MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Closed Thread

Old July 15th, 2004, 04:58 AM

why are MP3's sounding

My MP3's sound bad sometimes. Some the sound(bass and clarity drop out and come back. Sometimes the song is good in one speaker bu soft or no bass. I notice different sound or instuments play in both speakers and sometimes it don't. What causes this? My mackie mixer? windows media player? Ripping quality?

Please Help
Rich
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:04 PM

Re: why are MP3's sounding

If the sound problem is not from the cd media quality, cd source quality or mp3 bit rate selection, it may be due to a bad audio connection from the sound card to the mixer. Good Luck..
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:26 PM

What you described is a poor bit rate. With a standard mp3 encoder I suggest you don't go less than 128k or if you have too I suggest you go with the wma format which is better compare to a standard mp3 encoder.
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:18 PM

I used win media player to rip them and ripped them at a 128 rate. I used my MTU CD Rom drive to do so.

Also I agree the stereo sound would be great but I can hear drops in bass and then it comes back. Some times it don't. I can hear it but everyone else says they don't only one or two expirenced singers say they can hear it. And 9 times out of 10 its on MP3 or music I ripped with win media player.

want a crisp clear consistant sound

"I know, that it's only karaoke, but I like it, like it, yes I do"
HEHEHEHEHE instead of the Stones it only rock and roll...LOL
Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:05 AM

Actually. I wouild never rip an MP3 at 128, it still sounds like crap. I use at the very least 192. As for hoster i rip at the 128 setting because it's equivelant to a 256 mp3
Beta Test Machine: DELL Inspiron 1721 * Vista Home Premium SP1 * AMD Athlon 64 dual core tk-57 1.90MHz * DVD/CDR Drive * 250GB HDD * 3GB RAM.

Show Work PC: Windows XP Pro sp3 * Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz, 4MB * 2GB DDR2-667 RAM * 80GB HD (C: for OS & Apps) * 500GB HD * 250 GB HD * DVD Recorder (Sony ADW-Q170A) * M-Audio Delta 410 Audio * ATI RADEON X1600 Pro 512MB video.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:27 AM

Even still If I rip at 128 or play the cd straight they sound the same. Its the stereo vs mono effects I am having problems with. I agree stereo would be great if I were playing to crowds evenly form the speakers. But, in clubs or bars some people will be closer to one speaker or the other so they wont hear it in stereo. How do I fix that?

Rich
Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:41 PM
Frequent Member

The software program SoundForge

Has a neat little feature, you can Punch Up the Bass and Treble for better
sounding mp3's.
Old July 26th, 2004, 02:22 PM

MP3's sound bad because they are truncated.

If you are using windows media player, why are you saving as mp3. save as a wma file and save space, and get better quality. also on the windows media player, use the equalizer to enhance the highs and lows, and they will sound better than the cd.

I have been playing this weekend with a new program for audio dj'ing. BPM Studio. and quite frankly I don't understand why people go to the trouble to use a program like this when windows media player does the same thing easier, and better quality.

FWIW,
Media player 10 is in the final stages of beta testing. and it is much improved.
Old July 26th, 2004, 08:44 PM

Media Player is currently giving me fits. The playlist seems very cumbersome to me to edit on the fly. I use auto volume leveling feature, and it's worse than just letting them play.

I like the sound quality in media player, but it ends right there. The cross fading function is OK, but I have songs that end with 10 seconds of dead air. I keep the cross fade set at 3.9 seconds, but it only makes a good blend about 50% of the time.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid to put anything different on my PC, for fear that it will mess up Hoster or something. I already voided my warranty by adding a wireless network card (according to MTU), so I'm sort of stuck at this point as to what to do next.

I don't dare do any tweaking of hardware settings.

"Kick it with a tasty groove!"
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:21 AM

Strange,
I have never imported a cd and had 10 seconds of dead air, and have over 2500 cd's in the system right now. I can understand that with downloaded mp3's because some take those off the internet.

I havent ever used volume leveling either. they seem fine right out of the player to me.

I guess if you are into the "DJ" mode, then use bpm studio, It is good, I just don't like it. It has a 150 page manual.
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:37 AM

Just another product to check out. I have used "OtsDj" along with Hoster on the same laptop for the past few years with no problems what so ever. I have no audio drops and Ots has an automatic crossfade function that works perfectly. It isn't inexpensive but I can run OtsDj and hoster on the same laptop simultaneously with no problems. Check it out at www.otsdj.com.
Closed Thread