MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old February 28th, 2005, 11:12 PM

Thumbs down Super CDG support - does not exist

Does the Plextor PX-712UF support recording Super CD+G.

If this drive will not work, what do you recommend using?

Does Super CD+G use the actual CD+G format or is it converted to something else? If converted, is the quality the same or less?

I am thinking of switching to Super CD+G so that I can get my 12,000+ songs (and more in the future) onto just a few disks. Will save lots of room at the places I do parties at. Sometimes space is at a premium.

Thanks.
Old March 1st, 2005, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Re: Super CDG support

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynec
Does the Plextor PX-712UF support recording Super CD+G.

If this drive will not work, what do you recommend using?

Does Super CD+G use the actual CD+G format or is it converted to something else? If converted, is the quality the same or less?

I am thinking of switching to Super CD+G so that I can get my 12,000+ songs (and more in the future) onto just a few disks. Will save lots of room at the places I do parties at. Sometimes space is at a premium.

Thanks.
Drive may work, but no software to back it up so far.

SCDG is NOT CD+G format. It uses MP3 compression and is far less quality.

Before you think too hard of converting, think about what happens if you scratch one. Scratching a $15-$30 CD+G disc with 10-18 songs is bad enough. What will you do when you scratch a $150-$450 SCDG disc?

Lots of folks have been duped into paying good money before they realize the loss from a single scratch can be 10x what a CDG disc is, and the quality is NOT the same.

Also, to our knowledge, these are ILLEGAL discs. The licenses for songs on them, when you compute the cost per song, strongly prove the licenses are NOT paid. I would be very careful of investing all your money in these discs and CAVS player.
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:17 PM

Re: Super CDG support - does not exist

Thank you for your reply.

I am only "thinking" about changing to SCDG at this point. I don't make rash decisions and I will do a lot of research and thinking before making any change. And I may not do it at all.

I would be burning my CDG tracks onto my own SCDG blanks, not buying any SCDG disks. I already have 12,000+ tracks (without dupes and all paid for). Buying any SCDG disk would be a waste of money. So the cost of my SCDGs would be the cost of a blank disk AND my time to re-record it if it gets scratched or becomes unusable.

The problem with scratched disks is a very important consideration. But also for me is the number of disks I have to haul around. I can handle a bit more than the 12,000 songs I have now but someday a limit will be reached. Then what? Note that I have already consolidated all my tracks on my own CDs, putting as many as possible on each disk and eliminating dupes.

Another possibility is to only put some of my tracks on SCDG to free up some space, leaving most on regular CDG.

In what way(s) is the quality poorer? I do want to provide the best possible experience for my customers.
Old March 1st, 2005, 02:54 PM

I only can think of one word to solve this problem of toting around books and books of CD's possibly scrathes and other porblems............

Hoster

Nuff said

Roger
WD 250gb USB
Plexwriter Premium USB
Old March 1st, 2005, 03:13 PM

Have considered Hoster.

Problems:

* Computers break down and hard drives fail, usually at the worst possible time. Meaning I still would have to haul around the disks as a backup along with the player to play them.

* Would need a third monitor. Have 2 already for the singers and the audience. Yes I would use a laptop which would have the third monitor.

* Currently have over 12,000 tracks. I can see the day when I am up to 20,000 tracks. This would require a massive hard drive, possibly also using an external drive or two. I have 400 GB of hard drive space on my computer and even then it will not hold all the tracks I currently have.

* This adds MORE stuff to haul around, not less.

Hoster is what I would buy if I went computer but based on the above I see potential problems with the computer idea.

Last edited by waynec; March 1st, 2005 at 03:17 PM. Reason: changes
Old March 1st, 2005, 05:12 PM

waynec,

I have 16,229 songs imported into Hoster and it's using 71.9gb on the drive (Hoster KMA compression is so much better then using bin files. They average appox. 5mb for a song) I also have 9017 WMA files imported into Media Player for DJ/Background music that consumes 34gb. This is sitting on a 250gb drive and backup on a 120gb drive just in case the 250 fails. So all I take to my shows are my Laptop a 250gb and a CD player in case someone brings there own disc, plus the rest of my sound system naturally.

So I carry in my laptop bag and then unload my sound system set up takes appox 20 minutes for start to noise

Best,

Roger

WD 250gb USB
Plexwriter Premium USB