MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old June 15th, 2010, 07:25 PM

mp3+g Disc

Does anyone know what the configuration of MP3+g Discs is? I guess it isn't a disc with just .mp3 and .cdg files. Does one have to have a special machine to play them?
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Re: mp3+g Disc

What makes you ask this? Have you seen one?
I would guess it is a disk with MP3 and CDg files. ANd if I remember right a lot of players say they will play them.
As far as converting them (since you asked in Songverter forum) you would have to copy the files to hard disk and then convert if that is what you want to do.
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Many DVD players play CDG disks, but not well. Apparently there are slight differences in the manufacturer's formats that cause skipping or noise issues. Some are not even recognized. I have personal experience with 5 different CDG-capable DVD players. The one that works the best is the cheapest ($34) but no longer on the market.
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:04 PM

Perhaps I dipped into the wrong forum, but I wanted to pick the brains of the MTU crowd. I am a long time user of MTU products

I'm asking because a company "Tropical Zone" is selling different combinations of their songs, via SCDG, or NEOG, or MP3G discs The discs that they sell with a player for Father's Day is only MP3G Discs. I felt at first that I could buy the discs and use the songs on my computer. They assured me however, when I asked them that that was impossible. The computer would not even recognize the songs as files.

I do have software that will rip the songs from either SCDG or NEOG discs. I haven't tried it but they, (Competitor rxbx), say also"WINDVD" discs which they say is a format of MP3G. I'm trying to get an education here before I get discs I can only use in the player that I buy.

Thanks for your responses so far
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

OK. That explains it a bit better. I will move this thread to Singers and Hosts Wisdom section. That is where this belongs.
As far as I know those should be Mp3+G or in other words MP3 + CDG files. WinDVD is not a format, but is a DVD/Blueray player for the computer. So if these are on a DVD or BlueRay disc as it sounds like they are then you will need a DVD/BlueRay disc drive to read them or a player with the same kind of drive. Either they don't know what they are talking about or they have an encryption on the discs. Sounds like a push to get you to buy their player.
If you have a DVD drive on your computer (or BlueRay if that is the disc format these are in), copy the files to your hard drive and import them into Hoster or any computer based program you have that uses MP3+G.
Old June 19th, 2010, 05:07 PM

Re: MadJim

This may not be the right place for this, but actually, anything about Madjim can post anywhere.
I would just like to tip my hat to the MTU Folks for leaving a post by Madjim.
For those of you who don't know of Madjim, he was a pioneer user of MTU products and combined with Dale Douglas, helped solve many problems and if he or Dale couldn't solve it, which is seldom, they would tell you where to look for answers.
I got to know Madjim, what a gentleman, fine musician who knew how to work a crowd. Sadly, we lost Jim to cancer a while back
When i see this post by madjim, it brings back fond memories. I believe this shows the caring of the MTU staff for all its customers.
Some problems exist in some programs, but i trust MTU to correct those. MTU products remain the Cadillac in this venue of music production and re-production.
Thanks, MTU, and just keep that post where it is!!!!!
muzicman144