MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old January 2nd, 2006, 02:21 PM

Unhappy is there a "Hoster for Dummies?

Ok I know nothing, that hasalready been established!
I have downloaded the free trial of Hoster in anticipation of learning and purchasing.

I do not have any cd+g's at all and am using the various audio files on my hard drive to experiment with.

When I select audio itopens a browse window to let me select a file to import, according top the help files (and windows conventions) I should be able (using the shift key) to highlight a group of filrs to import into the Hoster playlist. However when in the browse window if I highlite a file it immediately closes the window and adds the file, so in essence I am only able to add the files one at a time.

Any Ideas? or is this because I am using the free trial ?
Warmest regards
Glen
Old January 2nd, 2006, 02:42 PM

Hoster for dummies

Hello Glen,
Hoster is for basically transferring CDG's either whole or selected parts.
All other files, to my knowledge, are a one at a time process.
To get the best out of Hoster you will need to spend some cash on CDG's.
I think a lot of users would tell you that they already had a library that they played on a karaoke machine and transferred them onto a laptop, or in my case, a Shuttle, so they no longer carried the discs with them to a gig.
Regards from across the pond.
Garry
Old January 2nd, 2006, 03:17 PM

Red face Not according to the directions ;-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry A. Leslie
Hello Glen,
Hoster is for basically transferring CDG's either whole or selected parts.
All other files, to my knowledge, are a one at a time process.
To get the best out of Hoster you will need to spend some cash on CDG's.
I think a lot of users would tell you that they already had a library that they played on a karaoke machine and transferred them onto a laptop, or in my case, a Shuttle, so they no longer carried the discs with them to a gig.
Regards from across the pond.
Garry
Hi Gary

I understand what you are saying, but in the help files the heading import files from the hard drive it explains that it works with the windows standard conventions of highlight -shift hightlight

And the standard group highlite file conventions work everywhere else on my computer and in all my programs ...just not Hoster
Warmest regards
God save the Queen
Glen
Old January 2nd, 2006, 04:25 PM
Frequent Member

Sorry but you can only add 1 audio file at a time. highlight shift just moves to next file in list.
Hoster is a Karaoke program that lets you use audio files mainly for filler music.
after almost 2 yrs of use and trying out most of the others I found hoster
it is by far the best karaoke software on the market. bar none the rest are 3rd rate at best. most are for djs that are trying to do karaoke.
Hoster is for KJs. and the very best at what it does. Bob
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates
Old January 2nd, 2006, 06:49 PM

Question But the Hoster Gods say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcox
Sorry but you can only add 1 audio file at a time. highlight shift just moves to next file in list.
Hoster is a Karaoke program that lets you use audio files mainly for filler music.
after almost 2 yrs of use and trying out most of the others I found hoster
it is by far the best karaoke software on the market. bar none the rest are 3rd rate at best. most are for djs that are trying to do karaoke.
Hoster is for KJs. and the very best at what it does. Bob

Ok Ok OK ! I get it ! lol I know hoster is for Karaoke and my results at the end of the business day is to become a emcee. At present I have been scouring the web for equipment etc and I stumbled into Hoster. Now please understand I have just enough knowledge to be totally dangerous when it comes to equipment /software related to this industry. At present I do not own one single cd+g. So I have been playing with hoster using some of the mp3 files I have on my hard drive to get a "feel" so to speak

Now! when you click the audio button in Hoster it opens a browse window that you can navigate to the folder holding the files you wish to import. I offer the following cut and pasted from the Hoster Manual giving instructions for this feature:

The File Window shows the WMA and MP3 files in the selected folder. These are compressed audio-only songs that have no lyrics. These can be created by various programs (Windows Media Player for WMA files)or downloaded over the Internet. To use these in Hoster, move them to one or more folders (with or without sub-folders) on the hard drive(s).

To select a file, click it (background turns blue). To select contiguous files (1, 2, 3, 4, 5...), press Shift and click the first file, move the mouse and click the last file, then click Open. To select random files (8, 11, 15, 20...), press Ctrl and click each file to add to the Playlist. Files are placed in the Playlist in the order they are in the File Window.

The File name: field shows the names of the selected WMA and MP3 files.

The Files of Type: field is preset to only show .wma and .mp3 files. Any other files in the open folder will not appear.

Click Open to add the selected songs to the Playlist. Hoster automatically adds Audio Only for the Singer name. You can edit this name in the Playlist Singer's name Field. For example, you may enter "INTERMISSION" when you take a break. This appears in the Singer Names Display if enabled.

Click Cancel to close this dialog box.

Now what is it you were saying ? rofl

So once again I ask why won't my Hoster allow me to select multiple mp3 files to import? When I click the file the darn window closes and it puts the file in the play list lol
Warm regards
Glen
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:48 AM
VIP

Quote:
To select a file, click it (background turns blue). To select contiguous files (1, 2, 3, 4, 5...), press Shift and click the first file, move the mouse and click the last file, then click Open. To select random files (8, 11, 15, 20...), press Ctrl and click each file to add to the Playlist. Files are placed in the Playlist in the order they are in the File Window.
You are absolutely correct. The manual does indead say that. Unfortunately the manual is incorrect on this point. I know Admin spends a lot of time updating the manual for every upgrade and often times for every beta, multiply that times five products and you can bet something will slip through the cracks. This is one of those things
I'll post something in the beta forum so this can be corrected.

Sam
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Talking Yes there is a Hoster for Dummies, Just Not all Dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike
You are absolutely correct. The manual does indead say that. Unfortunately the manual is incorrect on this point. I know Admin spends a lot of time updating the manual for every upgrade and often times for every beta, multiply that times five products and you can bet something will slip through the cracks. This is one of those things
I'll post something in the beta forum so this can be corrected.

Sam
Well Sam it appears we are Both Correct! With my just becoming interested in Karoke, I failed to realize that you folks add songs to your playlist one at a time for your respective singers, which is also what I would do during a Karaoke presentation. However, going one step further....I have about 30 or so playlists each one about 90 minutes in length, and these are just mp3 files, no karaoke. Each of these in the hoster program could be set with certain intervals between songs, to allow for "working the audience" So I thought wow I can set up shows for the nursing homes and just click it to start and let it run! But alas ! It don't follow the complete convention of the windows application. One at a time LOL so Hopefully the powers that be will put in the full windows convention

Thank you and everyone else for all the input
I now return you to your allocated place in the rotation
Warmest regards
Glen
Old January 6th, 2006, 07:40 PM
VIP

You can make up playlists and save them. Just set Hoster to keep songs after they are played and your playlist will never change - Unless of course you add or subtract something.

You can adjust the interval between songs but not on an individual song basis, the interval would effect all songs untill you changed it.
Quote:
But alas ! It don't follow the complete convention of the windows application. One at a time LOL so Hopefully the powers that be will put in the full windows convention
You can post something in the new feature requst forum, requesting this, MTU generally pays attention to these if there's enough interest from other forum members.

Sam
Old January 7th, 2006, 01:21 PM

If you only want to play MP3 files you can just load them into a playlist on Windows media player.
I set one up before going to bed and its still playing in the morning.
Regards from across the pond
Garry