MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old December 25th, 2001, 01:33 PM

Unhappy PlexWriter 8/8/24U-Microstudio Prob?

I have the external PlexWriter 8/8/24U (PX-S88TU) and Microstudio 2.312. I get the following message under
the Custom Assembly tab when I try the Test CD or Write CD
button:
Error:'write' command failure on device 1:0:0
illegal command request (04h 00h 02h 05h 2Ch 03h)

Wasn't sure if this was going to help but I upgraded
the ASPI drivers, I removed DirectCD program, I double-checked
my CDs for auto-insert notifications, dma, sync transfer...
and still get that error message.

What now?

Thanks

Last edited by stridergrey; December 26th, 2001 at 03:45 AM.
Old December 25th, 2001, 02:28 PM

do you have DirectX 8.0 or better? To check click start,run and type in dxdiag and enter. Should tell on the first page what version of DIRECTX is on your system. If Not 8X or better you can download it free at Microsoft website. This may not be the answer to your problem, but would add another possiblity to eliminate.
Noticed also you didn't mention screen saver. Must be off.

take care,

George
Old December 26th, 2001, 03:43 AM

Yes, I did check for DirectX 8.0 and it is installed. Screen saver I did not think about; would that affect it? I get this error message 5 seconds after I hit the Write or Test button and not 5 minutes into it as when the screen saver would time itself on. ??

Thanks
Old December 26th, 2001, 09:20 AM

I don't know if the screen saver would be the cause if this problem, probably not,but having screen saver turned off is necessary to prevent problems when burning cdg's, so I thought you may as well do it now. Should have explained that more clearly. Sorry I couldn't offer more help....anybody else ???

Take care,

George
Old December 27th, 2001, 06:00 AM

Plextor 8/8/24 external

I think you have dicovered a problem. I have the same burner, only USB1.1, but Microstudio 2.314. I have successfully duplicated whole discs, but have encountered errors every time (10) I have tried to Custom Assemble. Note: I get a different error - Read/Write error or bad medium detected (04h 00h 02h 03h 02h 00h). The error always occurs while writing track 16. Its time MTU gets involved.
Old December 27th, 2001, 09:30 AM

Patience guys, Admin. usually doesn't come forward until they've had a chance to research the problem and offer solutions. Add to that we're just coming out of an extra long weekend for many.Sure you'll get some professional help soon.

Take care,

George
Old December 28th, 2001, 11:40 AM

Tom, just curious as to the brand CDG's you're experiencing the consistant crash on track 16. Is all over the lot, or one particular brand ? Seems kinda strange.

Take care,

George
Old December 28th, 2001, 02:57 PM

The problem is that your Computer is not allowing your to write fast enough when you get the error message "Write command failed on device X:X:X Bad Medium Detected". This error means that the data is not getting to the drive fast enough. Using USB 1.1 uses alot of resources in the computer to transfer data to the USB drive, so you may not beable to get the 4x write speed. Make sure that you are using Version 2.314 and that under the Drives menu, you have a check next to "Enable Burn Proof". This will allow the drive to being more forgiving, by turning the laser on and off as it runs out of data. The other thing you could do to get the full speed of the drive is purchase a USB 2.0 card to go in the computer. You can purchase one from www.orangemicro.com.

I personally bought the Plextor PS-88TU drive and Orange Mciro's USB 2.0 PCMCIA card for my laptop, and it works great giving perfect results everytime at 8x.
Old December 29th, 2001, 05:41 AM

George, I only have Mitsui Silver and the problem only occurs when trying to Custom Assemble. The same batch works fine during Duplicate Disk.

Tom
Old December 29th, 2001, 05:44 AM

Bryan,

Could the size of RAM have anything to do with it as well? I have 128k.

Tom
Old December 29th, 2001, 08:11 AM

I wasn't thinking of the media you're writing to, but the brand of cdg you're copying, and does this happen on several different discs. Sure seems strange that it is happening on the 16th track regularly.

Take care,
George
Old December 29th, 2001, 09:55 AM

George,

All my tries were on the same assembly (except when I eliminated track 16). I tried different speed combinations (both read & write) to see if any worked. The assembly had tracks from Sweet Georgia Brown, Chartbusters & Top Hits. Another thing I noticed - when I exit Microstudio the computer thinks (appears to be hung) for at least 15 seconds. In fact becomes hung if I do not wait it out. Probably Bryan is correct about suggesting USB2. I had already restricted reads to 4 and writes to 2 (takes the better part of an hour to copy one disk).
Old January 2nd, 2002, 01:21 PM

Tom,
On Two systems that I have used the drive on, I have 192mb of Ram in one and 64mb in the other, with it working great on both systems. The 64mb system is slow in general because of lack of memory.

Do you have version 2.312 or do you have Microstudio 2.314? You can find this out under the help menu, under About Microstudio. You should have 2.314 to run the USB drive.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 02:44 PM

Bryan,

I have the latest 2.314. Also, I upgreaded my memory to 192K just 10 minutes ago.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 03:40 PM

Did this solve your problem?
Old January 4th, 2002, 11:47 AM

Bryan,

Sorry to be so long in reply... No chance to try...

Was able to complete Custom Assembly with extra RAM; however I have to re-boot after every copy to avoid "out of Resources to iniciate APCI manager error".

In any event, I got tired of waiting for slow reads and writes, so ordered USB 2.0 from OrangeMicro yesterday.

Tom