MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Closed Thread

Old May 7th, 2003, 10:21 AM

Post writing cd+g I have on hard drive

I have several karaoke songs on my hard drive that I cannot copy to a disc using MicroStudio. I have read word for word on how to do this procedure, to NO avail. Please HELP!!!
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Dart Girl,

Quote:
I have several karaoke songs on my hard drive that I cannot copy to a disc using MicroStudio. I have read word for word on how to do this procedure, to NO avail. Please HELP!!!

How did they get there?

Regards,

Jon
Old May 7th, 2003, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jaddams
Dart Girl,

How did they get there?

Regards,

Jon [/b]
A friend of mine sent them to me. I am able to Double click on them, they come up on my computer, and I can sing to them.
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Frequent Member

Dart Girl..........

1. When you doubleclick on the file to play what is the
file extension?

a. Is it Bin
b. Is it CDG
c. Is it Zip
d. Is it Kar
e. Is it Kzm
f. Other

2. When you play the song, what player is it?

a. WinAmp
b. Miscrostudio
c. Dart
d. CDG Play Pro or Pe
d. PK Player
e. Other

3. How big is the File Size of the Karaoke Song you play?
Old May 7th, 2003, 05:56 PM

1. There are 2 files. One is a WAV. The other Winamp Media File. The Winamp Media File is the one I can play as Karaoke on my computer. I think the file comes as a WAV, then I download on my hard drive, and it turns into Winamp Media File. I'm not that computer literate to be sure I am answering your questions correctly.

2. A.

3. 3.05mb 367mb 8.01mb ? I think. If it's the number beside the word SIZE: when I touch the file with my arrow.
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Honor Roll

When you say they are karaoke files, do you mean the words come up on the screen like a "normal" karaoke disc? Or do you mean they play the song without the words. When you say you can play them on your computer and sing along, are you loading them into another program other than Winamp, and the words show up and highlight?

A few problems come to mind:

1. First and foremost, are they original songs? i.e. Your freind that e-mailed them to you wrote them, or you wrote and your friend recorded them or something like that. If not, and these are copyrighted songs, than this is considered illegal file sharing. (unless you gained permission from the copyright owner).

2. Are you sure they are actually karaoke songs, and not just instrumental versions of the songs.

3. It is possible that if these were made from a karaoke disc, they were imported by some other program not designed to import karaoke files.

4. If they were imported using a CD+G compatible program, it is possible that the drive used to import them was not, or they were imported wrong.

5. Are there any other files that go along with the Winamp Media File? i.e. has the same filename but different extension.
Lets say you have a song called abcdefg.mp3 is there also a file called abcdefg.mcg or something like that?

I would talk to your friend and see what program was used to make/import the files. Or find out what type of files they are and what program is used to play them. Without knowing this, its hard to say how to get them onto a disc.

Flip

P.S. If they are copyrighted songs and you are copying them, please don't do it...song piracy hurts us all...Thanks
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:53 PM

CONVERT FILES TO WAVE A POSSIBILITY

Any song that is an actual wave file would be 20,000 or more kb or about 20 mb or more. Any such wave file could be burned onto a disc by microstudio using the Audio CD option in the "Custom Assembly" flap. No graphics will be present. You will notice that only wave files are available to be chosen once "Audio CD" has been selected. CDG files are almost exactly the same size, BIG, as wave files. Because of graphics, some size is added

With a wave file as one of your files, it is not possible to get a Karaoke disc with graphics from your files. Additionally, Microstudio will support wave files to get an audio disc but will not support other music files like wma, mp3 or ogg vorbis.

My first inclination is to tell you to convert all your files to wave files then Microstudio will burn them fine but only as non-graphic audio cd.

Fear not, if you do need advice on file conversions, I will give you some when the need is expressed.

My next inclination is to get some more knowledge and get Winamp going on my computer so I can see what's going on with your computer. I'm not familiar with MP3-g or KMA (the hoster condensed file) and I 'm not sure about the players involved, but feel I need a lesson. (anybody?) your problem might go there and I need to get smarter in that area.

I do know that Winamp will Bogart some of your computers filing systems and call a music file in any format a Winamp music file. So the fact that your computer says this is not necessarily helpful. Make sure you know the extensions of your files to know what they really are.

Last edited by jahern; May 8th, 2003 at 07:30 PM.
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:47 AM

Flip,
1. I don't know if they are originals. I think they came as a zip file to me.

2. I'm not sure if they're actuall karaoke, I thought they were. The lyrics come up on my computer with music, no vocals other than background sometimes. The songs "appear and play" on my computer just like the karaoke disc that I have in my personal collection "appear and play" on my karaoke machine.

