MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old October 5th, 2011, 03:37 AM

.lst files

I've been saving my CD's as 1.lst, 2.lst and so on. I went to "Write Disc." and clicked, then hit "Open". Then clicked 1.lst and it is blank. In fact all of the .lst files are. I was under the impression that the lists were there to write those CD's at a later time... Did I miss something?
Old October 5th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Re: .lst files

The .lst files are just a pointer to where the (Imported) copied files were stored on your computer. If you moved the original files or folder, renamed it or deleted them then the .lst files can't find the original files.
For instance if you saved them to your C/ drive then later moved them to your external usb drive the .lst file is not aware of this so will return a blank list.

When you import a CD for copying, do you always import them to the same folder ?
If you always import to the same folder then brows to that folder using Windows Explorer and check the files are listed there.

I recollect you asking in a previous thread about moving your files to an external, that is why I reckon you have this problem now.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.

Last edited by Roy Dennis; October 5th, 2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:01 AM

I seem to remember seeing them in the .ist files before I moved the songs to my G drive. Hum, sucks. It wouldn't be so bad if the manual adding of songs in the write mode, did't kick your back to the top of the screen after each addition. Is there a quicker way to copy those CD's now?... What good are the isd. files now to me. Seems this should be changed in the future...
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPyle View Post
It wouldn't be so bad if the manual adding of songs in the write mode, did't kick your back to the top of the screen after each addition.
I don't quite understand what you mean in your above statement.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Are these lst files that you saved random songs to make up a your own compilations or are they direct copies of manufacturers CD+G ?
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I seem to remember seeing them in the .ist files before I moved the songs to my G drive. Hum, sucks. It wouldn't be so bad if the manual adding of songs in the write mode, did't kick your back to the top of the screen after each addition. Is there a quicker way to copy those CD's now?... What good are the isd. files now to me. Seems this should be changed in the future...
The key to your problem is in your above statement. "I seem to remember seeing them in the .ist files before I moved the songs to my G drive."
By moving the song files then your .LST file does not know where to find the files to add to the list because the .lst file is a list of locations of files to add. Since you moved them the list cannot find them.
I find the easiest way to create write lists is to work from the master list (left column). If I want to duplicate a particular original CD, then I sort that list by Filename. That groups all songs in a DiskID order so I can find all of the songs from a particular CD. Then I highlight them and add them to the playlist, highlight them all in the playlist and add them to the write disk list. Open Write Disk and they will all be there at once.
Old October 5th, 2011, 11:14 AM

Thats the answer I was looking for Dale. Thanks... One other dumb question, how do I get them to highlight in this program. I tried alot of different combos and I am just missing it.
Old October 5th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

From microstudio main dialog, left click the first song of your choice then at the end of your chosen songs hold down shift and at the same time left click.
This highlights all that group.
If you just want individual songs, instead of shift use the CTRL key.
Old October 5th, 2011, 11:31 AM

Great, thanks Roy. I was tring hold shift> left click drag before...Ok, How do I move it into the playlist now...lol...
Old October 5th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

While they are highlited, click on the + button next to the delete button top of the playlist area, then press the Add to Write button at the bottom to send them there for burning copies.
Old October 5th, 2011, 12:01 PM

Oh how sweet, well I'm a happy camper agian. Thanks so much guys...
Old October 7th, 2011, 01:15 PM

FYI...Once you move your song files to another hard drive you lose your lst.file saves. However, lst.files saved thereafter are fully saved. So, unless I missed it, that should be noted in the manual...Which surprised me because those files were in Microstudio, and not moved. Maybe the programmers can fix that for a later patch as I entend to move my songs to another hard drive in the future, and those are handy...
Old October 7th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, any files saved after your moving them are valid .lst files. It does not matter that the .lst file is on the C drive.
The .lst file is just a text file containing an index to where the song files were at the time of saving them. If after saving a .lst file you move the original song files to another folder or drive or rename them just slightly, the .lst file will not be able to find them again.
Renaming files in the Hoster edit dialog will not affect them as this only edits header information not the actual file names.
Maybe this point could be looked at in future editions or though to my knowledge you are the only person that has mentioned it.
You might get it noticed better if you start a thread for it in the Microstudio New Features Requests, were it is less likely to be forgotton.
Old October 7th, 2011, 04:57 PM

There is a way to save your playlist, and I had this same exact problem years ago and solve it myself...., but don't know if it will be ok to post what I did in this thread, so if your interested, drop me a PM and I will reply with the info you need...

Good Luck,

Joe...
Old October 7th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

You could try this idea: find the .lst file you want to change using windows explora, probably in C:/MTU/Microstudio folder, now rename it to a .txt file example as in your case 1.lst rename to 1.txt

Now right click on it and select open and it should open in notepad if it doesn't right click again and select open with, then choose notepad. When it opens you should see something like this:
C:\Nicki Minaj & Rihanna - Fly (Clean version).bin
C:\Adele - One & Only.bin
C:\Nicole Scherzinger - Wet.bin

Then from the top menu select the edit tab then Replace, in the next dialog where it says find what type C:\
In the replace box enter the letter for your drive where you moved these files to, example G:\
Then press replace all, this shoud change all the directory leters as in this example:
G:\Nicki Minaj & Rihanna - Fly (Clean version).bin
G:\Adele - One & Only.bin
G:\Nicole Scherzinger - Wet.bin

Now from the file menu select Save.
Now rename the 1.txt file back to 1.lst

Now open microstudio navigate to the file and see if it now finds your files.

Last edited by Roy Dennis; October 7th, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:30 PM

I found a quick way of highlighting from "my songs" and adding them to the "play list", then "add to write list" and then save as, and overwrite the exsisting...Its still a small pain, but it works. I'm just glad I didn't have hundreds of them to redo. Stll someone should look at fixing this...
Old October 7th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I found a quick way of highlighting from "my songs" and adding them to the "play list", then "add to write list" and then save as, and overwrite the exsisting...Its still a small pain, but it works. I'm just glad I didn't have hundreds of them to redo. Stll someone should look at fixing this...
There isn't anything to fix. If you create a list and then move the files on that list then there isn't any program that is going to find those files. Simple as that. The list is nothing more than an index of where the files are located. As Roy said the only way to "fix" them is to edit them as a text file. By manually adding in the new path.
Old October 8th, 2011, 04:39 AM

Ok, I think I got it... The next move for my files is to copy them to the hard drive I'm going to use for gigs, leaving the originals on the one at home. So just coping them over should leave my .lst files intact on my home hard drive right? I guess I'll test it...
Old October 8th, 2011, 04:47 AM

Sorry for being a pain guys... Well I tested just coping files over to another drive, seems the .lst files remain intact.
Old October 10th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sorry for being a pain guys... Well I tested just coping files over to another drive, seems the .lst files remain intact.
As long as you just copy, leaving the original set where ther were when you created the lists works fine. However moving the files to another drive without leaving the original set where they were then the list will not work.