MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 5th, 2004, 10:15 AM

Red face Video out

I am considering going to a computer version of karaoke using the hoster software. I have been hosting for 2 1/2 years now. Currently my disc player has a rca video out to my mixer/amp and the amp has three rca video outs to three different tv screens. My question is will i be able to run a video out from my computer video card to my amp and still have the ability to go to three TV screens. I know the video card has to be a dual video card.

Thanks for the help.
Old December 5th, 2004, 07:44 PM

Re: Video out

The way I have things set at the moment is I run an s-video out to a Radio Shack RF box, then use standard cable out from the RF box (for bar TV's or whatever), then use the rca outputs on the RF box to my singers display.

When I was playing in Pittsburgh, most of the bar TV's didn't have RCA inputs (cheapest brands sold at wal-mart). Using the coax output, I could plug in a splitter and have the outputs I needed.
Old December 5th, 2004, 08:26 PM

Yeah my amp has a rca in and then it has three rca outs to go to each TV. WHat I am wanting to know is will this still work coming from the computer instead of my vocopro player.
Old December 5th, 2004, 08:56 PM

To the best of my knowledge, you will still need the RF box (think mine was like $30). Just run from the video card to the RF box, then out to the amp ...
Old December 7th, 2004, 07:17 PM

Isn't there any way to avoid using the RF modulator? I used to have to use one years ago when my tv monitor didn't have RCA video inputs, and I could never get more than 6 months out of one. I only used the Radio Shack ones, and they just couldn't withstand the constant plugging and unplugging. I have heard that Soundblaster makes an external video card with RCA outputs, but would I STILL need the RF modulator?
Old December 7th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Blocked From MTU.Community

blastenfrog
video card has a rca out and or svideo you can use thre rca out the same way you did for your player
the only reason you need an rf modulator is if the tv you want to use does not have rca video in
hope this helps
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Blastenfrog,

The only reason you would need to use an RF modulator is in the event you need to do one of the following:
1. Hook up multiple TV's to a single video out cable, i.e. you need the RF to convert the signal from RCA or Svideo to coaxial then run through a splitter.
2. You have an Svideo output on your video card and no svideo input on TV.

Anything beyond this usually can be worked on to avoid the RF. There are also connectors that will convert the Svideo signal to RCA in a single wire (no power supply needed) but I am not sure of the video quality once converted. They sell these at radio shack as well.

[u]AMPS:[/U]
Hooking the computer up to your amp: I may be a little confused here, as you mention 3 RCA outs to your tv's. Does this vocopro amp have a video switch built in to bypass the RF modulator or video switch? If so then you should definitely be able to use that just as you are now.

Your sound will run out of the computer via the 1/8" jack, 1/4" jack, or RCA out jack depending on the type of sound card you have installed or built on to your computer. These can all be converted to one another with a simple cable from radio shack again.

It looks like everyone's advice has surely led up to several possibilities and I hope that what I have now added just sugar coats it. If you have any additional questions you are more than welcome to ask them here, or you may call me personally on x201 (find full number on home page).

Regards,

Doug Cox
MTU
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:56 AM

Radio Shack also sells a 4-way A/V Distribution Amplifier box that takes RCA or S-Video in and allows you to split out to several TVs using RCA or S-Video. (This is for someone who does not need to split out to a TV using coaxial.) I use this amplifier box and really like it. See the following website for information:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=15-1172

Also, in order to have less stress on the plug-ins of the unit, I buy small adapters that I leave in each slot I am using and plug my RCA cable in and out of those each time. This saves on the wear and tear of unit if you were to pull the plugs in and out of the unit every time. I also leave one of these adapters in the plug-in on my TV to save wear on that too. See the following website for the adapters I use:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=274-915

I prefer sticking with RCA myself and have only used coaxial a couple times when I had to use an old bar TV that only took coaxial. An RF Modulator would need to be used then.

Hope this helps some. I would love to hear others ideas on all of this.

Nitecat Karaoke
Old December 10th, 2004, 03:36 PM

Quote:
The only reason you would need to use an RF modulator is in the event you need to do one of the following:
1. Hook up multiple TV's to a single video out cable, i.e. you need the RF to convert the signal from RCA or Svideo to coaxial then run through a splitter.
2. You have an Svideo output on your video card and no svideo input on TV.
3. If, as in my case, you don't have RCA out from the video card.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:27 PM

I have used the RCA video out jack from my computer straight to my karaoke palyer, but when I tried it to the TV at the club I'm playing at, the video wouldn't display. So I'm trying a devise called "Leap Frog" I purchased at Circuit City. It commects to the computer and then to any video device using its own transmiter and receiver. I'll let you know how it works.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:43 PM

DJYale,

The last I knew Radio Shack carried an S-Video to RCA adapter for around $20.00.
My ATI Radeon card came with such an adapter.

If you don't have a Radio Shack handy you should be able to come up with one on line.

If you have an RCA video input on your t.v., that should be all you need.

George