MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Closed Thread

Old June 8th, 2011, 11:45 AM

pfc.sys

Does Microstudio (or any MTU product for that matter) use the lower filter driver PFC.sys (by Padus)? I'm having minor errors related to the lower filter pfc.sys on control class 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 and trying to trace it back to the program that installed it.
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Re: pfc.sys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusicGeek View Post
Does Microstudio (or any MTU product for that matter) use the lower filter driver PFC.sys (by Padus)? I'm having minor errors related to the lower filter pfc.sys on control class 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 and trying to trace it back to the program that installed it.
To the best of my knowledge, no MTU programs don't use this. I can't be 100% sure though.
From what I have found on research there are a lot of different programs that can install it including Adobe programs.
When do you see the errors? Is this on a Windows 7 64 bit system?
Old June 12th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Submit a Support Ticket.
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:48 PM

Still waiting for a response.
Old June 28th, 2011, 02:26 PM

Since nobody at MTU will respond to the support ticket thread, I'm reposting here:

mtusupport - Ibelieve Microstudio uses the pfc.sys file, and yes it did use it in the lower filters location for sure. So this would be the product that would do anything with that file.

06/17/2011 09:33

mtusupport - If you are running 64 bit, then you need to have version 4.23, which pulled this file out and will run under 64 bit. Just noticed you had 4.21 as the version showing.

06/18/2011 13:12

me - I tried updating to 4.23 (from my current 4.21) and got the message that it’s been over 12 months, etc. I thought that wasn’t going to apply to bug fix updates. I receive the same error on updating Keyrite 2.20 to 2.21.
Scott

06/23/2011 14:14

me - Still waiting to hear back from you. Is this just another bug with the webserver or am I going to have to pay for these bug fix updates?

Last edited by ddouglass; June 28th, 2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Removed email for your protection.
Old June 30th, 2011, 01:56 PM

I'm not sure why MTU has apparently given up on customer service but can anyone answer this question? I cannot install Microstudio 4.23 over 4.21 nor can I install Keyrite 2.21 over 2.20. I receive the error that it has been over 12 months, etc. and it takes me to the upgrade page. MTU's blog states: "Bug repairs are now free to those who can install the last major release. When we fix reported bugs in the latest released version, we set the install date to the same as the prior major release with those bugs. Thus, if you can install the prior major release, you can install the fixed upgrade(s) even if they were physically made available months or years later."
So if bug repairs are free (as they should be) why won’t it install?

Last edited by ddouglass; June 30th, 2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old June 30th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

One question, was the version Microstudio 4.21 that you are trying to install 4.23 over, the actual version you originally payed for or was that in itself upgraded from earlier version ?
Same with the Keyright software.

The upgrade policy is Here: http://www.mtu.com/support/info.htm#UpgradePolicy
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old June 30th, 2011, 03:20 PM

I strongly doubt that was the version I paid for originally as I try to keep up with bug fixes. MTU's own blog clearly states "you can install the fixed upgrade(s) even if they were physically made available months or years later." so it shouldn't matter anyway. When I replaced my office computer I uninstalled all MTU software from the old machine and reinstalled it on the new one. I was able to reinstall Microstudio 4.21 and Keyright 2.20 without issue but not 4.23 and 2.21. As per MTU the 4.23 is needed to correct the pfc.sys error I have. Keyrite is not that important as I rarely use it but like I said, I try to keep up with the fixes.

Last edited by ddouglass; June 30th, 2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

I'm just a customer like you but bug fixes for a version don't go on forever, there are always bug fixes applied even in major upgrades.
bug fixes are usually classed as .01 to .09 when you get to .10 this can be an upgrade.
This 12 month rule only came out fairly recently, I'm not sure of the date.
But as an assumption lets say you actually paid for version 4.006a released May 23, 2008 and you have managed to upgrade so far upto 4.21. released Aug 4th 2009 then you have already had all your free upgrades. 4.23 released Oct 2010 using 64bit was not a bug fix it's an upgrade to 64bit, it may have a few other fixes in it but it's classed as a major upgrade.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:59 PM

Angry Re: pfc.sys

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I'm an IT by trade (MCSB, MCSE, CET, A+) and, in my experience, the number to the left of the decimal is the version. The first number to the right indicates updates to that version (minor feature enhancement bug fixes, etc), the second number right is usually nothing more than a patch. Almost every company I have worked with charges for version upgrades and never for updates or patches. Sometimes version upgrades will be free or discounted if the previous version was purchased within a certain time frame of the latest release.
Call it what you want making a program for Windows work on Windows is a bug fix. MTU should not expect their customer to pay for their programming ineptitude. Their constant Microsoft bashing is not only pointless but rather childish.
Bottom line is that MTU support has become almost nonexistant. Look at the dates on the support ticket thread above. I have still not heard anything from them. See their facebook page for more examples of less than happy customers.
Sorry if I seem a little over frustrated. I have purchased licenses for EVERY software piece they sell. I expected higher quality support. Instead we get "It's Microsoft's fault" and "We spent $xxxx.00 to make our products work as they are supposed to", etc.

