MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Closed Thread

Old May 19th, 2003, 01:12 AM

Post Need Admin Help ASAP

Well I put off the upgrade to 2.011 fearing problems that I don't have in 1.08. I finally tried tonight & it removed the old version just fine. When it goes to register it tells me "Our records show that your Product ID was already registered with a different Ethernet Device".

I have 3 licenses, as such, I was sent 3 discs with no clear indication of which disc went with each license. I tried installing on 1 laptop from all 3 discs & none of them worked.

The PC I am working on is the laptop I bought from MTU. Hoster was loaded when I bought it, but, I have downloaded & installed every upgrade through this one with no problems.

A prompt reply would be appreciated because I really don't want to have to use my discs & player this week.

Wayne
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:15 PM

Post ???

I left a phone message as well & am still waiting for a reply.

If there is a preferred method for reporting 'dead in the water' problems, please let me know. I thought this was the place to report them.

Wayne
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:49 PM
VIP

wow wayne............sounds like me complaining, right bryan !!
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:51 AM
Administrator

I believe... something is not being done correctly...

Wayne, I understand your frustration. We had a critical problem that appeared yesterday and Bryan was on it all day. I am sorry he was not able to answer your post.

You are one of our few users who currently has multiple copies of Hoster running concurrently on different computers. We will get you running ASAP so your show will happen with Hoster.

Wayne, have you tried to install all 3 CDROMs on all 3 computers and none of them install? Please post back here what you have done. Also, do you see multiple network cards/ports in any of your computers? If so, we can help you identify which card/port you selected initially, or insure you can install 2.011 on each of your computers.

Here is what should work to install Hoster 2.011:

1. The CDROMs we sent you do not indicate in any way what computer each is to load on. We had automated the production of upgrade CDROMs from our web site database. However, we have subsequently stopped adding the Hoster ID .lic file to the CDROM. We now are printing 2 labels with the Hoster ID for that order/customer, and providing these with a CDROM that does not have the Hoster ID .lic file on it. Thus, the disc can be installed on any computer, but the Hoster ID on the labels will only install on the computer they were initially installed on.

The reason we are now providing 2 labels is so you can attach one to the computer it is installed on, and the other in a book that you keep safe. This should prevent this confusion in the future, if done accurately. This is the most successful method used by other software companies who have license codes to install their software. If it doesn't make this process work the first time, then we will make another change to give you the information you need to successfully install Hoster. Once you find which CDROM goes with which computer, please make some identifying marking on the computers and the discs as to which go together.

2. When you install Hoster, a screen appears that allows selecting the Ethernet card your Hoster is locked to. Hoster currently doesn't remind you which one you used before. Therefore, if there are more than one, you must remember which one you must use. It is best to write this down somewhere along with the Hoster ID it works with. Yes, I expect you only have one Network card appearing, so this may not be the answer to your particular problem. However, we have some users who run their Hoster in a bridged network environment with other computers, and they registered it to a network card that can disappear when the computer is not attached to the network. Reregistering in this situation will always fail, and we have corrected their problem when we prove this is the case.

3. The error message you are receiving can also occur if the Hoster ID is not typed in correctly, but this should not occur with the 2.011 CDROMs because your 3 Hoster IDs were written to the 3 CDROMs we made and sent you. However, there is a chance we accidentally wrote the wrong Hoster ID on your discs. We made hundreds of CDROMs in one morning, using very tight QC checks to insure this should not happen, but human error is always a possibility. Email to the Click here to resend your download link address on this page (we can't list it here or Doug Davidson will receive spam forever) with your Hoster IDs and we can compare them to your registration records in our database. If any don't match, we will send you the correct Hoster IDs.

You can read the Hoster ID on each CDROM as it is the filename for the .lic file in the Hoster subdirectory.

You should be able to import all the Download files from one of your CDROMs into your hard drive, delete the .lic file in the Hoster folder, then install from this hard drive version, which will require you to enter your Hoster ID in the screen that appears.

Like all new products, there are some things we need to iron out and make easier. We apologize that it is a little bumpy now. We hope to smooth things out before the release of Hoster 2.1.

Bryan (MTUSUPPORT) is the best person to diagnose and solve your problem. I will ask him to call you later this morning because of your urgency, and to pick the best time for him as he is still on this problem. Our free support policy does not include our returning phone calls, but we will in this case as it is for our convience, and we want to get you back up and running ASAP.

For the record: The best way to let us know you are dead in the water is to reach Jennifer, our telephone Operator at MTU, and tell her "I have a show to run with Hoster and I am dead in the water. I need immediate help." Jen can then try to put the right person on the phone right then to solve your immediate problem. Normally, we cannot provide immediate support for free. However,when someone with Hoster is down with a show to run, we will make an exception.

Beavis, you know very well the superior support you have received from Bryan and others at MTU. Does your post here indicate this?
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:38 AM
VIP

i was just joking !!!
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:08 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for the response

I am at my day job right now. I will be home between 12:30 & 1:00 Central Time for lunch. This would be a good time to call, if possible.

I have only tried to install on my original MTU laptop. I'm sure you can understand my reluctance to remove the working version from the other 2 laptops.

I only have 1 ethernet port on this computer. I tried all 3 discs on this computer & none of them worked. When I get home, I will browse the discs & see whether the license id's match up to what I have written down & used for updates. I will email Brian with my assigned IDs & also those on the disks if different.

I'm not sure I fully understand the re-assigning license files part of your message.

Wayne
Old May 21st, 2003, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Re: Thanks for the response

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne White
I'm not sure I fully understand the re-assigning license files part of your message.

Wayne
Let's just say it is fully within our power to allow you to install Hoster again. We can get you running.

Bryan tried to call earlier. He reviewed your registration database and only found one of your Hoster IDs is registered. Have you ever installed Hoster on the other two systems?
Old May 21st, 2003, 01:47 PM

Wayne,
I did try to call you back this morning, and left a message on your asnwering Machine at home. Please try it when you get home for Lunch, and it should work no matter what.

Please let me know what happens. I will be running to lunch in a little while.
Old May 21st, 2003, 01:55 PM

Talking First System is Up & Running

After listening to Brian's voice mail message, I re-tried to install & all went well on the original MTU laptop. It is installed & appears to work fine.

Since I have 2 jobs tonight, I don't want to mess with the other 2 on my lunch break. I will try them Sunday AM & let you know whether there are any problems.

And yes, I have registered all 3 laptops. I can send you the MTU ID's through email if you need them, just let me know.

Wayne
Closed Thread