MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: what is a fair amount?
100.00 - 150.00 28 9.18%
150.00 - 200.00 123 40.33%
200.00 - 250.00 91 29.84%
250.00 - up 63 20.66%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 27th, 2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanross View Post
If you've considered moving, research areas in The South. People are very pleasant here and Karaoke is as Country as it gets. Not that we don't have our share of Southern Rockers, Classic Rockers, Hip-Hoppers, Pop Idol Wannabes and Alternative singers, but if you can't sing Country music in The South, y'all can't sing it anywhere.
That's pretty much how it is here in NOVA. Get this, the owner of the Pizzeria that I do two shows a month, advertises my show as "Country Karaoke" Since the majority of my crowd does everything from Classic country to The Cosmo Pop Country. Need an avatar with a Cowboy hat! LOL
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctrego View Post
In my opinion Anyone charging less then $200 per night when they have their own equipment is just making it harder for the rest of the group to get their rates where they should be. You either have the thought that you are GOOD and WORTH it or not.
If you do not have the confidence, then maybe this is not your thing......If you are drawing a good crowd, they will pay it gladly..

Russ

Russ, you're absolutely correct on people whom charge less and are cut-throat. They do make it harder for everyone else. The biggest issue is that they may "think" they're getting a better start this way... but when they realize the additional monies that are needed to invest to KEEP up with the business then it's too late to ask for more.
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:19 AM

rate of pay less than 200

When Considering How Much To Charge You Need To Consider The Night Of The Week And Where You Are Playing, If You Are Playing In A Big Town That You Know The Bars Are Always Busy And Can Support It Yes 200 Plus Is Great, But In A Little Community In The Middle Of The Week Or Even On The Weekends It's Hard To Get That, I Do Charge 200 Or More When I Have To Drive More Than 1/2 Hour Away. But At The Same Time, In The Small Community Where I Live Charging 175 Is Fair And When They Have A Good Night They Give Extra, But If It's A Slow Night You Still Get The 175..i Don't Believe It's Undercutting At 175 If That Is The Average Of What The Others Are Charging. There Is One Kj Who Is Going Around Charging Nothing Because She Says She Doesn't Need The Money... Now That Isn't Fair And There Is Nothing That Can Be Done About It, I Say You Get What You Pay For.........
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:36 AM

Rate Of Pay

The theory that everyone should charge the same price and those who charge less is hurting the rest of us is pure myth. Not everyone is worth the same. Some invest very little in their show, for varying reasons. Some can't afford it, some don't care. If anyone thinks someone who is just starting out can get what a well know performer gets, i certainly would like to know how. Many very good kj's start out making less just to get their foot in the door. The ones who just want a little money isn't going to be around very long anyway, so why concern yourself. Do You Show, forget what the other guy gets.
If you do your show and do it well, you can charge the bigger fee and get it. I personally don't care what someone else is getting. I have been playing quite a few years and i have found the system weeds itself of the ones who can't cut it.
muzicman
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:45 PM

