MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old July 15th, 2002, 08:03 PM

Angry Clipping Songs Addressed??????

I love MTU but you have not responded to me about a problem that I have noticed for a long time. I don't see any assurance that MTU is acknowledging the fact that on some discs, probably those recorded without much lead time at the end, the player in microstudio still clips songs short. (Yes, the music)

I assume that that is an issue being resolved in the new player and Hoster Code. Is it??

I hope that I haven't violated any rules about displaying panic and frustration. I am really happy with the work I have been able to do with your products. But fellas, there is about 5 seconds that gets eaten. Are you going to fix it?

I just wanted to remind you in case you weren't addressing it. (You make no mention of it in the section of your site that talks about upcoming upgrades.)
Old July 15th, 2002, 08:11 PM

"clipping" defined

I see that another user uses the word "clipping" different from my context. I mean that the song stops playing before it is over. When microstudio does this, it only cuts off the final chord or so. I believe that all songs are probably "clipped" but usually the manufacturer shows their Logo at the end even when the music is long gone. Therefore no loss is percieved. Just try losing the final chord resolution and not percieving it.
Old July 16th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Not a common problem, but will address

First, I'm not aware that this is a general problem being reported. Thus, we will try to identify if it is or not.

Second, we have the new Player code finished. I just sent our programmer an email to meet this week on integrating it into Microstudio 2.316, along with a new ASPI driver for USB drives that we have bought. I'm hoping the new 2.316 will not take too long to code, beta test and release. The MANUAL changes might take longer to do the code upgrades!

I think the first thing to do is get 2.316 ready for Beta Testing. I have made you a beta tester for this, so you will automatically get the new upgrade. Then, you can try it.
Old July 16th, 2002, 11:06 AM

Question Clipping?

Have been using MicroStudio for about a month now. Great product. Anxious to get Hoster. Have not experienced anything close to what some are calling "clipping." Every bit of the song copies. Keep up the good work MTU!

Kelly
Old July 16th, 2002, 07:11 PM

I think you already agreed it was a problem

Reply to Kedmison
I didn't say that the Program did not copy the songs. I said that the player on at least the first issues of the Brand "MultiKaraoke" will stop the song short when it is playing the song. This happens even on the original discs. (amazing but true)

Reply to Admin.
I look forward to testing the beta version and I am very hopeful that the issue has been resolved. If not, I will let you know (con mucho amor en mi corazon!!)

If it does any good, I think you already were in agreement that a problem existed.

In June 2001 you wrote:

(quote)
(2 comments inserted)
We did receive the discs ((1) that I sent) and have spent several hours reviewing them. At present, we have not identified what is happening. Given the hectic pace we have been working to get Microstudio out, and fixing known bugs and upgrades, we did not have time to further research what is happening with your discs.

Once we get through this crunch, we will look at them again. Corbin also sent us some Nutech songs that really have some wierd RW coding. We got deep into that also, but did not have time to evolve what to do with Microstudio's player. Both of these discs will take many hours to evaluate, which we will do.

We have rewritten much of our player code, and have not had time to run your discs through it again. It is possible that we have fixed the problem... or not. We are expecting to release 2.310 to the public probably on Friday 06/23. Then you can test it.

We will be doing a total rewrite of our player later this summer into the Fall. I expect that upgrade((2) not a different computer) will play yours and Corbin's discs.
(end quote)
Old July 17th, 2002, 10:28 AM

Jahern,
I have never had any other client tell me of this problem. This is the first that we have heard of this. If you can send us a copy of this MulitKaraoke disc, then we can try to test it.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 04:33 AM

Dear "admin"
I didn't know "clipping was common either till i read this post , but i do have several songs that quit early " just like i hit the escape key" i figured i recorded too quick or had a faulty disc, but now i wonder. lol Not a big problem except the shocked looks from the singers " like i put out the old HOOK and cut em off early lol. thank you for the post .
Old September 3rd, 2002, 10:33 AM

This problem was found to be related to this actual disc. I am awaiting a new version of the Play code for Microstudio, so that I can try this again to see if our new player fixes this problem.
Old September 4th, 2002, 01:40 PM

Not "This Disc" only

It would be a mistake to assume that the disc I sent to you is the only disc that "has" this clipping problem. Admittedly most of the instances of this problem for me occur in the first Karaoke attempts by this brand "Multikaraoke"

However, I purchased a 16 cdg karaoke starter kit called "Supercore" and several of those songs clip as well.

I have always alluded to the run-off space at the end of the songs as a predictor on whether Microstudio would clip the music. I believe that Microstudio clips ALL songs. ALL SONGS. It just clips the MUSIC when the music is not followed by a lengthy logo display. As evidence of my bold statement, I have created 5 second khp files of nothing and spliced it to these files. When I have done this, Microstudio has had no problem playing all of the music.

I repeat. I did not create a khp version of the entire song. I used the original extracted file, spliced a 5 second file of nothing at the end, and Microstudio played the whole song without clipping the music. (Even though this 5 second file was created by KHP, I could not play it with microstudio player)

I don't believe that there is some code in these discs that is different, (like with Nikoddo). It is just a matter of the after music run-off at the end of the songs.

While stating the obvious, I am not a programming expert. But what if the logic of Microstudio player is something like this:

"Get the next 5 seconds (or so many megabytes) and get it ready to play

Play the 5 seconds that were processed.

If the rest of the file is 5 seconds or more, repeat
If not, quit"

Nobody would notice if they missed a few seconds of the company logo. Missing the music is another story

I would be happy to reproduce and send to you my extracted files with some empty time spliced at the end to prove to you that Microstudio has no problem playing these files if the run-off time is sufficient.

(I've used 5 seconds only as a ball park reference point)
Old September 4th, 2002, 04:47 PM

Jahern,
You sound like a good candidate for Goldwave. Several of us are using it to edit audio files and it is a perfect compliment to the MTU line. http://www.goldwave.com

Take Care,
George