MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM
VIP

Wireless video receivers

Couldn't find the thread but a few weeks/months ago someone spoke of using a wireless video receiver; I believe it was a grand tec ultimate brand.

Which of you have tried wireless vieo receivers to your distant TV screens and what success have you had?

Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
VIP

Re: Wireless video receivers

I used a setup called The Rabbit years ago, long gone now, but found that that particular system needs a direct line of site (even though it claimed not to). So if it was low enough where people would be walking/dancing/etc in front of it, there would be interference on any of the screens which the receiver was connected to. Just had to make sure both the transmitter & receivers were above the people heads & it worked fine.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Couldn't find the thread but a few weeks/months ago someone spoke of using a wireless video receiver; I believe it was a grand tec ultimate brand.

Which of you have tried wireless vieo receivers to your distant TV screens and what success have you had?
Saw this at www.x10.com don't know anything about it
muzicman144
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:27 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
Saw this at www.x10.com don't know anything about it
muzicman144
I ordered one of these last year & tried everything at home to get it to work. After talking with them by phone, they tell me it won't work where there is "wireless internet" (we have a wireless router for our home network), as the signals interfere with each other. They don't tell you this ahead of time. So, since it is useless at home, I figured it might not work good on the job, as you never know if there is any other wireless connections nearby. So, unless they have figured out how to have more than 1 wireless connection running at the same time, I wouldn't try it again.

I do know of someone who used one at one of their Shows & there was intermittent signal loss throughout the evening.
Old March 24th, 2010, 03:06 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird74 View Post
I ordered one of these last year & tried everything at home to get it to work. After talking with them by phone, they tell me it won't work where there is "wireless internet" (we have a wireless router for our home network), as the signals interfere with each other. They don't tell you this ahead of time. So, since it is useless at home, I figured it might not work good on the job, as you never know if there is any other wireless connections nearby. So, unless they have figured out how to have more than 1 wireless connection running at the same time, I wouldn't try it again.

I do know of someone who used one at one of their Shows & there was intermittent signal loss throughout the evening.
Thanx Sky, that;s what I figured. But sheesh, there is wireless something everywhere, microwavess, cell phones, etc. etc., and I've heard that all these things render it useless, including ppl standing in between receiver and transmitter. I'm gonna try to get a return authorization from the seller.

Old March 24th, 2010, 03:44 PM
VIP

Quote:
Thanx Sky, that;s what I figured. But sheesh, there is wireless something everywhere, microwavess, cell phones, etc. etc., and I've heard that all these things render it useless, including ppl standing in between receiver and transmitter. I'm gonna try to get a return authorization from the seller.
They definitely should tell you that other "wireless" can interfere with the signal & cause it to not work. Maybe they figure since it's so cheap, that it will work in some places & worth keeping They did take it back & give me my money back, so that's good. Hope they will for you also.
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

The only other thing that should interfere is wireless network and unless the establishment is the one with wireless network then any outside ones should not interfere.
Lonman did say he had to put the transmitter and receivers up high to get over people as they are line of sight, meaning bodies will interfere with the signal.
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:28 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
The only other thing that should interfere is wireless network and unless the establishment is the one with wireless network then any outside ones should not interfere.
Lonman did say he had to put the transmitter and receivers up high to get over people as they are line of sight, meaning bodies will interfere with the signal.
Unfortunately, some of the Clubs have wireless networks with their computers also. My friend who used it at the Eagles, had it set up "in line of site" so that nothing interferred, but still there was occasional intermittent signal loss. So, I just wouldn't want to rely on it, since you never know what anyone has turned on at any given time. I'll stick to the old-fashioned wiring - less to worry about
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:36 PM
VIP

Quote:
I agree Dale, but there was nothing wireless in my home, and as soon as I got 10 feet away in my living room (it was advertised as a product that could be used to watch TV, internet, games, etc. from any room in the house) it was practically useless.

