MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old November 9th, 2002, 02:08 PM

Lightbulb So You Want TO Be A Star

I was reading the post (back in October) all of you had about putting song at the web site for others to hear, and yes the copy write laws do present a problem here.

But we are all over looking one very important item here. Why not make this site a new artist friendly site where it gives the information and help to copy-write their own songs and music, then once this is done they can feel comfortable enough to start posting their own music, and let their talents build their own fan clubs.

For those of you that have the ability to turn these songs into Karaoke disc, could work things out with the artist to help them distribute their music in Karaoke arena. If they become popular enough, it will be hard for the Music Industry to overlook them.

Dave
Old November 9th, 2002, 03:59 PM

That would be cool, but the person posting the song would need to be the song writer, (music, and lyrics) to be the holder of the copyright that they could sing. Don't know many karaoke singers that have that ability.

Jim
Old November 9th, 2002, 04:40 PM

Jim

The Average Karaoke Singer probably Not, but if they are good enough to become nationaly know artist they probably have some one who does it for them. Plus the fact if word got out to the people that do have this talent watch these boards light up.

Dave
Old November 9th, 2002, 09:52 PM

My only question is how is Dave Cox supposed to monitor who has copywrites to the material they post and who doesn't, to protect the integrity of his forum? When you guys get that all doped out without having to place a load on him, you might have something. I don't see him running the risk, but that's just an opinion.

George
Old November 9th, 2002, 10:09 PM

Gentlemen

As always there are things to get around orginal music is easy enough to track if you have your copywrite you can post it with your song, for two reasons the one we have mentioned of course, the second to keep people from wanting to steal some really good material.

If you have a great song, what better proof its yours than putting it on a public forum. If "Who Let the Dogs Out" pops up of course it will run up the red flags and be removed imediately, on the other hand if my song, My Roads shows up posted with my copy write, its my song and music and I am entitled to do anything I want to with that song.

Now since its getting so hard for young artist to get noticed, (and I don't mean age) its time we die hards that love music get a little brave and test the waters, to find new ways to help them get noticed and I for one would welcome any fresh new music.

Dave
Old November 9th, 2002, 10:17 PM

True, but shouldn't Mr. Cox be consulted first to determine if he's receptive to the idea, before stirring up the waters? After all this is his site.
Old November 10th, 2002, 02:41 AM

By merely posting you are doing just that

It has been my experience that if anything ever gets posted here is checked daily the people at MTU monitor, these sights very closely, and if anything is moving in the wrong direction they kindly and politely steer you away from things they care not to participate in. And as long as it builds stronger customer loyality. And more visits to their site, I can't see why he wouldn't want to participate, and helping people get that opportunit that they might not get the chance to every have their stuff Played in a public environment.

Dave
Old November 11th, 2002, 08:18 AM

I still stand by my first post, there are very few karaoke singers with the ability to write their on material. I can't see this forum being the location for those few to be discovered, and be tomorrows stars.

Jim
Old November 11th, 2002, 10:09 AM

da!
Old November 11th, 2002, 10:34 AM

Steve
Would you like to further expand on that??

The format of this forum as I see it is mostly for KJ's backing up, or computer playing CD+G's. As for the average joe karaoke singer, I doubt that very many even know that this forum is here or the software this forum is in support of is even on the market.

Jim

Last edited by jim in ohio; November 11th, 2002 at 12:32 PM.
Old November 11th, 2002, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jim in ohio
[b]Steve
Would you like to further expand on that??
Yeah, what you said! We are here to buy Hoster and learn how to be lowly KJ's. Not here to be song writers and International Rock Stars.

Steve
Old November 11th, 2002, 01:15 PM

da!!
Old November 11th, 2002, 02:01 PM

da!!
Old November 11th, 2002, 04:13 PM

Old November 11th, 2002, 04:59 PM

Gentlemen

Be what it may, every Karaoke singer I know would love to be the person that people love to listen to, that?s what makes Karaoke so popular, or they just love to sing.

The reason I mentioned this, is for the following reason, some time back if you wanted to become the next latest and greatest you made your self a demo then had hundreds of copies of it made then you hit the road getting every radio station that would listen to you to play your record, until you were popular enough that the recording studios would take an interest in you.

Then the talent agency or reps got involved and they started locking up every radio station in the country, so they could regulate who got heard. If you were lucky you might get a chance to play your demo to a studio but for the most part they wouldn't even talk to you if you didn't have an agent. And a good one at that.

