MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old October 18th, 2004, 11:18 AM

Question Newbie to Computerize Karaoke songs

Hi,
I am not a KJ or anything but love sing Karaoke. I recently started import all my Karakoe songs into my laptop and hope I can play my Karaoke songs from computer. I do have my own Karaoke player that hooked up with my stereo and TV. What do I need in order to play my Kaaraoke songs from my computer and still be able to sing using my mic? My laptop is a regular IBM thinkPad 31 that does not have S-vidoe port. I run XP on my laptop.

If anyone can give me some idea how do I hook up my computer to my existing Karaoke system that will be great.
Old October 18th, 2004, 07:12 PM

Re: Newbie to Computerize Karaoke songs

You're really getting into the realm of Hoster.

I wrote most of this post thinking in terms of Microstudio since your setup sounded personal. If you just want to use your monitor to view and use your stereo, via your "Karaoke Player" you should be able to use Microstudio. If by "Karaoke Player" you are talking about a machine, I think you will have an input option where you can select sound coming from your computer. Your mikes should work normally and your output could go to a stereo.

MICROSTUDIO HAS A PLAYING PROBLEM HOWEVER. Microstudio will clip the endings off songs. This may seem random as it doesn't happen very often, but it is actually predictable and consistent based on the amount of runoff time a song has after the music stops. From what I hear, Hoster, does not have this playing problem.

That's a quick answer. Admittedly, I may have misinterpreted some of your facts and need clarification.
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:17 PM

CHATROBOT,

If you're talking a lot of tracks over a period of time, you well might want to consider Hoster, as Jahern suggested.

Imported to the hard drive through Microstudio, each CDG track is approximately 40 to 50 MG. per song. That's a lot of space. At that rate approx. 1.5 gigs for 30 tracks, or two average 15 track cdg's.

Hoster compresses to an average of 4 to 5 Mg. per song. That's around 200 tracks per gig.

That's a decision you're going to have to make, but one way or another you're probably looking at a further investment of a LARGER hard drive, or Hoster.

Just some more thoughts for you to consider.

Agree with Jahern, more info is needed regarding your equipment to be of much help.

Take care,

George
Old October 19th, 2004, 09:17 AM

Thank you folks to taking time anwer my question. I guess I did not make myself clear enough. I do have both Hoster and K4studio that includes Microstudio, vogone, keyrite. Right now I am using Hoster to import all my discs to hard drive as KMA format. I plan to use Hoster to play back from my computer. What I am wondering is that, without spending extra bucks, how can I hook up my laptop to my existing home karaoke system? My Karaoke system is a home entertainment version that consists of a Karaoke player, an amplifier, a TV and speakers. Since my laptop does not have S-video output I will not be able to hook up to TV directly. But I do have LCD monitor which I can hook up my laptop with. Since I run XP on my laptop I think I can use the virturl screen feature within XP to display lyric screen on LCD monitor and play list screen on my laptop screen. The question I have is how do I hook up my laptop with my sound system without buying additional hardware?

One simple thought is to use a Y cable that plug into the headset jack on my laptop and plug into my amplifer with the Y cable that has RCA connector. Then the question becomes how to I connect microphone in order to sing? Currently, the mic is connect to the Karaoke player. If I use computer as karaoke player then where do I plug in my mics? Not on my computer that is for sure. Not into my amplifier either as I do not think it will work either. I know that if I spend some bucks to get a USB audio interface and connect it to my laptop that might do the trick or if I go get a mixer or some sort. Then that means I have to spend more bucks which I would rather not. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old October 19th, 2004, 02:06 PM

Quote:
...If I use computer as karaoke player then where do I plug in my mics? Not on my computer that is for sure.

Actually, I am not sure that this option is not available. A typical sound card will allow simultaneous playback of Both the Microphone and Wave (or some other equivalent setting which governs Microstudio (and I imagine Hoster) I haven't tried this but I don't see why you could not use the Mic plugged into the computer, use your Y line from the sound card to a stereo and bypass any other Karaoke player that you have as long as you are using your monitor and not trying to power up the TV

Let me know what happens.

Sorry about the double-entry everybody I thought I was editing and must not have been paying attention!
Old October 19th, 2004, 02:12 PM

you need to get a mixer for the mics. No one should ever use the crappy mic inputs on a karaoke player.. they sound awful. Buy a mackie cfx or dfx mixer.. you'll love it. you can plug the laptop audio into it as well with a 1/8" stereo to 1/4" cable into one of the stereo channels.
Beta Test Machine: DELL Inspiron 1721 * Vista Home Premium SP1 * AMD Athlon 64 dual core tk-57 1.90MHz * DVD/CDR Drive * 250GB HDD * 3GB RAM.

Show Work PC: Windows XP Pro sp3 * Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz, 4MB * 2GB DDR2-667 RAM * 80GB HD (C: for OS & Apps) * 500GB HD * 250 GB HD * DVD Recorder (Sony ADW-Q170A) * M-Audio Delta 410 Audio * ATI RADEON X1600 Pro 512MB video.
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Buy a mackie cfx or dfx mixer.. you'll love it.

What brand are you talking about and how much are the mixers?
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:24 PM

The MACKIE dfx series runs under $300.00, the CFX Series (i have the CFX12) runs about $600.00 www.pssl.com
Beta Test Machine: DELL Inspiron 1721 * Vista Home Premium SP1 * AMD Athlon 64 dual core tk-57 1.90MHz * DVD/CDR Drive * 250GB HDD * 3GB RAM.

