MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old December 8th, 2000, 01:05 PM

I'm currently using a Yamaha 8424 IDE drive for recording. I see that this drive is no longer supported by MTU, although I've had no trouble with mine. I'd like to know the latest drive/speed supported with MTU products and Microstudio.

I was thinking about buying the new Yamaha CD recorder that record up to 16X.

Thanks,
Cid
Old February 28th, 2001, 12:43 PM

Hi Cid Cat,
Did you ever buy the yamaha 16x unit? I think MTU does support it now. It has by far the largest buffer size of any recorder on the market(8 meg). I emailed yamaha and they said it will read and write cdg(for what that is worth). I have a TDK 12x that does read and write cdg, but it reads very very slowly. I'd like to buy the yamaha, but MTU doesn't seem to be real keen on their products anymore.
Thanks,
Roger
Old March 9th, 2001, 08:48 AM

The 16x Yamaha

I do have the EIDE version of the new Yamaha drive. Last night I purchased Microstudio and everything went OK, accpet it did not burn the graphics on the CD. The Yamaha player will not even play the original disc with graphics as it only plays music with a blue screen. The firmware for the drive doesn't look like it enhances any format or anything, nor does the drive iteslf state that it actually reads CD-G.

I only bought the software due to the fact that MTU posted that this drive was supported, so so far I am not very happy with my results as this being a supported drive. I really don't know what other options to try to select as the read/write was successful less the graphics.

Any thoughts from anyone?
XenCade
Old March 14th, 2001, 08:43 AM

The only reason that the Yamaha 2100 drive is supported is that it does support the CD+G format.

All of the drives that are listed on our web site will read/write the CD+G format. Now, this doesn't mean that the one that you buy will work. When we were selling the HP, Sony and Yamaha drives, we were returning about 6 out of every 10 drives to our vendor, because the drives wouldnt work correctly with the CD+G format. This is when we switched over to the plextor drives. We have had extremely good results with the Plextor 12x and even better results with the new Plextor 16x working flawless every time. We have only had a total of about 2 failures, out of about 200 Plextor drives that we have sold.

The only drive that we recommnend and suggest to be used is the Plextor 12x or 16x and I would go with the 16x. The new 16x is an updated drive to the 12x, but it seems more stable at burning at the highest speeds of 16x, where we have seen some problems burning at 12x with the Plextor 12x.

If speed is what you are looking for, the only drive to go with would be the Plextor 16x. We sell this drive for $340 us dollars.

Thanks,