So along comes Karaoke now this gives those who are great but can't make it in the world of who makes and who doesn't (mainly because they didn't have enough money to make, not because they don't have the talent.) A chance to be the star they had always hoped to be, they sing other peoples music, because that is what is available. Would they sing their own stuff, you bet if they had the opportunity.

Now the bottom line is how does this effect MTU and companies like them and their products, In MTU?s case, they build everything to accommodate this type of singer, Karaoke Home Pro for making their own Karaoke Disk, they build Hoster a system to play their Disk, and the ability to access a great deal of forums, so they can get ideas from other singers and musicians, ideas of great and fun things to do, and access to a company that sells all of the supporting products.

This forum is titled Singers & Host this just pertains to the singing side is all. Just food for thought.

David
Old November 11th, 2002, 07:44 PM

infoby,

Now I know why I never had a Gold Record after reading your post! The bottom line is: I'm waitin for MTU to open all the doors.

Steve
Old November 11th, 2002, 09:26 PM

Couldn't disagree more that Karaoke is full of wannabe professional stars. If it is then it has lost it's purpose which is to give the average person like George who in some other's opinions may or may not be able to sing at a professional level the opportunity for three minutes to be a star. And that's what it's supposed to be about, not a stepping stone to the big enchilada, nor do I see anything in MTU that's geared towards anything other than providing tools for the Karaoke hobbyist to play with.

No one tells a singer what material they have to use, and if the clubs were full of aspiring stars you'd hear more original material being sung. If they don't have guts enough to do that, then nothing in this world will make them a star, 'cause they couldn't cut it anyhow.

George

Last edited by George; November 11th, 2002 at 10:24 PM.
Old November 11th, 2002, 10:17 PM
Lauraine Graham- with the Lord Lauraine Graham- with the Lord is offline

I have to say that I am disappointed with the abruptness of the dismissals that David's idea is receiving. Whether it has merit or not is up for discussion, which I believe is the purpose of this Forum. I was lead to believe that this Forum was for the free exchange of ideas and experience. If you think an idea is unworkable it is, of course, your prerogative to say so, but chaps, can you not be a little more constructive? Most of your remarks are at best unhelpful and quite frankly border on the rude. I thought better of you.
Old November 11th, 2002, 10:55 PM

Hi Lauraine,

It's nice to hear your voice again. We are being a little silly tonight with our big grins. Karaoke IS for everyone and I hear all kinds of singers from one extreme to the other. The "ouch singer" to the "international rock star" but mostly rank amateurs.

If someone here has aspirations to starting a singing career you need to learn from professional musicians. First, you may want to have some professional voice lessons. Second, you need to learn how to sing and work with live musicians instead of watching lyrics and a bouncing ball. There are many many many forums to go to that focus on these two issues. In addition, there are forums to learn recording and how to apply your instruments and vocals to recording. Forums for recording is where you will find professional musicians and studio owners (small and large) where you can post your mp3 for sharing your original material and copyrighted songs.

Professional musicians are simply not interested in karaoke. In the past, we used to go out to watch live bands before karaoke came to town. Now, karaoke is often used for local entertainment to keep the costs down and to let ameteur singers in on the action just for fun!

Steve

Last edited by SteveWalker; November 12th, 2002 at 06:46 PM.
Old November 11th, 2002, 10:56 PM

Lauraine, for the most part I could care less either way whether this idea flies or not. I do believe though that rude got introduced into this thread when the suggestion that Dave Cox be given the courtesy of being asked if he would consider this type of activity and its associated threat to his well being taking place on his website was brushed aside without any consideration. I don't mean rude to me, but to Dave Cox.

The threat of illegal file swapping is a real issue in this proposal, and was brushed off very adroitly. It would be a nightmare to monitor regardless of how simple it may be made to appear. It was suggested that copywrites could be posted with the material submitted. I have several copywrited pieces of material of my own, and can download Shortform P.A. from the U.S.Copywrite website. I do whenever I need one for submission. I own a p.c and a copy machine. In a half hour I could make you a Copywrite Certificate Of Registration that would look very authentic, indeed,especially after having been scanned as an attatchment.

Anyone professes to be so observant of Dave's Cox's practices on these forums as the originator of this thread claims to be, should have no difficulty noticing that due to heave constraints with Hoster, Dave Cox has not been his usual active self in monitoring the activity on the forums, and well understandably so.
That's why I suggested Mr. Cox be consulted, and as simple as that would be to do through a private message, why is it being avoided ?

Considering all these points,so now you tell me who's from rude?

George