3. I don't know if they were made from a disc.

4. ??? NO CLUE

5. Totally Confused on this one!

P.S. I would never do this, so how do I find out if they are/are not copyrighted?
Old May 8th, 2003, 11:58 AM

If the music wasn't written by the person who gave them to you there's probably a 99.9% chance they are copywritten, unless they are really old stuff and the original copywrite owner has been dead over 75 years, and/or the music has been declared public domain.

Last edited by George; May 8th, 2003 at 12:35 PM.
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Honor Roll

Q5. Are there any other files that go along with the Winamp Media File? i.e. has the same filename but different extension.
Lets say you have a song called abcdefg.mp3 is there also a file called abcdefg.mcg or something like that?

A5. Totally Confused on this one!

OK, go to the zip file that you received, and right click on it choose explore, it should show you what files are included in the zip file. Report back as to what these files are, and someone should be able to come up with a way to convert them, if it's possible.
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:17 PM

I did the click,explore advice and the file is WAV.
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:19 PM

Dart Girl,

A WAV file is not a cdg file and has not lyrics attached to it. I am afraid you cannot make a CDG out of it.

Regards,

Jon
Old May 9th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Possibly a wrap up on this question

Dart Girl, thank you for asking us. All here have done an admirable job at instructing you in various things to keep in mind as to illegal or legal. The public schools (and the music industry too!) are sorely remiss in educating the public on copyright law.

Now, since your files are .wav, that tells us all they only contain audio and no lyrics.

If you want to add the lyrics that you know (you are singing them aren't you ), you can use our Karaoke Pro software to do that. You simply run KPro 4.0, open the music .wav file, and type in the lyrics line by line as you want them to appear on the screen. Then, in the Place Lyrics screen, simply play the music and tap the spacebar where each word is to start highlighting to the music. When you are done, you can go back and play and edit any words you sorta goofed on (we all do, so feel part of the family here!). When you are through polishing, you simply export the song as a .cdg file.

Then, you open Microstudio , go to the Custom Assembly tab, click the Add Track from - Hard Drive, locate your .cdg song, click Add or OK (I forget ) and voila, it appears in a list to write to a CDR disc, as a Karaoke cdg disc. Of course, you can add other favorite songs, or ones you have created to this list before burning to a disc.

Now, before I leave this post, I should mention it sounds like you are a lady of quality who wants to be legal also. Call your friend and ask where she/he got these files from. If they are from a CD you need to go buy it before you use them legally. It is highly unlikely anyone would take you to court, but the wrong questions just before you go on stage... by a friend... a heckler... or a legal-minded show host... and you could turn a nice shade of crimson from not having the answer... and probably not go on stage to perform. Now, that is the worst scenerio I can think of, but it could happen. Simply crossing your T's and dotting your I's as to being legal, will give you the total confidence that YES... I BOUGHT THESE SONGS! That is what all of us (In my humble opinion) are trying to say to you.

Karaoke can be the most awesome experience when you can go up there and strut and crow with confidence. Don't let a nagging "legal or not" question turn it into a nightmare. I'm sure I speak for all here, and we applaud your desire to do it right.

Now, throw your next punch....
Old May 10th, 2003, 08:14 PM

I'm totally confused on all this. It is very hard for ME, personally to communicate this way. Going back and forth, from the forum to my files, back to the forum, to see if I'm doing things correctly is not as easy for me, as it would be if I were talking on the phone LIVE with someone, instead of trying to virtually figure out all this by myself.
Old May 10th, 2003, 08:23 PM

Dart Girls,

It's very simple. You have a WAV file. WAV files DO NOT have lyrics and you cannot make CDGs out of them.

Talking with someone, on the telephone or in person, would not change this fact.

Sincerely,

Jon
Old May 10th, 2003, 10:20 PM

I am confused as well

I can understand your confusion. Let's go through what has been said so far and I want to make some points that might help dissipate the confusion. (Of course it's better to be talking with someone live, but that would certainly add cost to the product)

1. You made sure that at least one of the files in question is a wave file.
Quote:
I did the click,explore advice and the file is WAV.

2. People are telling you that Wave files don't have lyrics but you say, Quote:

I'm not sure if they're actuall karaoke, I thought they were. The lyrics come up on my computer with music, no vocals other than background sometimes. (By vocals I assume you mean background singing voices, when others say vocals, they are referring to visible karaoke lyrics.)

3. If this is the case with all your files, then I am confused, but I have some things in my mind.

A long time ago I was surfing the net and came across a program to make karaoke for the computer. I didn't have any success making any files, and gave up. This process, however, was never intended to be burned onto disc. It was not Midi-Karoke either. It was intended to use a real music file, probably Wave, and view lyrics on the computer.

