MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old February 21st, 2010, 04:25 PM

ive had the mackie profx12 and have been using the usb partog it for over a year nos, and it is the best mixer I have ever used it soesnt even vompare to the sound board output into the 1st channel/ it is much clearer. I just wish they had put it on a slider instead of a knob.

MACHINE NAME: [Monster]
Windows XP 64 & 32 Professional Dual boot
Processor - AMD xp64 x2 4400
RAM - 2.0g PC3200 ddr2 800ghz
Motherboard msi platinum (latest BIOS and DRIVERS)
Sound Card - sound blaster comp.(On-board sound device)
Video - MSI 6800 128MG
HD Primary - 7 VAROIUS HARD DRIVES ON THIS MACHINE
CD-R - Plextor (PX-W708A 1.04) CD-R - TEAC
DVD/CD-R - NEC (optiplex )
DirectX Version - 9.0c (4.09.0000.0901)
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Even though this thread is old, I am going to move it to Singers and Hosts Wisdom. It really doesn't even belong here.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:50 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gduns View Post
ive had the mackie profx12 and have been using the usb partog it for over a year nos, and it is the best mixer I have ever used it soesnt even vompare to the sound board output into the 1st channel/ it is much clearer. I just wish they had put it on a slider instead of a knob.

Sheesh, where in the heck did you find one. I had scoured every site available for the past year and they all had them on backorder.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:10 AM

Re: Mackie Profx8 or 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Sheesh, where in the heck did you find one. I had scoured every site available for the past year and they all had them on backorder.
guitar center here had plenty of them

MACHINE NAME: [Monster]
Windows XP 64 & 32 Professional Dual boot
Processor - AMD xp64 x2 4400
RAM - 2.0g PC3200 ddr2 800ghz
Motherboard msi platinum (latest BIOS and DRIVERS)
Sound Card - sound blaster comp.(On-board sound device)
Video - MSI 6800 128MG
HD Primary - 7 VAROIUS HARD DRIVES ON THIS MACHINE
CD-R - Plextor (PX-W708A 1.04) CD-R - TEAC
DVD/CD-R - NEC (optiplex )
DirectX Version - 9.0c (4.09.0000.0901)
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:35 PM

I don't want to get off track here, but since we're talking mixers. I am using the Peavey 16 FX for karaoke and live band set up:
http://www.peavey.com/products/brows.../116191/16FX™.

And also the Peavey 32 FX for my studio
http://www.peavey.com/products/brows.../116194/32FX™.

These are just incredible. In MHO, the most advanced and fun to play around with mixers on the planet. I have two usb ports on each mixer. I can record an evening of karaoke, or my band practice, or a recording session on a memory stick. No other software needed. Then send it to my studio XP computer mastering software, and edit. Or simply send it to xp, and write a cd of it. That simple no other software needed. Might want to take a quick look at it, and watch the video on peavey's website.

For instance this mixer's computer can completly set up your karaoke location for feedback on all your mics {i currently run 3}, then save it to the library, then bring it up and use it next time you return to that venue. You can use 3 different effects at once! Can't even do that with expensive outboard effect processors, and all the extra cabling involved. A parametric eq, and dual 27 band eq's right on board, that can be saved for your next trip to that venue. I've owned the 16 channel for a couple years now, and i'm still in the learning process. This mixer never ceases to amaze me with what it's capable of doing.

All my studio guitar sessions i record right on the peavey FX32. Then send to my computer editing software, or simply unplug the memory stick, and transfer that. I record Band In A Box backing tracks right on the peavey32 FX, and plug them into my laptop for guitaroke that evening. Also works great with CDG's for hoster as well. Wanna clean up keyrite a little? right here.

