MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old February 9th, 2004, 11:25 PM

A slow plextor

I updated windows xp. Reloaded directx 9. Ran dxdiag and there are no more problems that I could see. And it's still slow After 5-6 min read speed slows down. I had auto checked for read speed. I tried a slower speed and it got worse. The drive kept spinning up and down.It never got past Starting disk analysis operation . Here is the new results, I don't understand what I am looking at.
Old February 10th, 2004, 08:15 AM

dan,
the reason I asked earlier, what brand of disk, are you trying to copy, and which track is it slowing down on.......... is because the newest protection sceme is multisession . in which all the tracks but the last 2 import normally, the last track is a data track, which you do not need and they add a lot of errors on tho the last track of the next to the last song so it will take forever to import.

infact on multisession the next to the last track will never finish reading, when it stops reading, edject the cd, and look on the hard drive you will find your track there it will import.

is this the case....... please try importing tracks, and look at the tracks, not the overall cd import. I think this is what you will find
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:43 AM

A slow plextor

I have no idea what brand of disk I am copying from. I tried to just import. At the begining track 1 - 7 were 3 - 4 min long and it only took 1 min each to import . At track 11 it started to slow down. I just finished importing track 16 and it took 5 min and this track is less than 3 min long. Track 18 is still reading it has been 30 min for this track alone. Total time so far is 1 hour and 7 min to just import. Dan
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:54 AM

on track 18 did it slow down or stop at approx 75% finished ?

if so push the eject button, and it will give you an error. but it will still have written the track to the hard drive.

the new multisession disks will show 1 track more than the label shows. when you do a track read.

ie: if you have a 17 track cd it will show 18 tracks......
the 18th track is data, and will not process.
track 17 will only read 75%, but it will all be ther doing as I say.
Old February 10th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Exclamation Dxdiag

Dan,

after reading your dxdiag I did notice some minor problems that may not have an impact on your existing problem but I just thought I would let you know:

You have an integrated sound device (SoundMax) that is not disable in your Bios which is saying Yes for the default sound playback when your SB Live should be the default card!

I would first disable the Soundmax in the Bios.

If your C drive is where your Windows is installed, why is the drive in FAT32 when the E drive is an NTFS?? The C drive appears to be a 20 gig drive that might be spinning at 5400rpm?

You see, my experience tells me that Windows XP will work MUCH better when installed on NTFS and any other drive you install for Music should be FAT32.

Another thing, are you saving the imported songs (Microstudio)into you C drive? If yes, you only have 2.3 gig available so this could slow down the import.

If you do have the skills and of course the patient I would recommend you start from fresh with an all new installation, you just won't believe the difference when Windows is installed properly!!

I can guide you thru the process if you wish...

regards
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:21 AM

Dan,

Sounds like you possibly might have a burner software conflict.

If you are using Roxio Easy CD Creator 5, there's a portion of it called "Take Two" which can cause serious conflicts. If this is the case you'll continue to have the problem no matter what else you do.

You can either uninstall the software, and do a manual install, omitting "Take Two", or go to their website and download the free version 6 upgrade which automatically removes "Take Two", as they have dropped it from their new releases.

Hope this gets it for you.

Take care,

George
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:28 PM

A slow plextor

Thank you george I'll ckeck with the web site to get an update or something
Old February 12th, 2004, 12:06 PM

Dan,
Try copying an Audio CD on this same system in Microstudio and see how long it takes. If this is faster then it is the CD that you are trying to copy. If the results are still the same then I would say it is a computer Issue for sure.