Perhaps this is similar to what you have on your computer.

4. Flipeoke has hinted that some processes, such as the one I suggested above, might have a sort of parallel file that sits on top of the music file and plays the lyrics as the music plays. (At least I think that that is what he is hinting at):

Quote:

5. I'm curious. Do you have these parallel files?

6. Whatever you are looking at on your computer, these files are definitely not the kind of files that can be burned onto a Karaoke disc such as what are most common at the usual Karaoke places.

The common disc format used at these places is called CDG (or CD-Graphics) Some people even refer to the discs as CDGs:

Quote:
WAV files DO NOT have lyrics and you cannot make CDGs out of them. was indicated by jaddams, whom I respect and admire.

7. You can however make CDG FILES using KPRO 4.0. using Wave Files These CDG files can THEN be used to make CDG discs (or CDGs) Directions were supplied in this forum by ADMIN. Please don't be confused at the difference between making CDG KARAOKE DISCS with wave files (IMPOSSIBLE), and making CDG FILES using Wave files (NECESSARY) YOU HAVE TO USE WAVE FILES TO MAKE THESE CDG FILES.

8. Wave files, used to Make cdg files, can also be burned by Microstudio onto a normal, non-graphic, audio disc.

9. Any burning of a CDG file onto a graphics Karaoke disc requires a certain kind of CD burner, discussed ad infinitum in other places in these forums and in the Web page.

Long messages tend to be confusing because people don't read them carefully. If you read this carefully and still have questions about what I said please respond again with questions and I will do my best to clarify.
Good Luck

Last edited by jahern; May 11th, 2003 at 12:17 AM.
Old May 10th, 2003, 10:36 PM

Not trying to be a smart alec or anything like that, but wouldn't it just be a whole lot simpler to just ask the person you got the files from what kind of files they are than to have all this speculation going on?

Surely they ought to know what they sent you.

George

Last edited by George; May 10th, 2003 at 11:36 PM.
Old May 11th, 2003, 01:38 AM

jaddams,

But the lyrics DO show up on my computer. That is how I sing along to the songs. I went to the file again, double clicked on it, and under the General Tab it says this:

Sound_Choice_7532_07
Type of file: Winamp media file
Opens with: Winamp
Size: 2.96 MB (3,109,582 bytes)
Size on disk: 2.96 MB (3,112,960 bytes)

I THINK it was a WAV File (BEFORE) I opened it or unzipped it or Something.

DartGirl
Old May 11th, 2003, 04:49 AM
Honor Roll

Well, going by the description you just gave, regardless of what type of file it is, and whether or not it plays and shows the words, is immaterial. My reasoning for this is: the filename is:

Sound_Choice_7532_07

Which leads me to believe that it came from Sound Choice Disc # 7532 Track 7 which should make it: Baby, I Need Your Lovin' - The Four Tops.

If this is the case there is no legal way that this file could be shared. Delete it. It doesn't matter what type of file, whether it plays or not, how it was made, what size etc... it is illegal.

If this is not the song in question, then it is named wrong and we have to look further to figure out what type of file it is...

The easiest way to do this is: Talk to your friend, ask what type of file it is, and what program (besides Winamp) is used to play it so that the lyrics come up. I do know that Winamp has a sort of lyrics plug in, but to my knowledge, it only searches the internet for lyrics, and displays them in a mini-browser, but as you stated:

The lyrics come up on my computer with music, no vocals other than background sometimes. The songs "appear and play" on my computer just like the karaoke disc that I have in my personal collection "appear and play" on my karaoke machine.

So this does not appear to be using Winamp to display the lyrics like a karaoke player. (or perhaps there is a plug-in that I am not familiar with)

(Ignore this Dart Girl a ? for the rest)

Does anyone know of a karaoke program that might make a "self-contained" karaoke file? Kinda like a executable zip file, allows it to play itself?

Only other option I can think of (again assuming that it is not a song from a Sound Choice or any other copyrighted disc) would be to e-mail the files to me and I can look at them and see what they are. If it is possible to convert them I will be able to tell you how to do it. However if it is a copyrighted song, I will delete it and inform you to do the same.

Flip
Old May 11th, 2003, 08:39 AM

Yeah, a talk with the friend is long overdue. Might also ask how they were obtained by that person. He/she may have imported them from a cd with our well know competitor who uses the combination .WAV/.BIN as Karaoke, which Microstudio could not recognize.
It's nothing but guesswork without some solid facts other than they won't burn in Microstudio.

ADMIN has already give the solution...

George
Closed Thread