MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old November 17th, 2002, 12:57 PM

Talking Are you sure?

I have three laptops and I want to turn one of them into a karaoke machine for my daughter.

I have looked through several Karaoke websites and I like the sound of your software (with tone changing abilities, and the use of the CDG format).

I downloaded the demo software and it tells me that the drives on ALL three laptops (which are all different) are "NO" in the karaoke compatibility.

My question: If the software says NO does it really mean NO.
My goal is to be able to PLAY the CDG karaoke discs and use the laptop as a karaoke machine, but I could care less about burning the CDG discs or such since I plan to buy them.

How can I find out whether my laptop(s) will PLAY the CDG karaoke discs alright?

Once again, does NO always mean NO, or does it sometimes mean "MAYBE"?

IF the MTU system is not applicable to my desires, could somebody maybe point me towards a software package that will work okay (I know it won't be as professional as the MTU but this is for my kids anyhow).

thanks in advance.
mike
Old November 17th, 2002, 03:12 PM

NO means NO.. You can check out MTU supported drives at :

just click the link,

http://www.mtu.com/support/cdr-ide-drives.htm

And you can check out each CDR in your laptops on the manufacturer's web site for spec's, that should also tell you if they are able to read or write CD+G's.

If I were going to just have a toy for the kids to sing karaoke on I don't think I would use a laptop, when there are so many small karaoke players advertised now for less than you can buy a good CD+G burner for. ( Target, K-Mart, Kohls)

Jim
Old November 17th, 2002, 04:10 PM

Mike, I don't believe it's a software issue. Assuming your drives in the laptops are all IDE CDROM drives (most are) I don't believe that any IDE CDROM drives read CDG. If any of the drives are CDR drives, then the drive would still have to support CDG(most don't). If this is for the kiddos the get into Karaoke with, you might want to consider Jim's advice.

George
Old November 17th, 2002, 09:05 PM

I have a similar problem. I have a laptop I would like to use for my daughter as a karaoke machine. The drive in the laptop is a Toshiba SD-C2102. I visit to Toshiba's web site for technical info on the drive shows that is is supposed to support CD+G.
URL is http://sdmswb01.config.toshiba.com/I...00659c00000000

So what gives? I can't seem to find any software that will let me play CD+G disks (with the lyrics). It plays fine as an audio disk, but that sorta defeats the point.
Old November 17th, 2002, 10:17 PM

MIKE...ARVOREEN
If you feel reasonably certain that your CDR drive should support CDG there are some steps that might help resolve the problem if Microstudio is not recognizing the drive.

DirextX 8.0 or later must be installed. To check this click on start, then CLICK run, then type in DXDIAG
then click ok...On the system page that pops up,near the bottom it will tell you which version of Direct X you have . If anything less than 8.0, go to the Microsoft site and download the latest version of DirectX. Probably will be 8.1...

That may cure the problem, if not then go to the second thread down from the top in the Microstudio open discussions forum to the thread dated 9/16 titled "How To Upgrade ASPI Drivers For Microstudio" follow those directions to the letter. Don't forget after downloading and checking to change from MTU installed drivers to Default drivers(which you just installed)( click on drives, then ASPI and select default) , exit the program and re-enter. That part is easy to overlook.

If still no success, go to your drive manufacturer's site and download their latest drivers for your drive.

If still no success, support from your drive manufacturer seems to be in order.

Hope this takes care of it for you both.

George

http://www.microsoft.com

Last edited by George; November 18th, 2002 at 10:06 AM.