Old March 24th, 2010, 08:17 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird74 View Post
Unfortunately, some of the Clubs have wireless networks with their computers also. My friend who used it at the Eagles, had it set up "in line of site" so that nothing interferred, but still there was occasional intermittent signal loss. So, I just wouldn't want to rely on it, since you never know what anyone has turned on at any given time. I'll stick to the old-fashioned wiring - less to worry about
Skybird is correct, there is some intermittent interference once in a while, and the microwave oven in the gig that I use mine in, will cause havoc while in operation, and I set up mine in a lower location and at the beginning when I change from satellite to Karaoke, the bodies mingling around the pool table will cause some breakup of the signal, but it gets better/stronger as the night/show progresses. I use the x-10 as a work around for a second display on a larger flatscreen about 40 ft away from my station. This gig is in a small sportsbar that is wall to wall singers, no stage, so the more displays that I can create, the better. If you remember, it was because the owner wouldn't allow me to do any additional wiring, because he leases, and anything that he installs permanently, will stay with the building if and when he vacates. I'm sure that once the show is a little more established, that I will be able to sell him on a permanent solution. For the time being, it suits my purpose to use the wireless sender/receiver, and the crowd puts up with the intermittent signal loss...

P.S. Also make sure that the sending unit is on the computer, and the receiving unit is on the TV... easy to switch around, as they are similar looking!

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A

Last edited by RIKKI TIKKI; March 24th, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:27 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKI TIKKI View Post
Skybird is correct, there is some intermittent interference once in a while, and the microwave oven in the gig that I use mine in, will cause havoc while in operation, and I set up mine in a lower location and at the beginning when I change from satellite to Karaoke, the bodies mingling around the pool table will cause some breakup of the signal, but it gets better/stronger as the night/show progresses. I use the x-10 as a work around for a second display on a larger flatscreen about 40 ft away from my station. This gig is in a small sportsbar that is wall to wall singers, no stage, so the more displays that I can create, the better. If you remember, it was because the owner wouldn't allow me to do any additional wiring, because he leases, and anything that he installs permanently, will stay with the building if and when he vacates. I'm sure that once the show is a little more established, that I will be able to sell him on a permanent solution. For the time being, it suits my purpose to use the wireless sender/receiver, and the crowd puts up with the intermittent signal loss...

P.S. Also make sure that the sending unit is on the computer, and the receiving unit is on the TV... easy to switch around, as they are similar looking!
I guess that's my whole point. At some point; anywhere you are, especially in any public place in any city/town, etc. there is going to be some interference from some source,even if it is a wireless network across the street passing thru or whatever, pretty much renders these things useless if you are looking for some clarity for lyrics, ads, slide shows, and nice clear videos. Why show the audience a semi-pro look after we've spent all this money and time on professional equipment. The last place to scrimp is the final output, what the people see. I don't want them blinking there eyes all night (or at any time during the night) on wavy lines cutting through what should be a clear product.

Old March 25th, 2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I guess that's my whole point. At some point; anywhere you are, especially in any public place in any city/town, etc. there is going to be some interference from some source,even if it is a wireless network across the street passing thru or whatever, pretty much renders these things useless if you are looking for some clarity for lyrics, ads, slide shows, and nice clear videos. Why show the audience a semi-pro look after we've spent all this money and time on professional equipment. The last place to scrimp is the final output, what the people see. I don't want them blinking there eyes all night (or at any time during the night) on wavy lines cutting through what should be a clear product.
This is what seprates the pro from the fly by night. Never cut a corner in the finished product. The pro that does that never has to worry about the "pirate", although i know some pretty pro pirates. Not all "pirates" are imitators, or wannabees, some are just as good or better than the "honest" Kj. There are some high dollar wireless systems that do really work and i suspect $2-300 will do the trick.
muzicman144
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:49 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
This is what seprates the pro from the fly by night. Never cut a corner in the finished product. The pro that does that never has to worry about the "pirate", although i know some pretty pro pirates. Not all "pirates" are imitators, or wannabees, some are just as good or better than the "honest" Kj. There are some high dollar wireless systems that do really work and i suspect $2-300 will do the trick.
muzicman144
I think I saw a radio shack one at a guy's gig once, but didn't stay to see the show. He was one of those pro pirates too. I checked radio shack and it was 349 dollars. maybe that one actually worked.

Old March 25th, 2010, 02:55 PM
VIP

Quote:
I think I saw a radio shack one at a guy's gig once, but didn't stay to see the show. He was one of those pro pirates too. I checked radio shack and it was 349 dollars. maybe that one actually worked.
Originally, I bought this product (X-10) for my home use, to connect a TV in another room. I figured for $50 I couldn't get hurt too bad, so I used it and didn't think spending $3-400 more would be worth it, for what I was trying to do...

The Karaoke gig that I now use it in, has strained the application of the X-10 to its limit, and I am currently waiting for the owners to give me the go ahead to have the place rewired the correct way... ( but because of a divorce situation between the owner's ) I'll have to wait a month or so, in order to have the set up, that I have recommended all along... between the owners and the landlord, when they re-sign the lease on the property, I'll probably be the one that is still there... and it will benefit all of us, to get the wiring right this time...