I dunno 'bout you. But i have several cassette karaoke songs, and even some cdg's that sound like they were recorded using a boom box and plastic microphone. I load them in the peavey, clean them up, and write them to stick, or send them to my studio computer. Add keyrite if you wish, homeproduce, and microstudio..gotta new useful track. Karaoke is more for me, then just calling up singers. A vary valuable system tool for karaoke. Check it out.....
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:31 PM
VIP

I've been using these for several months now. One question for those who use them (usb mixers). Has anyone notice and sudden jumps in volume or volume down to mnothing all of a sudden?

Old May 10th, 2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I've been using these for several months now. One question for those who use them (usb mixers). Has anyone notice and sudden jumps in volume or volume down to mnothing all of a sudden?

i've been using mine for 3 or 4 months now and the only thing i've noticed was when my laptop is plugged into the usb, it gets so loud that my new Mackie 350v speakers clip mtr. blinks once in a while, but when using the channel line everything is fine..have you tried using the channnel input..to see if you get the same problem..
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:11 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
i've been using mine for 3 or 4 months now and the only thing i've noticed was when my laptop is plugged into the usb, it gets so loud that my new Mackie 350v speakers clip mtr. blinks once in a while, but when using the channel line everything is fine..have you tried using the channnel input..to see if you get the same problem..
No I haven't but the whole reason i bought the thing is to get the USB function to work from the audio interface in the mixer, so I don't have to use the soundcard out of the computer.

I do keep that little round usb volume knob at 9 o'clock and my laptop volume at half way up (that little volume controller in the task bar on the lower right of the screen). When i need to adjust the music volume, it is an ever-so-small turn with that round button.

On my shuttle computer and a different mackie, profx12, one night as I was plugging my laptop into the mixers channel input as a song was playing from the shuttle which was hooked up to the usb side of the mixer, lost all volume just like that. Turned off mixer and back on, all was fine after. Didn't dare to touch anything after that.

let me add this, as I just remembered. That same night when the laptop was plugged in the channel inputs and Shuttle working from usb side, I plugged my usb camera into the laptop, and again, all volume went down again. Can this be coincidence?

Go figure again.

Old May 11th, 2010, 10:47 AM

This sounds like a power draw in the usb ports, try a power cord on the divice before connecting to the usb port.

Joe....
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:39 PM

i dont think its a power draw, when you plugged in your laptop using the usb, your default audio will become the usb audio codec, and when you plugged in your laptop, make sure you change the default audio setting of the laptop.. where in my case is the sigmal tel, the reason i think you lost the audio was because the laptop that you plugged into the channel input, revert back to the onboard soundcard.i think thats how these digtal board with usb works, i dont think you can plugged in anything with a built in soundcard unless you change the default audio setting..when i decided to used just input channel of the profx, my audio went out , i had to closed the program and i had to changed the default audio setting to sigmatel..( int. soundcard ), my way around it was to plugged in whatever you wanted to use ( usb or channel input ) before you t/on your laptop, this will automatically revert back to the int. s/card.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:38 PM
VIP

Quote:
i dont think its a power draw, when you plugged in your laptop using the usb, your default audio will become the usb audio codec, and when you plugged in your laptop, make sure you change the default audio setting of the laptop.. where in my case is the sigmal tel, the reason i think you lost the audio was because the laptop that you plugged into the channel input, revert back to the onboard soundcard.i think thats how these digtal board with usb works, i dont think you can plugged in anything with a built in soundcard unless you change the default audio setting..when i decided to used just input channel of the profx, my audio went out , i had to closed the program and i had to changed the default audio setting to sigmatel..( int. soundcard ), my way around it was to plugged in whatever you wanted to use ( usb or channel input ) before you t/on your laptop, this will automatically revert back to the int. s/card.
I see, but the laptop was another device plugged into the mixer, not the one playing hoster thru the usb. The mixer itself should be able to take more than one different input, shouldn't it. My other mixer (profx8); I have two laptops in it at one time, the main one (Hoster) with usb input, and another (backup) with channel input playing back samples from time to time.

