MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: How Do You Use Hoster?
For Karaoke Alone 15 71.43%
For Background Tracks Alone 1 4.76%
For Karaoke And Background Tracks 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 19th, 2007, 04:22 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
my very point, at any point you re-create copy righted music for reuse in a commercial venue, you need to obtain the rights from the copyright owner to do so, or play the club fees, no matter how you use it.
Maybe some one can explain why they could possibly not need to do so.
muzicman144
I've sent an email to the Harry Fox Agency who handle the recording licenses aspect of things. Hopefully they will respond.

Sam
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Not so sure about that permission bit, at least at the recording artist level.

I find it hard to believe that performing artists who've had a recording of theirs "covered" by a more popular artist gave their permission to be knocked off the charts, and that happens all the time.

Little Richard had trouble early in his career with that very thing. He'd come out with a song, and suddenly there was Pat Boone and other more conservative singers with a toned down release of the same song.

Got so bad Little Richard finally came out with songs that were so way out there that Boone and the others didn't dare touch them for fear of looking foolish.

This all came out on an interview I saw a year or two back.

You wouldn't think the artists publishers would have agreed to it either. Wind up with an empty stable pretty fast. I think it's a very ambiguous area.
From the FAQ at Harryfoxagency:
Quote:
What is a Compulsory Mechanical License and the Statutory Rate?
If a composition has already been commercially recorded, and you wish to record and distribute that composition yourself (and you are not the original songwriter), you can obtain a compulsory mechanical license. This is outlined in section 115 of the 1976 United States Copyright Act. The Harry Fox Agency mechanical license is a written variation of the compulsory license. The royalty rate (what gets paid to the music publisher) is set by law, and is known as the "statutory rate." Effective January 1, 2006 the statutory mechanical rate is $.091 for songs 5 minutes or less, or $.0175 per minute or fraction thereof per copy for songs over 5 minutes.
If you can't negotiate a deal with the rights holder to record and distribute a song you can force them with this license. Unfortunately you can't do this with karaoke since there is no compulsory license dealing with the reproduction of written lyrics.

In a small atempt at thumbing there nose at Henley and Frye (who reportedly hate karaoke), SC put out a CDG of Eagles songs they titled "Read between the lines" - There were no lyrics, just the music and Henley/Frye couldn't stop them. The singer either had to know the lyrics or have KKHPro .

Even when I SEE old clips of Pat Boone singing Tutti Frutti, I can't picture it - LOL

Sam
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:54 PM
VIP

Well I heard back from the Harry Fox Agency and it looks like you guys were right and I was wrong.

As illogical as it seems to me you can not recreate and record a copyrighted work for replay in a public place even if even if it's just a backing track and the club has paid their ASCAP fee's. Maybe explains why I've been having trouble finding a US company to custom make some backing tracks for me, however since their are several UK company's that will do it maybe the laws are different there.

Well if you'll excuse me I've got a plate full of crow I need to get working on.

Sam
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:49 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post
Maybe explains why I've been having trouble finding a US company to custom make some backing tracks for me, however since their are several UK company's that will do it maybe the laws are different there.
Probably why Sound Choice moved their custom discs overseas to Austrailia & some songs are appearing & 're-appearing' that haven't been available - or available in a while.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:50 AM
VIP

I had assumed that was why although I still don't see any of the infamous Eagle songs from 8125 - of course seein's how mine was kind of pricey I guess that's a good thing .

Sam