MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: Do you move people ?
No I can't believe you even ask 6 16.67%
It has happend but never again 0 0%
Only on rare occasions 26 72.22%
I will if they tip me enough 4 11.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 13th, 2007, 08:23 PM

that makes sense to me. I tell them it counts as one of the singers songs and I call up one of them and make ask the other to help
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:35 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithent View Post

I'm sorry I'm kinda new here and I'm venting because I had a bad night. Jon

Monolith Entertainment
Just wondering, what determines (constitutes) a "bad night" for a karaoke host?

Maybe we can poll "bad night" things?

Old November 16th, 2007, 05:24 PM

Bad night answer

That might be something to turn into a new thread. But I hope this doesn't throw off the real topic of discussion.

Basically started with a drunk guy threatening me because I told his girlfriend not to put her beer over the top of my mixing board. Then she kept putting her hand on the board which moved some of my settings. I asked nicely once not to touch. I got a little more upset when she came back later and did the same thing again. At that point I moved her hand and told her that I would have her removed if she came over again. At this point is where her "boyfriend" decided he was going to escalate things.

Understand I'm 6-2 and about 210 as well as active duty military. I wasn't scared but I detest confrontation and it just kind of ruined my night.

I got a little bit of poetic justice when the pair was pulled over by local police within a block of the bar as I was leaving.

Average public does not understand how much money and work goes into a quality system and DJ/KJ show.

Bottom line, some people need to learn that they shouldn't mess with other people's things.

Jon
Old July 12th, 2008, 08:24 PM

Ok I guess I lied, because last night I moved someone for money.

It was one of the nights with a 60 person rotation. I new singer came up put his name in and ask me if 5 or 10 dollars whould get him up sooner. I said no and told him it would be a 30 mins until he sang. about an hour after he sang his song he asked if $50 would allow him to sing next. I told him no but I told him I would give him my spot which sould probably be at the end of the night. He persisted to ask me if he could get to sing next. Again I said no, then he laid $100 down and ask if he could sing next.
likie the saying goes "A fool and his money are quickly parted" I took the $100 and got him up next. Well I had a hard time getting to sleep cause I hate to do that to my regulars but $100 is alot of money to throw away on one song.

So let me ask this If someone came up and handed you $1000.00 whould you get them up next? If not is there a price you would? $5000.00
Old July 13th, 2008, 03:07 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
Ok I guess I lied, because last night I moved someone for money.

It was one of the nights with a 60 person rotation. I new singer came up put his name in and ask me if 5 or 10 dollars whould get him up sooner. I said no and told him it would be a 30 mins until he sang. about an hour after he sang his song he asked if $50 would allow him to sing next. I told him no but I told him I would give him my spot which sould probably be at the end of the night. He persisted to ask me if he could get to sing next. Again I said no, then he laid $100 down and ask if he could sing next.
likie the saying goes "A fool and his money are quickly parted" I took the $100 and got him up next. Well I had a hard time getting to sleep cause I hate to do that to my regulars but $100 is alot of money to throw away on one song.

So let me ask this If someone came up and handed you $1000.00 whould you get them up next? If not is there a price you would? $5000.00
You probably didn't hurt anybody's feeling that night. Where there were that many singers it is hard to imagine anyone keeping constant track of a 60 man rotation. This guy might come back, bring friends, hire you for his next three daughter's weddings, and on it goes. The bar made money as a result, and that is your real job to the bar owner as well. If that same guy offered the bartender a 100 dollar tip to get his drink right away, I bet he would get it out soon for him, and bar owner happy too.

Old July 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM
VIP

Everything is for sale, it's jsut a matter of whether the money offered is worth the headache it might create. If he was being bumped 5 or 6 people for $100 I'd probably take it but buy a drink for everyone that got bumped. If it were more people than that I probably wouldn't do it.
Now, $500 or $1000 would buy drinks for a lot more singers
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post
Everything is for sale, it's jsut a matter of whether the money offered is worth the headache it might create. If he was being bumped 5 or 6 people for $100 I'd probably take it but buy a drink for everyone that got bumped. If it were more people than that I probably wouldn't do it.
Now, $500 or $1000 would buy drinks for a lot more singers
I don't believe its worth it at all, in the long run. You still have to deal with the client you work for at night.
I wouldn't do it for 100 or 500 smackers. We still have to be conscious of the rest of the crowd. They really pay us, don't they...

If the person in question has to go to the restroom then ok, I make exceptions for that, I have been offered as high as 200 dollars, but I refused it.

To each his own. I just won't do it for money..
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old July 13th, 2008, 10:08 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
I don't believe its worth it at all, in the long run. You still have to deal with the client you work for at night.
I wouldn't do it for 100 or 500 smackers. We still have to be conscious of the rest of the crowd. They really pay us, don't they...

If the person in question has to go to the restroom then ok, I make exceptions for that, I have been offered as high as 200 dollars, but I refused it.