Old May 11th, 2010, 07:44 PM
VIP

Quote:
I see. But the laptop was another device plugged into the channel inputs. The Shuttle computer was the one playing hoster thru the usb at that time. The mixer should be able to take other devices into the channel inputs while one device is playing thru the usb, shouldn't it.

My other setup used two laptops. One with Hoster playing thru the USB, and another (backup laptop) playing thru a channel input at the same time, which I use to play videos between singers once in a while.

Old May 11th, 2010, 07:46 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Nieves View Post
This sounds like a power draw in the usb ports, try a power cord on the divice before connecting to the usb port.

Joe....
But this is NOT the same device playing Hoster thru the USB. It is another completely different device (laptop) that was being plugged in as the Shuttle computer was playing simultaneously fine at the time thru the USB.

Old May 11th, 2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I see, but the laptop was another device plugged into the mixer, not the one playing hoster thru the usb. The mixer itself should be able to take more than one different input, shouldn't it. My other mixer (profx8); I have two laptops in it at one time, the main one (Hoster) with usb input, and another (backup) with channel input playing back samples from time to time.
the laptop that was plugged into the channel input do you know if the audio setting was changed to the onboard audio device?, mixer should be able to, if both of them( laptops ) has the same audio device setting, since the profx8/12 only has one, then the other audio gear should be change to a diff. audio setting, unless the audio gear your plugging in is an analog or the board has two usb input.
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:37 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Nieves View Post

Joe....
You mean plugging the mixer(device) in. Of course I do that.

Old May 17th, 2010, 10:40 AM
VIP

Quote:
When you use the usb to mixer setup, where do you have your volume settings normally; I mean the usb volume knob on the mixer, and the main volume slider on the mixer, and the volume control on the laptop (computer). (You know, that little volume slider down on the task bar)?

Old May 17th, 2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
When you use the usb to mixer setup, where do you have your volume settings normally; I mean the usb volume knob on the mixer, and the main volume slider on the mixer, and the volume control on the laptop (computer). (You know, that little volume slider down on the task bar)?

i have the usb volume to about 8'clock ( can't get any higher than that it gets too loud ) and the mixer up to unity gain, and i have the laptops volume all the way up. i always use the boards volume control to trim down the loudness of the volume output.
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:00 PM
VIP

Quote:
i have the usb volume to about 8'clock ( can't get any higher than that it gets too loud ) and the mixer up to unity gain, and i have the laptops volume all the way up. i always use the boards volume control to trim down the loudness of the volume output.

Hmm, sheesh, I have the usb knob at 9oclock (8 oclock last night), the laptop volume only at 1/2 way, and the main mixer volume slider below unity, and the powered JBL Eon 15 speakers at i/2 way volume as well. and its still quite loud, what do you suggest I try.

What do you suggest I try?

Old May 17th, 2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Hmm, sheesh, I have the usb knob at 9oclock (8 oclock last night), the laptop volume only at 1/2 way, and the main mixer volume slider below unity, and the powered JBL Eon 15 speakers at i/2 way volume as well. and its still quite loud, what do you suggest I try.

What do you suggest I try?

my suggestion would be, 1st, turn all the eq's slider to 0( center ) but not muted, and not bypassed..2nd turn the laptops volume up, speakers to 12oclock, usb to 8oclock , main ( board) to unity ( u ) 3rd, play a kma file, and sing, turn the eq's fader slowly while singing till you get the right amount of volume to your likeness,( right amount of highs, lows and mids) you can usually tell on the main volume meter( lights ) i only have mine goes up to 7.(max.) i'm not familiar with JBL , but if it has a clip meter and it lights up steady, turn your usb down to 7 until the clip light goes out ., or blinks once in a while..make sure that the vocals are a little louder than the music, adj. the mics when needed..remember adjusting the eq's will either make your overall audio output loud or low..worst muddy..

Last edited by billyo; May 17th, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:19 AM

Try the Peavey PV10 USB. Its a nice sounding board with great vocal effects. I don't use the USB yet but may in the future. Plus, you don't have to wait two years for them to get their s**t together!