Last edited by ddouglass; June 30th, 2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old June 30th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I'm an IT by trade (MCSB, MCSE, CET, A+) and, in my experience, the number to the left of the decimal is the version. The first number to the right indicates updates to that version (minor feature enhancement bug fixes, etc), the second number right is usually nothing more than a patch. Almost every company I have worked with charges for version upgrades and never for updates or patches. Sometimes version upgrades will be free or discounted if the previous version was purchased within a certain time frame of the latest release.
Call it what you want making a program for Windows work on Windows is a bug fix. MTU should not expect their customer to pay for their programming ineptitude. Their constant Microsoft bashing is not only pointless but rather childish.
Bottom line is that MTU support has become almost nonexistant. Look at the dates on the support ticket thread above. I have still not heard anything from them. See their facebook page for more examples of less than happy customers.
Sorry if I seem a little over frustrated. I have purchased licenses for EVERY software piece they sell. I expected higher quality support. Instead we get "It's Microsoft's fault" and "We spent $xxxx.00 to make our products work as they are supposed to", etc.
First thing is MTU has always used the number to the left of the decimal and the first decimal place to indicate upgrades and those had not been free under their old policy. Now it is free if you have purchased a new license or an upgrade to your license within the last 12 months. If not then you will need to purchase the discounted upgrade.
As far as MTU's Facebook page I don't call two posts about problems being a mass problem compared to the number of programs sold by MTU. And by the way both of their problems were solved.
The only way you will be able to install the newer versions will be to buy the upgrades. Sorry but that is your answer.

By the way I changed the fonts on your posts. There is no need to increase your font size to indicate your displeasure.
Old June 30th, 2011, 08:34 PM

I'm not sure what font size you were looking at. From my end it looked the same as the rest of the thread. Now it's tiny. None the less that was not intentional.

Perhaps you can edit MTU's blog like you did my post to remove the statement that "bug repairs are now free to those who can install the last major release" as it is obviously incorrect.

I was referring to the Facebook post by Joy Prue and the response by Kevin Backintheday Ray.
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm not sure what font size you were looking at. From my end it looked the same as the rest of the thread. Now it's tiny. None the less that was not intentional.

Perhaps you can edit MTU's blog like you did my post to remove the statement that "bug repairs are now free to those who can install the last major release" as it is obviously incorrect.

I was referring to the Facebook post by Joy Prue and the response by Kevin Backintheday Ray.
Sorry I can't change the blog. I will to talk to Admin tomorrow about this. I don't promise any change, but I will discuss it with him and let you know what I find out.
As I said those have been the only two who have posted a problem on there and they have been taken care of. Most people don't come back and post here or on Facebook when the problem has been solved.
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

I need to get some information from you so we can look into this. Please do not post it here in the forum because the forum is public and will expose you to spam or worse. Please send me a private message with the information.
I need your name and email address that your programs are registered under. This is your account information.
Also I need your ticket number for the one you quoted above.

Please send me this information in a private message and do not post it here.
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Administrator

TheMusicGeek, I have reviewed your account and found the following facts:

You bought Microstudio on June 8, 2007 in KSuite 4 for $139.95 along with 3 other products; a fraction of the retail price of Microstudio.

Our policy has always been 12 months free upgrades. However, we extended free upgrades on all our products until our new script was reliable and secure.

Once our script went active, your Microstudio Upgrade Expire Date was set to August 5, 2009, giving you 26 months free upgrade. Normally, you would have needed to buy an upgrade to install 4.21 you are currently running. The changes after 4.21 are shown below:

Release 4.22 included:
NEW - Dual Display Now Supported - If your computer supports dual display, you can now click and drag the Singers Display to the Extended display to see it on a second monitor/TV.