You can't get a malibu to perform like a corvette, so buy the corvette if your pockets are deep! If you trully need a wireless video transmitter, then buy the corvette, not the malibu!

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

Old March 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKI TIKKI View Post
Originally, I bought this product (X-10) for my home use, to connect a TV in another room. I figured for $50 I couldn't get hurt too bad, so I used it and didn't think spending $3-400 more would be worth it, for what I was trying to do...

The Karaoke gig that I now use it in, has strained the application of the X-10 to its limit, and I am currently waiting for the owners to give me the go ahead to have the place rewired the correct way... ( but because of a divorce situation between the owner's ) I'll have to wait a month or so, in order to have the set up, that I have recommended all along... between the owners and the landlord, when they re-sign the lease on the property, I'll probably be the one that is still there... and it will benefit all of us, to get the wiring right this time...

You can't get a malibu to perform like a corvette, so buy the corvette if your pockets are deep! If you trully need a wireless video transmitter, then buy the corvette, not the malibu!

The Karaoke gig that I now use it in, has strained the application of the X-10 to its limit,

Whattya mean by this, Rikki?

Old March 26th, 2010, 09:03 AM
VIP

Quote:
The Karaoke gig that I now use it in, has strained the application of the X-10 to its limit,

I just wonder if the radio shack one works like a charm. I would expect it to work just like having it wired up, or I wouldn't wanna bother to use it at all.

Old March 26th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Since these are analog transmitters/receivers I am wondering if they are in the same situation as the wireless microphones in that the old TV band has been turned over to emergency response use? I had to replace my Microphones because of that. The cutover time is June 2010.
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:33 PM
VIP

Quote:
Since these are analog transmitters/receivers I am wondering if they are in the same situation as the wireless microphones in that the old TV band has been turned over to emergency response use? I had to replace my Microphones because of that. The cutover time is June 2010.

Yup, the frequency was 2,4 gHz, which is on the upper end of the 700mHz to 2400 mHz that a lot of those interference items are on. I think the really good ones are 5 gHz.

Old March 26th, 2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:

i wouldn't buy anything from Radio shack, they're only good for emergencies in my opinion, i know some of you guys do karaoke for a living and wanted to make your show the best of the best, but i wouldn't spend that much money, i would rather use a regular rca/s-video or lcd tv /monitor or vga for that matter,for singers preview screen, less hassle, less problem. the place i work at, i use my regular 19" monitor and a 42" lcd tv that is mounted on a wall and my cables are all hidden above the ceiling..i think those transmitter works like a router, if you have walls, all over, in these case people all over the bar, then you'll get those interferance.but no , i wouldn't spend $300-400 .
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:41 PM
VIP

Quote:

It's just that the ideal set up for the X-10 ( If It Has One! ) would be having the receiver and sending unit up high, with a straight line of sight, as previously mentioned... at this gig, I set it up about 5 ft off the ground, with a pool table in between, so sometimes a moving pool player will cause it to glitch, but not always, and it seems to be worse the first hour of the show, and that has me perplexed a little. Also they have a microwave oven that is in the next room, and a bartender will forget and use it to make popcorn, or heat up their dinner, and the reception will go haywire to the 2nd monitor. The distance is probably 40 to 50 ft away, and I think that may be the fringe of its limitation for broadcasting. It's just a work around or temporary fix, until I can get it permanently hardwired, even if it comes out of my pocket, which I doubt will be necessary, since the show has picked up steadily since I took it over 4 months ago... I've only tried the wireless receiver for about 2 months, after some of the regulars were asking for a larger monitor ( Older clientele mostly...) Also if the owners were not fighting through a possible divorce, I would not be stalling, and would negotiate a little more strongly... I'm just biding my time for another 30 days or so, with this gig... and like I said the clients/regulars understand it's a temporary fix, to get a 2nd monitor to view... believe me, I want to get it resolved quickly also, I hate putting out an inferior product... whether it be the speakers, microphones, monitors, etc., etc.

It's also one of my favorite watering holes, and would like to see the TV's all hardwired and individually controled... right now the outside TV's on the patio (4 ) are daisy chained to one inside, so it's one channel at a time... and the nights are getting nicer, and the outside gives me more room for more potential Karaoke singers, if all are available to me. Right now it's just the smokers that use the outside for a puff or two, because the nights have been a little too cold for anyone to sit outside, other than the Karaoke haters...lol