MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old July 28th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Hoster 4.x and Computer Speed

First let me say thank you for all the Super enhancements to the new Hoster 4.x.

I have read the forum about the Vista issues and I am glad I did, as I was about to scrap my old faithful Sony VAIO laptop having read that Hoster 4.x needs at least .8ghz of processor speed. My VAIO is only .4

When I installed the new release, if was very slow in cueing. I then read the info and found the recommended processor speed info. Problem is, there is no processor upgrade for my laptop and I cannot buy a new laptop without Vista, which I have been avoiding since it first came out, for my home use and for my non-karaoke business use.

The catch 22 is that my karaoke laptop is too slow and I cannot get a new one.

So, my question: I have removed all virus scan and unnecessary programs that I am aware of and it did help. Norton was taking way too much space and memory. What else can I do to make my old Sony quicker?

Thanks..and I hope Vista gets sorted out soon so I can upgrade my laptop.

Dave - Center Stage Karaoke
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:58 AM

Have you done a disc clean up (temp internet files recycle bin, cookies, etc) and done a defrag?

If you delete cookies, you will probably have to enter your MTU password to access the forums, but I do it monthly...no big deal.

Should help some if you haven't cleaned the pc up in awhile.

Erectile dysfunction treatment
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM

Hoster 4.x and Computer Speed - More

I no longer us that machine for internet access. Its exclusively for running my shows. I do have Microsoft office etc on there but that is about it. I would like to get that machine so that its running only processes that MTU needs.

Any comments?
Dave Center State Karaoke.
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:37 PM

Simply uninstalling Norton doesn't get rid of bunches of their files. It's so bad thet some are making money selling software for Norton removal. I'm not advocating going that route, just for your info.

Completely removing Norton is a chore I wouldn't begin to take on, as it involves going into the registry, but would turn over to a trusted tech.

Having once been on the internet, have you done the cleaning up and degragging I suggested since closing down those programs and getting off the internet?

Only reason I ask is you didn't mention having done so in your response.

Erectile dysfunction treatment
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:48 PM

Hoster 4.x and Computer Speed - More

Yes, I routinely clean out cache etc. on all my machines. What I really want to do is limit the number of processes running on the machine while I am doing a show.

When you do a control alt delete, you get the manage window. I only am running Hoster, but I have a lot of processes running and I don't know which ones are needed. I just want the minimums so Hoster will run and maybe windows media player.

Thanks for helping
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarti29 View Post
Yes, I routinely clean out cache etc. on all my machines. What I really want to do is limit the number of processes running on the machine while I am doing a show.

When you do a control alt delete, you get the manage window. I only am running Hoster, but I have a lot of processes running and I don't know which ones are needed. I just want the minimums so Hoster will run and maybe windows media player.

Thanks for helping
Very handy site with the info you need
http://www.blackviper.com/
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Want XP on a Laptop. Try DEll. Look in the Office/Small & Medium Business area. You can still get Desktop and Laptop models with XP instead of Vista. According to Microsoft this will end sometime early in 2009 (February I think). I believe HP is also doing the same thing for businesses. And you are a business.
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:52 AM

Open hoster, go to your task manager, and set your Hosters priority on high.

Get rid of as much garbage as possible. Upgrade your PC as fast as you can.

Do a search for anything taking up space, .jpg, .ini, .gif, ect. Never been able to figure out why a person needs a sound when your recycle bin empties. Figure a low battery alarm should be a noise you want. The rest can go. Check and see how many media players you have, or photo studios. I do wish someone had a list of what a person needs just to run, Hoster and WMP nothing else needed. Does a PC actually need a calculator and Paint?

Don't need sample, pics, videos, music, I don't need examples to share. I go axe murderer on my laptops when I first get them to gain space. I don't really know what all I can delete wish I did.
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

I don't want to burst anyones bubble or doubt that what you guys are saying might help a small amount. However with a 400MHz (.4GHz) this laptop is not going to work fast enough to process the data for the music, lyrics and Hoster program to produce the sound at the correct speed.
On top of the slow processor speed I am sure that his memory amount does not come close to the 1GB recommended, his video will not have enough dedicated memory and neither will his sound card.
Old July 29th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
I don't want to burst anyones bubble or doubt that what you guys are saying might help a small amount. However with a 400MHz (.4GHz) this laptop is not going to work fast enough to process the data for the music, lyrics and Hoster program to produce the sound at the correct speed.
On top of the slow processor speed I am sure that his memory amount does not come close to the 1GB recommended, his video will not have enough dedicated memory and neither will his sound card.
I think he may have mis-spoke the processor speed. For the last 5 years the Vaio has had a 400mhz front side bus, and the ram is DDR2 @ 400mhz. Unless he has an old Vaio PCG, but those are 10 years old by now.