Show Work PC: Windows XP Pro sp3 * Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz, 4MB * 2GB DDR2-667 RAM * 80GB HD (C: for OS & Apps) * 500GB HD * 250 GB HD * DVD Recorder (Sony ADW-Q170A) * M-Audio Delta 410 Audio * ATI RADEON X1600 Pro 512MB video.
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Thanks guys. I end up buying a SoundBlaster MP3+ USD audio interface. this cost me $40. This device comes with the RCA input and output jacks which I can use to directly connect to my amplify and also comes with mic jack that I can plug my mic in. I think this will work for home entertainment purpose. I have not actually hook up to my stereo system yet. Will let you know what the outcome is. I know buying a mixer will definitely solve my problem but I am not sure if I am ready to spend $300 yet. Maybe later when I have more cash to spend I will upgrade.
Old October 19th, 2004, 05:54 PM

CHATROBOT,

When the time comes you may want to go to a mixer you might want to take a look at the Peavey RQ200 six channel Mini Console.

I use it in the home whenever I host our private Karaoke Club meetings There's seven of us, and my wife and I use cordless and the other 5 use mikes through the mixer. I manually mix the cordless mikes into the group with the gain controls on the cordless receiver. That leaves us a spare on the Peavey mixer for any guest somebody might want to invite.

Went in to all that so's you'd get an idea of what you can do with one should others get involved in singing with you down the road..

It sells for $199. At least that's what my local store sold it to me for, and they're not known for their generosity, so I guess that's the going price ...dunno.

Does everything we need on a non-commercial level.

Take care,

George
Old October 20th, 2004, 02:30 PM

Thank you George for the info. Where do you get your mixer? What kind of store you go? Perhaps I can check on line to see if I can find it.

By the way, I tried out MP3+ on my laptop and hook into stereo system. It works!!
Well, I have to admit this is the poor man version, but worth the experience. Now I can start thinking about more expensive stuff if I really want to go fancy.
Old October 20th, 2004, 03:38 PM

What matters is that you are enjoying what you are doing with whatever resourses you have.

I never try to keep up with the Jonses, I find it's much cheaper to drag them down to my level

Anyway, I got the mixer at a local music store. You know, the kind that carries instruments, amps, etc. and caters to musicians. I'd imagine it's available on line.

Have fun,

George
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:02 AM

hi, im new to pc karaoke too but i was wondering about the mackie speakers! I have peavys right now but i need something more compact cuzz i'm small, well 105 lbs and 5 foot tall and it is so hard to drag these things around. How do the mackie spearkers sound? I want something with a lot of power and have no distortion and good clear sound and good thump!
Old October 22nd, 2004, 10:49 AM

Hey LITTLEKJGIRL, how about JBL EON's (the non-powered
verions) They sounds great and only weight 38lb each
are very light and compact.

..just a though...
Old October 22nd, 2004, 12:50 PM

the mackies are great, but you should try the even better CARVin PM15A's. they are awesome. www.carvin.com

Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:30 PM

I use the JBL Eon's non-powered myself. Have four of them and they have a great warranty from JBL. I switched from Peavey's for the exact reason you are saying.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:37 PM

thanks everyone replying, I will check both speakers out.......cuzz one of these days im gonna get squished!
Old October 22nd, 2004, 07:56 PM
Honor Roll

Also check out Yorkville speakers, they have powered versions such as:

http://www.yorkville.com/products.as...&cat=22&id=257

weighing under 50 lbs... and great sound too!

Flip
  • Intel Core i7 920
  • 12Gb DDR3
  • nVidia GTX280M
  • 17" 1920x1200 screen + 24" 1920x1200 screen for lyrics
  • 512Gb SDD + Dual 500Gb HDD
Rackmount:
  • Win 7 Ult (64bit)
  • Intel Core i3-2105 3.1GHz Dual Core
  • 16Gb DDR3
  • Intel HD3000 Graphics
  • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1200 screen + 4 in-house flatscreens for lyrics
  • 500Gb Hybrid+SDD and 500Gb HDD
Old October 25th, 2004, 03:02 AM

What about the b52 set up in the prosound magazine i think there web site is pssl.com! Two tops and a bottom?
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:48 PM

The sky is the limit

In answer to chatrobot's ? It really depends on how much you want to spend.
Sounds like the interface will work, you can probably hook into your home stereo I know I have done that for years. Both playing disks and now using Hoster. I have a pioneer sx 780 receiver and hook my laptop into that for the music I also have a bookshelf Jvc karaoke system that I use for my microphones. In my basement for practice It sounds just fine.
For Kj'ing I have two different sound systems One is a Yamaha EMX 660, 600 watts at 4 ohms I use two peavey Black widow 12 in floor monitors for mains and Cgm 12 in floor monitors for singers. The other is a Peavey F 696 1200 watts at 4 ohms I use two Yamaha 15 in Mark IV series club speakers for Mains and Two Peavey Black widow 15 in floor monitors for singers. Both systems sound great. Lots of power and flexibility.
I can hook my Sony Vaio Laptop into any of the systems mentioned above and using hoster Have a great show or practice etc. You don't have to go overboard to have great sound. I'm a little compulsive and did not like having to cart the yamaha sound system to work with me and back home each time I use it. I do karaoke at my job for patients in the hospital I work at once a week. I use the peavey system for Karaoke Gigs away from work. I use the Pioneer receiver and 4 speakers along with the microphone set up described above to practice with. If I sound good on it then I sound really good when I use the two Pro audio systems. There is all kinds of different ways to go, "The Sky is The Limit". You just have to find what works best for You, and Have Fun.
John