I couldnt have said it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailMom View Post
Russ, you're absolutely correct on people whom charge less and are cut-throat. They do make it harder for everyone else. The biggest issue is that they may "think" they're getting a better start this way... but when they realize the additional monies that are needed to invest to KEEP up with the business then it's too late to ask for more.
Not only that railmom but they are undermining those of us who have BEEN AT THIS FOR YRS. 16 to be exact and they keep cutting each others throats and ours every time they do it. bands cost 500 and up a night a good kj/dj should have a library that NO band could dream of, ergo no band can match, so getting 200 a night is not that much. And it hurts me when someone comes into my area and starts out at 75 $#!@^* dollars a night and my bar says well I can get this new guy ALOT cheaper, even though the new guy /girl doesnt have what I got much less better. but if your smart enought o find the going rate in an area then that is what you ask for. And your reading this and you think you cant then upgrade your karaoke or get a different JOB.
thank for for posting railmom
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleekaraoke View Post
When Considering How Much To Charge You Need To Consider The Night Of The Week And Where You Are Playing, If You Are Playing In A Big Town That You Know The Bars Are Always Busy And Can Support It Yes 200 Plus Is Great, But In A Little Community In The Middle Of The Week Or Even On The Weekends It's Hard To Get That, I Do Charge 200 Or More When I Have To Drive More Than 1/2 Hour Away. But At The Same Time, In The Small Community Where I Live Charging 175 Is Fair And When They Have A Good Night They Give Extra, But If It's A Slow Night You Still Get The 175..i Don't Believe It's Undercutting At 175 If That Is The Average Of What The Others Are Charging. There Is One Kj Who Is Going Around Charging Nothing Because She Says She Doesn't Need The Money... Now That Isn't Fair And There Is Nothing That Can Be Done About It, I Say You Get What You Pay For.........
Jlee, I agree that where you're at and what day has a good part of the price. You will find ONE KJ in Aberdeen South Dakota (land of 27K people) that charges over 150 any given night.... but then again, he's the ONLY KJ that comes to Aberdeen, and he comes from afar. But, he's well worth his weight.

In Galesburg, IL, however, the average KJ charges about 150-200 (land of 36K people), and there's a couple that started out there about 3 years ago, that charge WAY less, litterally stealing customers from another KJ that she used to work for!! But, again, you do get what you pay for.
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:16 PM

I live in jersey and I have been doing this for a long time. Here in New Jersey I work in different Latin clubs for no less than $200 during the week, but is $250 and up on weekends no exceptions. I also do this for a living and I take it really serious.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM

Small village in Alberta.

I run a Karaoke in the local bar every other week with the son of the owner working the opposite week, this village only as a population of 350. I use their equipment it's already set up and I get $100 plus the drinks for my wife and I all night, I only have a few beers at the end of the show, but my wife makes up for it, so you could say that I get about $130 / night.

I also have my own equipment and when I do a private show I charge between $250 - $350 depending on the amount of people.

I do it because I enjoy seeing people having a good time, and no matter what the level of singer they are I always try to make they feel like a star, after all it take a lot of gut's for some people to get up in front of a crowd of people and belt out a song. I call my company Funtime Karaoke because thats what it's all about.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:14 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wakefield View Post
I run a Karaoke in the local bar every other week with the son of the owner working the opposite week, this village only as a population of 350. I use their equipment it's already set up and I get $100 plus the drinks for my wife and I all night, I only have a few beers at the end of the show, but my wife makes up for it, so you could say that I get about $130 / night.

I also have my own equipment and when I do a private show I charge between $250 - $350 depending on the amount of people.

I do it because I enjoy seeing people having a good time, and no matter what the level of singer they are I always try to make they feel like a star, after all it take a lot of gut's for some people to get up in front of a crowd of people and belt out a song. I call my company Funtime Karaoke because thats what it's all about.
That's sounds like a decent deal, and very similar to how it goes around here.

Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM

Talking

Not every show I do is always the same, I may get 175-200 for a straight Karaoke show, but if I am doing a wedding or a private party my rates are 350-550 for one show.

Usually, the Legion Posts and the VFW's I work have a straight 175-200 fee, no exceptions, however I am allowed to put out the tip jar and I will generate another 50-100 bucks on top of the 175-200, so it comes out in the wash. At least for me it does.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old September 23rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
Not every show I do is always the same, I may get 175-200 for a straight Karaoke show, but if I am doing a wedding or a private party my rates are 350-550 for one show.

Usually, the Legion Posts and the VFW's I work have a straight 175-200 fee, no exceptions, however I am allowed to put out the tip jar and I will generate another 50-100 bucks on top of the 175-200, so it comes out in the wash. At least for me it does.
My wife does weekly vfw, keeps the equip. there, 4 hour show, gets free glasses of wine (3), they pay 150, gonna ask for 180 soon though.

Weddings we try to get 400 -600 but private parties around 300.

Closed Thread