MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 24th, 2010, 03:06 PM
VIP

Re: Wireless video receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird74 View Post
I ordered one of these last year & tried everything at home to get it to work. After talking with them by phone, they tell me it won't work where there is "wireless internet" (we have a wireless router for our home network), as the signals interfere with each other. They don't tell you this ahead of time. So, since it is useless at home, I figured it might not work good on the job, as you never know if there is any other wireless connections nearby. So, unless they have figured out how to have more than 1 wireless connection running at the same time, I wouldn't try it again.

I do know of someone who used one at one of their Shows & there was intermittent signal loss throughout the evening.
Thanx Sky, that;s what I figured. But sheesh, there is wireless something everywhere, microwavess, cell phones, etc. etc., and I've heard that all these things render it useless, including ppl standing in between receiver and transmitter. I'm gonna try to get a return authorization from the seller.

Old March 24th, 2010, 03:44 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Thanx Sky, that;s what I figured. But sheesh, there is wireless something everywhere, microwavess, cell phones, etc. etc., and I've heard that all these things render it useless, including ppl standing in between receiver and transmitter. I'm gonna try to get a return authorization from the seller.
They definitely should tell you that other "wireless" can interfere with the signal & cause it to not work. Maybe they figure since it's so cheap, that it will work in some places & worth keeping They did take it back & give me my money back, so that's good. Hope they will for you also.
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

The only other thing that should interfere is wireless network and unless the establishment is the one with wireless network then any outside ones should not interfere.
Lonman did say he had to put the transmitter and receivers up high to get over people as they are line of sight, meaning bodies will interfere with the signal.
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:28 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
The only other thing that should interfere is wireless network and unless the establishment is the one with wireless network then any outside ones should not interfere.
Lonman did say he had to put the transmitter and receivers up high to get over people as they are line of sight, meaning bodies will interfere with the signal.
Unfortunately, some of the Clubs have wireless networks with their computers also. My friend who used it at the Eagles, had it set up "in line of site" so that nothing interferred, but still there was occasional intermittent signal loss. So, I just wouldn't want to rely on it, since you never know what anyone has turned on at any given time. I'll stick to the old-fashioned wiring - less to worry about
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:17 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird74 View Post
Unfortunately, some of the Clubs have wireless networks with their computers also. My friend who used it at the Eagles, had it set up "in line of site" so that nothing interferred, but still there was occasional intermittent signal loss. So, I just wouldn't want to rely on it, since you never know what anyone has turned on at any given time. I'll stick to the old-fashioned wiring - less to worry about
Skybird is correct, there is some intermittent interference once in a while, and the microwave oven in the gig that I use mine in, will cause havoc while in operation, and I set up mine in a lower location and at the beginning when I change from satellite to Karaoke, the bodies mingling around the pool table will cause some breakup of the signal, but it gets better/stronger as the night/show progresses. I use the x-10 as a work around for a second display on a larger flatscreen about 40 ft away from my station. This gig is in a small sportsbar that is wall to wall singers, no stage, so the more displays that I can create, the better. If you remember, it was because the owner wouldn't allow me to do any additional wiring, because he leases, and anything that he installs permanently, will stay with the building if and when he vacates. I'm sure that once the show is a little more established, that I will be able to sell him on a permanent solution. For the time being, it suits my purpose to use the wireless sender/receiver, and the crowd puts up with the intermittent signal loss...

P.S. Also make sure that the sending unit is on the computer, and the receiving unit is on the TV... easy to switch around, as they are similar looking!

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A

Last edited by RIKKI TIKKI; March 24th, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:27 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKI TIKKI View Post
Skybird is correct, there is some intermittent interference once in a while, and the microwave oven in the gig that I use mine in, will cause havoc while in operation, and I set up mine in a lower location and at the beginning when I change from satellite to Karaoke, the bodies mingling around the pool table will cause some breakup of the signal, but it gets better/stronger as the night/show progresses. I use the x-10 as a work around for a second display on a larger flatscreen about 40 ft away from my station. This gig is in a small sportsbar that is wall to wall singers, no stage, so the more displays that I can create, the better. If you remember, it was because the owner wouldn't allow me to do any additional wiring, because he leases, and anything that he installs permanently, will stay with the building if and when he vacates. I'm sure that once the show is a little more established, that I will be able to sell him on a permanent solution. For the time being, it suits my purpose to use the wireless sender/receiver, and the crowd puts up with the intermittent signal loss...

P.S. Also make sure that the sending unit is on the computer, and the receiving unit is on the TV... easy to switch around, as they are similar looking!
I guess that's my whole point. At some point; anywhere you are, especially in any public place in any city/town, etc. there is going to be some interference from some source,even if it is a wireless network across the street passing thru or whatever, pretty much renders these things useless if you are looking for some clarity for lyrics, ads, slide shows, and nice clear videos. Why show the audience a semi-pro look after we've spent all this money and time on professional equipment. The last place to scrimp is the final output, what the people see. I don't want them blinking there eyes all night (or at any time during the night) on wavy lines cutting through what should be a clear product.

Old March 25th, 2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
I guess that's my whole point. At some point; anywhere you are, especially in any public place in any city/town, etc. there is going to be some interference from some source,even if it is a wireless network across the street passing thru or whatever, pretty much renders these things useless if you are looking for some clarity for lyrics, ads, slide shows, and nice clear videos. Why show the audience a semi-pro look after we've spent all this money and time on professional equipment. The last place to scrimp is the final output, what the people see. I don't want them blinking there eyes all night (or at any time during the night) on wavy lines cutting through what should be a clear product.
This is what seprates the pro from the fly by night. Never cut a corner in the finished product. The pro that does that never has to worry about the "pirate", although i know some pretty pro pirates. Not all "pirates" are imitators, or wannabees, some are just as good or better than the "honest" Kj. There are some high dollar wireless systems that do really work and i suspect $2-300 will do the trick.
muzicman144
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:36 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
I agree Dale, but there was nothing wireless in my home, and as soon as I got 10 feet away in my living room (it was advertised as a product that could be used to watch TV, internet, games, etc. from any room in the house) it was practically useless.