really slows down a show when you have many singers. Anyway, I started this thread to see how many songs most KJ's had and it is seems to be an average of 10 to 15 thousand songs. I guess I'm in the ball park.
Thanks to everyone for your input.

Walt
Old April 27th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
But again figure probably 80% of their music will NEVER be used (foreign language and lots and lots of fluff) - maybe 500 songs will get done semi regularly (60 songs done in an avg 4 hour night), and they have MASSIVE duplication factors. In some of the places that i've seen that actually had a book with that size advertised, they had nearly every song dup'd 2-3 times each and a good majority dup'd massively (at least 10), who needs 20 copies of Friends In Low Places or 30 copies of The Rose? The high number is very common on the more popular songs that all manus would produce for their own core.
Lonman asked us to add an automatically created report holding every song played at each show (cumulative until you delete or rename the report).

Hoster 5.06 contains this report, which is found at:
C:\MTU\Hoster\PlaylistTracking.csv

It is in .csv format so you can open it directly in Excel or Access to format and print reports the way you want.

I expect you will find over a year no more than 500 DIFFERENT songs were played.