MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Vogone & Vogone Easy Software > Vogone Help

Vogone Help Post Vogone questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old November 22nd, 2006, 03:50 AM

List of .wav file types supported ?

I am considering purchasing Vogone, but I'm concerned that it won't support the wide array of .wav file types that I work with ... Can you tell me if Vogone supports the following .wav formats? :

32-bit float with/without wave_format_extensible flag
24-bit packed (with 32-bit header), with/without wave_format_extensible flag

And, what about other sample rates?
(48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz and 192kHz)

I use a combination of 16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit, 44.1/48/88.2/96kHz files and I need to know that it supports all of them before I take the plunge! --
Old November 22nd, 2006, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKnowsDTS View Post
I am considering purchasing Vogone, but I'm concerned that it won't support the wide array of .wav file types that I work with ... Can you tell me if Vogone supports the following .wav formats? :

32-bit float with/without wave_format_extensible flag
24-bit packed (with 32-bit header), with/without wave_format_extensible flag

And, what about other sample rates?
(48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz and 192kHz)

I use a combination of 16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit, 44.1/48/88.2/96kHz files and I need to know that it supports all of them before I take the plunge! --
Thank you for considering MTU as your vendor. We are the first company in the world to develop and ship a Digital Audio Workstation, in 1979, so I'm familiar with studio needs.

Our programmer who would know the exact answers is on vacation, but I'll see if he can visit here today and post what Vogone could support from your list.

As you can imagine for the "Karaoke market", Vogone currently supports 16-bit 44.1K Samples/second standard .wav files with the RIFF header. I've never heard of "wave_format_extensible flag" before. Please elaborate on this a bit more so our programmer (who may not currently be familiar with it) would be able to see your answer and clearly understand. Our next round of upgrades will support many more standard audio formats, and we may be able to modify to handle this header variant.

Vogone was not designed to handle the extended bit rates, but if we are using floats or double precision, it may handle 24/32 data in the inner math. My guess is we don't currently have 24/32 to/from 16-bit conversion code.

As for sampling rates, I'd be surprised if it currently handles other than 44.1KS/s.

Do you not have a program or programs that can convert these different formats?

We are upgrading Vogone right now. We may be able to modify the code to support some of your requests. If so, which would you select?
Old November 22nd, 2006, 04:07 PM

Thanks for your quick reply!

WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE is actually a Microsoft file type, unveiled back in the days of Win98, but commonplace on Win2000/XP ... It's a container for multichannel audio files, but the flag/header can be applied to 2-channel stereo .wav files as well ...

For info/links on "waveformatex" (same thing) and another type I use (b-format), see here:
http://people.bath.ac.uk/masrwd/wave_ex.html

I work with stereo AND multichannel audio, and I regularly deal with higher resolution sources (stereo and multichannel) that were recorded at 24/32-bits and 48/88.2/96kHz sample rates ... I would not want to reduce the sample rate of the original audio before attempting further processing (such as with Vogone) because I would be losing valuable data in the process! So, I'm more interested about the ability of Vogone to support higher sample rates than I am concerned about the 'waveformatex' file type.