MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Vogone & Vogone Easy Software > Vogone Help

Vogone Help Post Vogone questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old April 29th, 2004, 09:33 AM

No Sound Card installed

Hi,

I've just purchased and installed latest version of Vogone only to be told by the program that I have no sound card installed and I should install one now. Hmm? Obviously I do have a sound card which runs fine with all aspects of my PC running XPP.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to sort this out.

Thanks

Dave
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:08 AM

dsmail,
The only thing that can cause this to happen that I am aware of is that your operating system is missing some of the updates. To fix this, connect this computer to the Internet, click the Start Menu\Windows Update. Once this page comes up click Scan for Updates.

Then add every update that you can, tell it to install them. Once this is done, Reboot the computer, rerun the Windows Update over and over until all of the Updates have been installed and no more show. You should then beable to run Vogone.
Old April 29th, 2004, 11:00 AM

Thanks for your prompt response. As you must well know, there are many updates for windows XP and I'd be reluctant to install "every" update as many of them relate to parts of the OS I never use like "messenger" for example. Surely you don't mean to include all these. I visit the update sight on a regular basis and reckon I'm pretty up to date but I'll another look. Do ASPI driver effect Vogone as I notice that other programmes you offer DO relate to these drivers and I noticed that a diagnostis utility I use reported no ASPI drivers installed on my system.

Thanks

Dave
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:24 AM

I went along to windows update and installed everything available as you suggested, but this made no difference, I still get the missing sound device error message followed by the message that Vogone must now close. There is an error log text file that is generated by Vogone. Would posting that help. What are my options to get Vogone running, as so far I haven't managed to anything with it.

Dave

Here's some of my PC spec which may help

AMD Athlon 1.2
1GB SD 133 RAM
ABIT KT7A RAID Motherboard (Via Chipset)
Win XPP SP1
ATI Radeon 64MB Video Card
Creative Audio PCI 128 (CT4810) Sound Card
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:46 AM

Dsmail,
Try Running the DXdiag as described in this FAQ: http://www.mtu.com/kb/index.php?page..._v2&id=18&c=13

You can attach this .txt file to this post, so that we can view it on here. This would be the best.

Also you might try updating your Audio Drivers from Creative from: http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

Let me know when you try this what happens.
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:12 PM

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your reply. There was a newer driver available from Creative for my sound card, but after installation, the same problem was still there. I've attached the results of DXDIAG as you suggested to this message. Hopefully this will help to solve the problem.

Dave
Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dsmail
Thanks for your prompt response. As you must well know, there are many updates for windows XP and I'd be reluctant to install "every" update as many of them relate to parts of the OS I never use like "messenger" for example. Surely you don't mean to include all these. I visit the update sight on a regular basis and reckon I'm pretty up to date but I'll another look. Do ASPI driver effect Vogone as I notice that other programmes you offer DO relate to these drivers and I noticed that a diagnostis utility I use reported no ASPI drivers installed on my system.

Thanks

Dave
ASPI is a driver that allows programs to access the CDR/CDROM/DVDR drives. This would not affect playing at all.

However, it is interesting that you don't have an ASPI as most programs (MTU's do) require this to read/write to a burner.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:21 AM

That's strange then as I use a CD burner with Nero with no problems. It was Sisoft Sandra that reported this error with ASPI drivers....must have been mistaken! At least we can discount ASPI drivers as the cause of my problem. Still been unable to use Vogone with the same "no sound card installed, please install one" error message. Hopefully somebody on the forum will come up with something soon.

Dave
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:16 PM

Well, at this point I would say you would have nothing to loose to try........ uninstall hardware... sound card, and all drivers, and do a fresh install from the original disk.

It is possible that the drivers may have been corrupted, or are in a strange place. I noticed your windows was on the D: drive, which is unusual. it is usually on the c: drive.

Please when you do resolve this problem let us know to help others.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:26 PM

I would agree with GDUNS. This sounds like the best next step to try. It does seem that for some reason the program is just not seeing your Sound Card.

Do you have a Sound Card that is also built onto your motherboard? If you have this on the motherboard, but not disabled in the Motherboard Bios, yet the drivers are not installed in Windows. I am not sure what might happen, but if the program is looking at this card and it is not working right.