To each his own. I just won't do it for money..
That's why I would buy anyone who got bummped a drink.
If the singers that were bumped were mostly regulars who I know would wait an extra 4 minutes for a free drink, I would have no problem with it.
If they were strangers or people I know to be pissy, I might not. There's a number of variables involved.

Sam
Old July 15th, 2008, 08:20 AM

The old saying goes some thing like:

If it looks like a duck, moves lika a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's probably a duck...

One could safely surmise the same holds true for a bribe.

Erectile dysfunction treatment
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Honor Roll

Duets count for both singers.

In my shows, duets count as a song for both singers. The list is displayed on the screen and everyone knows the order of rotation. If I move anyone, I move them down the list, never up.
For example someone may be in the bathroom or on the phone when I call their name. I move them down one and call them after the next song. I do this three times. After the third time I move them to bottom of the list. Sometimes people will ask me to move them down because they are waiting on someone to show up. I occasionally get people coming in an hour before closing wanting me to let them sing next. I explain the rules and tell them to come in earlier next time. Most people are OK with that. For those that don’t like it, I tell them to go back to the bar where they have been spending money all night. Other than the few drunks I get no complaints about the rotation. I am often complemented for running a fair rotation.
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:35 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
The old saying goes some thing like:

If it looks like a duck, moves lika a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's probably a duck...

One could safely surmise
the same holds true for a bribe.
Not necessarily, as a bribe is a man-made word to help others convey a meaning of a number of actions related to such, and has also developed a number of connotations and interpretations over 100's of years across 100's of languages, but,

A duck is one word that specifically names a specific number of species that have a specific number of anatomical features, and is not truly subject to much interpretation at all.

Old July 16th, 2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Not necessarily, as a bribe is a man-made word to help others convey a meaning of a number of actions related to such, and has also developed a number of connotations and interpretations over 100's of years across 100's of languages, but,

A duck is one word that specifically names a specific number of species that have a specific number of anatomical features, and is not truly subject to much interpretation at all.
What you say would only be true if one were saying a bribe was a duck.

It's an analogy.

What it is saying is if it looks like a bribe and has all the earmarks of a bribe then it probably is a bribe.

Last edited by George; July 16th, 2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:33 PM
VIP

Quote:

What it is saying is if it looks like a bribe and has all the earmarks of a bribe then it probably is a bribe.
I understand the saying as being an analogy.

What I was saying that the above would easily and clearly apply to a duck, but could not to a word such as "bribe", because of all the connatations, interpretations, and language cross-overs with such a word that already contains to many variables to define properly.

Old July 16th, 2008, 02:08 PM

NEW WORLD DICTIONARY SECOND EDITION:

Bribe

"1. Anything, esp. money, given or promised to induce a person to do something illegal or wrong.

2. Anything given or promised to induce a person to do something against his wishes."

Looks clear cut to me, soi I'll reiterate.

If it looks like a bribe and has all the earmarks of a bribe then it probably is a bribe.

The analogy stands the test whether you think so or not.

Last edited by George; July 16th, 2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old July 16th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
NEW WORLD DICTIONARY SECOND EDITION:

Bribe

"1. Anything, esp. money, given or promised to induce a person to do something illegal or wrong.

The analogy stands whether you think so or not. I didn't see a need to spell it out in my first post. Seemed rather obvious.
You would assume that the person receiving the $$ thinks it is wrong. Me, personally, would never do that. It is integrity that is at question here. I find that always trying to be fair is an easy position to justify.
Old July 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I took the $100 and got him up next. Well I had a hard time getting to sleep cause I hate to do that to my regulars but $100 is alot of money to throw away on one song.
He did know it was wrong. Hey, anyone could have a weak moment.

Best thing he could do the next time that guy came in is hand him the $100 back. If not, it will go on and on, and probably for a lot less money.

Old July 17th, 2008, 08:36 PM

so you wouldn't take $1000 or even $5000 to move someone?
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:19 PM

i had that happened to myself , it was 10 minutes before we close and i had a singer singing the last song, when some guy walked in with i think was his girlfriend, and he came up to me and asked if he could sing , i told him that someone is doing the last song of the night and it's time to close,he left but came back with a drink & a $50.00 still i said no, he kinda looked disappointed, and added another $25. and said he just wanna impress the girl he's with, since most of my singers already left and only a bunch of my friends was in the bar and dont sing anyway, , i said ok..a week later he came back and asked me if he has to pay again, i kinda laughed and said if you put in a song slip and come in a little early before my regulars come in, he can sing as much as he want..he's been coming in early ever since , he buys me drinks now and then and he was put on rotation..
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
so you wouldn't take $1000 or even $5000 to move someone?

I fail to see what the amount has to do with compromising one's integrity, which as marklwood pointed out it is.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:44 PM

money talks! We Are All Doing this job to make money. I Don't think anyone would do this job for free. Yes it is a matter of integrity, but if someone offered you $1000 to be able to sing and you took it.
This isn't a mortal sin. I understand both points of view. I don't plan on making this a habit. The guy who paid me was the brother of a good regular and was visiting from out of town. This dosn't make it right, but its still not that wrong.
Closed Thread