MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old December 5th, 2019, 10:28 PM

MP4 Video files don\'t play on external display

I just setup a new laptop, installed the latest nvidia drivers, all windows updates, and the latest recommended video codecs, when I play any video files the audio will play fine but no video plays, if i drag the screen to my laptop screen and not external display they seem to play fine. I can play the same files from the same location fine on external displays in media player classic, vlc or windows media player with no issues.
Old December 6th, 2019, 06:49 AM
VIP

Re: MP4 Video files don\\\'t play on external display

Quote:
Originally Posted by datkinson82 View Post
I just setup a new laptop, installed the latest nvidia drivers, all windows updates, and the latest recommended video codecs, when I play any video files the audio will play fine but no video plays, if i drag the screen to my laptop screen and not external display they seem to play fine. I can play the same files from the same location fine on external displays in media player classic, vlc or windows media player with no issues.
You may want to try to go into the codecs setup and make sure all the videos types are selected. I don\'t think the default selects MP4. I have to do this once in a while when they update the codecs.

Toshiba Qosmio Laptop; Windows 10, Intel I7, 32GB Ram, Graphics: 3GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M
With Optimus Technology, Optical Drive: Blue-ray Disc Rewriteable (BD-RE) / DVD SuperMultic Drive, Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 2x2 AC Plus Bluetooth 4.0, LED Backlit Keyboard, 512 GB Samsung Solid State Drive and 4.0 TB and 1.5 TB Hard Drives, 4 USB 3.0 Ports. Breakaway Audio Enhancer

Toshiba Satellite Laptop; Windows 10, Intel I7, 6GB Ram, Intel HD Graphics 3000, 256 GB Solid State Drive, Breakaway Audio Enhancer. 3 TB External WD Caviar Green Hard Drive.
Old December 6th, 2019, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Re: MP4 Video files don’t play on external display

Is this a new Windows 10 laptop or an upgraded one ?

Did you install the latest video drivers because of this problem ?

When you say you installed the “latest recommended video codecs” did you install the K-lite Mega pac ?

When you start a video playing do you see an icon on the taskbar for something like Lav or FDshow it might be hidden under the up arrow which shows the hidden apps ?

If so what icons appear ?

What you can try:
Left click on the windows icon bottom left of taskbar then all apps and scroll down to K-Lite codec pac, expand that and select codec tweak tool. At the top of the dialog you should see “Fixes” open that and select the first four tick boxes, then apply and close.
Try your videos again see if this fixes the problem.
If still no luck re open the tweak tool this time select “Prefered decoders” under that press “Reset” you should see another box asking “Click Yes for windows default. Click No to reset to our recommended settings” select NO.

See how you get on with that.

If problem persists try adding a screen shot of your preferred codecs dialog.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old December 6th, 2019, 04:46 PM

Re: MP4 Video files don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t play on external display

Hey thank you guys so much for trying to help!
It looks like mp4 was selected my default for me
Laptop is a 2018 model Dell G3 i ordered refurbished from Dell outlet (i5 8300H 8gb ram Nvidia gtx1050ti)
I did all the updates when i got it on thursday including Nvidia drivers
Installed K-Lite mega Codec Pack 15.2.7 ( I also tried a few older version of this to see if it would make a difference)
When a video is playing in Hoster I see LAV Video Decoder and Lav Splitter in the taskbar

I tried the fixes, selected the first 4 boxes.
Also reset preferred decoders and selected no for recommended.

I realized videos play fine on my laptop screen, if I drag the hoster video
window halfway to an external monitor while it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s playing the video will freeze on the external screen but continue playing on my laptop screen.
If I start the video playing with the video windows on the external display
it will just show up and a blank scren and play audio.

I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve tried a few different HDMI cables and monitors/tvs but they all do the same thing.

Ive also tried playing video files directly from my desktop instead of external HD to see if it would make a difference but it didn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t.
Attached Images
File Type: png capture.PNG (119.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by datkinson82; December 6th, 2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old December 6th, 2019, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Your codec settings look correct to me.
I think the problem is with the graphics driver.

Does your graphics card allow selecting or deselecting accelerated graphics ?
If so deselect the accelerated graphics.

Did you try playing video before you updated to the latest nvidea drivers ?

If not I would try rolling back your n video drivers.
And see how that goes.

Did you update these drivers via Dell update or Nvidea own website. There may be different drivers to try on the Nvidea website.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old December 6th, 2019, 05:52 PM

I don\'t see an option for accelerated graphics but I\'m still looking
When i got the laptop I used the Nvidia drivers from windows update
and when the videos didn\'t play i updated to the latest from nvidia website. I don\'t have an option to roll back drivers it\'s grayed out but I\'m gonna try different versions I think.
Old December 6th, 2019, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Normally if you right click on the blank screen a selection window opens. Do you see NVidia control panel as an option ? if so selecting that will show options to switch if they are available, I have NVidia but not the same as yours but mine allows switching to Auto, Intergrated or Nvidea high performance.
Old December 6th, 2019, 06:21 PM

I think I found it under Manage 3d setting in Nvidia control panel. Global
settings (Auto Select, High Performance Nvidia Processor or Integrated Graphics) I tried all 3 settings but nothing changed. If nothing else I did
order a new NVME SSD that I\'ll get and install by Sunday so I plan to reinstall windows and start fresh anyway, maybe that will fix something.
Old December 6th, 2019, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Just a reminder if you do that remember to un install hoster while online first to free up your registration.
Sometimes when you reinstall Windows MTU thinks you are installing on more than one computer.

Just one other thought what is your laptop screen resolution set at compared to your monitor ?
Not that I have experienced any problem if they are different but you never know.
Old December 6th, 2019, 08:32 PM

Re: MP4 Video files don\\\\\\\'t play on external display

Thanks yeah I will do that.
While testing it at home and trying to fix it today, the laptop
and extra monitor were at 1920x1080, at shows I keep the external
tvs at 1280x720 usually.