One way to find out is to Right click on your My Computer Icon, Left click Properties. Click the Hardware Tab (XP or 2000), click the Device Manager button.

Check under Other Devices and make sure there is no other Sound Card showing up. Then also look under the Sound Devices, and make sure that the only card showing is the Creative Card that you are posting about.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:15 PM

Exclamation a new installation

I would agree with gduns & George and to be honnest, I would start all over and reinstall Windows in the C drive in NTFS than get all updates on the Microsoft site EXCEPT audio & video which you need to get from ATI & Creative.

If you do have an audio card that's already on the motherboard it's always better to cancel from the Bios but the Creative driver will still take control of you PCI 128.

A bit of work but it's the way I would do it!

Good Luck
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:33 PM

No Sound Card Installed

My only sound device is my Creative PCI 128. My motherboard does not have onboard audio. I have tried installing it and reinstalling from original CD but no joy.

Am reluctant to reinstall XPP as it would take weeks / months to regenerate all software, settings tweaks etc. Everything Else works perfectly well as it is. I need my PC for work projects and other jobs.

Did anything come of my posting of the DirectX diagnostic program results.

Well, before I write this off as a total loss of $55, has anybody any final words of hope or advice. I know there are billions of pc configurations in existence, but am I really the first to have got absolutely nowhere with Vogone with my system? I was looking forward to experimenting with the program, but looks like it's not going to happen with my PC. I'm sure there's a simple answer to all this, a tweak of the registry perhaps? or a minor edit in a line or two of an ini file somewhere? Who knows?

Dave
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:31 AM

I am no expert on this, But I think the soundblaster pci was one of the very first soundblaster cards when pci came out many years ago. possibly 10 before they even thought about direct x I would almost be suspicious that it isnt direct x compatible. there are some of the diagnostics it gave a n/a to. could possibly changing to a soundblaster audiology oem which I've seen as cheap as $35-50 make a difference?
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:46 AM

I found something Yesterday in some of the Microsoft code, that might cause this from the DirectSound that we use. I would also think that this could be fixed by putting a new sound card in the system. I would get any newer Sound Blaster board. Make sure the board that you get supports DirectX.

It seems that you can get this if your board doesn't support Hardware Buffering. This may be what your problem is, and is alot simpler than reformatting the computer and reloading.
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:02 PM

Thanks for your continuing help on this one. Seems the consensus is the sound card. I'll get something of a higher and more appropriate spec as you suggest Bryan and see if that helps out. Perhaps an Audiology as gduns mentions. I'll let you know how I get on. Turned in to a bit of an education all this....wouldn't you say.

Thanks

Dave
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:06 PM

My two cents

Just saw this thread.

I have had similar messages when other programs (jukeboxes, etc.) were also using the music files.

Are all other programs turned off when you get this message?

If the answer is "Of course, ya' big galoot!!!" then I hope you enjoy your new sound card.

Good Luck
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:47 PM

Perhaps something like this might do the trick

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEBWA:IT

dave
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:53 AM

Dsmail,
Yes that Sound Blaster Live card should work. We have a few of those in computers here at the office and they do work correctly.
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Wink Audigy

Quote:
Originally posted by dsmail
Thanks for your continuing help on this one. Seems the consensus is the sound card. I'll get something of a higher and more appropriate spec as you suggest Bryan and see if that helps out. Perhaps an Audiology as gduns mentions. I'll let you know how I get on. Turned in to a bit of an education all this....wouldn't you say.

Thanks

Dave
I believe it's Audigy & not Audiology. In the Audigy you have the standard base Audigy & the new Audigy 2 family with 24 bit. I have the Audigy2 ZS which is an excellent card if you also want to set up a home studio where you will need ASIO.

Regards
Old May 5th, 2004, 02:00 PM

I had to check the spelling myself and you are right. I was spelling it the way the techs pronounce it here. I would suggest against the soundblaster live and for the Audigy either 1 or 2 simply because some motherboards have had problems with the "Live" card. I have one such motherboard at home that the soundblaster live is not compatible with. it's a gigabyte, but I understand there are others that have a compatibility problem with this card.