NEW - Recorded File Added To Playlist - Recording in sync to the playing song, when you click the Save button and add a filename, the file is stored in the selected folder and also added at the bottom of the Playlist. You can then click this new entry and play it to hear it or to record another instrument, singer, etc. in sync with the former one and music. You can "Overdub" record as many layers as you want. Each will be a separate file containing all the prior recordings, allowing you to go back to any prior one if needed.

UPGRADE - Default Drive NONE Selection - Since some computers come today with no CD/DVD drive, we added a new NONE option for the default Read and Write drives. This allows you to run all the other functions but not Import, Write or Duplicate discs.

Release 4.23 included:
NEW - Runs on Windows 32- and 64-bit Versions - Everything now works on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7, Windows XP and Vista.

NEW - Automatic Check for Updates - When Microstudio first runs and the computer is on-line, it automatically checks to see if 7 days have passed since it last checked for a new version. If under 7 days, it won't check now. If more than 7 days, it checks for a new release. This does not delay the program running. The message that appears can be hidden "for version NNN" where NNN is the new version number. When a newer version is released later than this one, the message appears with text explaining this new version's features.

NEW - Help Menu Check for Updates - Clicking this with the computer on-line immediately checks to see if a new version is released.

UPGRADE October 5 - SATA Optical Drives Not found on New Computers - Some new computer users started reporting Microstudio did not find their optical drives, even though Windows Explorer showed them. We quickly identified the problem and released a new 4.23 code that identifies and uses all optical drives. It's Help menu About Microstudio... dialog shows 4.23. for the version.

UPGRADE September 21 - New Computers Disable DVD Drives - Some new computers with power management software from the manufacturer can now disable (power off) DVD drives. Then these drives are not seen by Windows Explorer or Microstudio. Microstudio was not programmed to handle this, so you could not select a default drive OR Cancel out of the Default DVD Drive dialog. The only way out was to use Task Manager to shut down Microstudio. Now disable drives are allowed so you can select None and run Microstudio.

UPGRADE - Install UnZipper Code into Windows System32 - For some users, our Un-ZIP code must be in the Windows System32 folder. For all others it didn't matter. Thus, it is now installed there.

UPGRADE - Cancel Button in Detect Drive Dialog - The Cancel button now is grayed out if the Reader and Writer drives Registry settings don't exist, forcing you to select the drive(s) to use and clicking OK.

UPGRADE - Singer Screen Showed Half-Size - Old code for Windows 2000 in Hoster's Player checked for very wide desktops to prevent moving the display off the window. In past Windows versions, the Windows desktop was not "extended" to the second monitor, but was "stretched"; i.e. it was the same Desktop, but much wider. New monitors can now be set very wide such that this code was forcing Microstudio's Display #2 to half size. Now it appears full size on wide displays.

UPGRADE - NVidia Graphics Show Black and/or Garbled Lyrics - With the newest (09/2010) NVidia driver, some NVidia cards/chips would show either the lyrics in black (not their text color), or hold a partial Title page while lyrics wrote over it. Now the lyrics appear correctly in the right color with NVidia.

UPGRADE - Corrupted Disc Error Message - Under some cases with some drives, after a disc was finished burning this message could appear even when the written disc was good. It should not appear now unless the burned disc is bad.

FIXED - Hangs when playing second song from CD - Play a song from a CD track and stop it prematurely. Then trying to play a second song from the CD never starts and Microstudio hangs. This is fixed.

For our own reasons at that time we did NOT increment the 4.2x to 4.3x, even though these upgrades were NEW and UPGRADE features, with one FIXED item between the two.

The pfc.sys change was part of making Microstudio run on Windows 7 and 32/64-bits. This was a LARGE new task that cost us considerable senior staff resources. Many companies did not "upgrade" their existing products to run on Windows 7, but released NEW products. We chose to upgrade versus create a new product at a higher price.

The Microstudio 4.32 Install date is September 5, 2010. You have never purchased an upgrade for Microstudio. It's upgrade is 50% discounted, which is very generous compared to all competition.

As MTUSUPPORT answered in you Ticket, you need to buy the upgrade. To do this, download and install Microstudio 4.32, and a web page will appear that allows you to upgrade the Registration Code you are trying to install with. It's automated as much as we can to make it easy.
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:50 PM

"As MTUSUPPORT answered in you Ticket, you need to buy the upgrade."

Where exactly in the ticket did MTU Support answer this? Support said I needed 4.23 to resolve the pfc.sys error. I asked why I couldn't install 4.23 and support NEVER answered. It was Dale who tole me I had to pay for these fixes.
Closed Thread